Awoo.

Elements from other Sonic media

Linkabel

The other day while I was watching the Sonic OVA (or Sonic The Hedgehog Movie as other people know it) I noticed that some stuff from the movie were actually used (and some are still used) in the modern games beginning with Sonic Adventure but weren't really there in the classic games for example:

sonicova300x229.th.jpg

The scene where the tornado and an airstrip come out of Sonic and Tails home is again repeated in Sonic Adventure when the tornado and an airstrip comes out of the place where Tails lives.

1411085310201.th.jpg

Sonic running with his arm backwards and being able to run up the sides of the wall was again used in Sonic Adventure and the rest of the 3D games. Though I guess they got the idea from Sonic CD since when he does the Super Peel Out he does this too.

crawltonova.th.png

There is a part in the OVA where Sonic jumps and in mid-air he performs a spin dash and destroys a badnik, this to me was where they maybe got the idea of a homing attack (though this one can just be part of my imagination ).

capturensf.th.jpg

Throughout the movie every time Sonic runs really fast or performs some form of the spin dash, a blue streak appears behind him. This of course is used in the modern games every time the spin dash (in the adventure games) and the homing attack is used.

normalovaep1394.th.jpg

An urban city was used as a setting in the movie and even though the classic games did have some levels (like Starlight Zone for example) it wasn't until the modern games that have appeared more often.

I really think that a lot of the ideas used on the OVA where later reused on the actual games, but do you guys have other things in other Sonic media that later appeared in the games?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

AoStH have influenced the series quite a lot.

The most obvious one is Sonic's love for chili dogs and that Eggman seems to have 2 incompetent sidekicks spawned from this. Also AoStH gave Eggman his eye color in Sonic 06, though this is a bit subtle.

There might be others but I gotta go remember all this again. :P

Edited by Crow the BOOLET
  • Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps I'm missing the point of this topic, but aside from Amy, Charmy, and chili dogs, a lot of these suggestions don't come across as direct inspiration for the games so much as coincidentally-reused ideas. My only contribution in the former regard would be the use of SWATbots in Chronicles.

I'd consider most of the Canon Immigrants Bioware included in Chronicles as being a result of "Not knowing what the hell we're doing" rather than "true Canon Immigrants" with the exception of the SWATbots because they treat robotisization like it's something Eggman has always done when that isn't the case.

Anyways, didn't Sonic X originate the concept of Shadow's Inhibitor Rings? I'm sure it was also the origin of the dash he could do in SONIC '06 to obliterate the Mephiles clones after Shadow did exactly the same to Pale Bay Leaf's fleet in episode 68.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

a lot of these suggestions don't come across as direct inspiration for the games so much as coincidentally-reused ideas.

Well I think this is where it did come out first so I guess it's possible.

lalanb.th.jpg

Wasn't Cream designed for Sonic X, but circumstances made Sonic Advanced 2 release before the anime aired? I know I heard something like that... either that or she was intended to appear in Hereos first or something.

Also lets not forget the usage of Swatbots and the word Roboticizing in Chronicles. I know some of you might want to wave the game of as uncanon ( because of poor writers I guess ) But is having swatbots and a name for the process of placing animal into badnik such a bad thing?

Swatbots...technically no given that they're Swatbots in name only pretty much, but you know how it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of some fans.

Roboticisation is explicitly described as turning animals into robots, it is not the same as placing an animal in a Badnik.

With the Chronicles enemies, the issue for me was mostly that there were so many enemies from the actual games that they could've used. Game Eggman has used hundreds of different robot minions over the years, from classic badniks to Egg Pawns to the robots from '06; enough to fit basically any tone or aesthetic Chronicles' developers could've been aiming for. There was exactly zero reason to swap in Swatbots and roboticized animals instead, especially since roboticization turned out to be completely irrelevant to the plot.

Wasn't Cream designed for Sonic X, but circumstances made Sonic Advanced 2 release before the anime aired? I know I heard something like that... either that or she was intended to appear in Hereos first or something.

Also lets not forget the usage of Swatbots and the word Roboticizing in Chronicles. I know some of you might want to wave the game of as uncanon ( because of poor writers I guess ) But is having swatbots and a name for the process of placing animal into badnik such a bad thing?

I guess one can say that but for example I don't really remember ever hearing that Knuckles was a treasure hunter before the OVA and in the adventure games he was suddenly a treasure hunter. Now I know that we don't know this unless the creators come out and actually say that they got it from here, but like how they got Sonic's love for chili dogs from the cartoons it is possible they have gotten stuff from other places too.

Well what I mean is, everything in your op is too generic or vague to be considered, beyond some reasonable doubt, to have been the direct inspiration of something in later games. It's all possible but without further elaboration from official sources just seems unlikely. However, things like the quality of Shadow's bracelets, chili dogs, or Knuckles being a treasure hunter (though I thought that was in the S3 manual) are better choices because they're more specific. You don't need creator input to clearly that they pulled these ideas from other canons.

I personally disregard Chronicles and its strange continuity mashups - from the behind-the-scenes videos I always got the impression that BioWare were trying too hard to make a deep and complex Sonic canon by throwing together different elements from different continuities, possibly even without the knowledge that there were such clear boundaries. I can't imagine that we'll be seeing Swatbots or roboticisation in any other Sonic game any time soon, especially as I don't believe there is a Chronicles sequel on the cards... Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for homages to other canons, but with Chronicles it never felt, to me, like it was a concious choice so much as misinterpreting the differences that exist between continuities. In my opinion, anyway. :P

I was going to suggest that Tails' mechanical aptitude could have originated in the OVA, but I was forgetting about the Lunar Fox in Sonic the Fighters (I know, not canon, but still a game and it did pre-date the OVA) and, even earlier, the rocket booster on the original Tornado at the end of Sonic 2, which may or may not have been Tails' invention...

Edited by Bohrok Awakener

I was going to suggest that Tails' mechanical aptitude could have originated in the OVA, but I was forgetting about the Lunar Fox in Sonic the Fighters (I know, not canon, but still a game and it did pre-date the OVA) and, even earlier, the rocket booster on the original Tornado at the end of Sonic 2, which may or may not have been Tails' invention...

Tails' mechanical aptitude was basically there from the beginning, from fawning over the Tornado to basically becoming the de facto pilot of it

Tails' mechanical aptitude was basically there from the beginning, from fawning over the Tornado to basically becoming the de facto pilot of it

Well what I mean is, everything in your op is too generic or vague to be considered, beyond some reasonable doubt, to have been the direct inspiration of something in later games. It's all possible but without further elaboration from official sources just seems unlikely. However, things like the quality of Shadow's bracelets, chili dogs, or Knuckles being a treasure hunter (though I thought that was in the S3 manual) are better choices because they're more specific. You don't need creator input to clearly that they pulled these ideas from other canons.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought exactly the same thing about that third image you showed there, "wow, that looks like a homing attack." the others not so much, but, I don't think Sonic Team would have referenced the OVA,since it's a tad obscure and only people that have been fans for a while know about it.

I'm actually starting to watch the OVA now because of this thread, and already i'm making the connection of an anti-Eggman. Black Eggman = Eggman Nega, at least. The anime OVA's tone also forshadowed the dark tone of Shadow the Hedgehog. AHH SEE WUT I DID THAR I ITALIZIED SHADOW IN FORSHA- ah, nevermind that.

I'd dispute the homing attack being an OVA homage. Even though it required a shield, you could do a homing attack in Sonic 3D: Flickies Island.

lalanb.th.jpg

Also I forgot to put this in the first post...when I first fought against blaze in Sonic Rush I couldn't stop laughing when they headbutted like in this scene from the movie. I could just hear Sonic saying "Strange, isn't?"

sonic_blaze__ova_moment_by_aerobian_angel-d2yor66.png

Like this?

• Thumbs Up 2

sonic_blaze__ova_moment_by_aerobian_angel-d2yor66.png

Like this?

YES!! wow I cannot believe someone actually drew this jaja