Awoo.

Sonic Unlimited (formerly Sonic 2006 2D)

Lightspines

I thought this was pretty cool. I actually watched thru the whole video. I did notice the level design isn't branching but it doesn't bother me because it's just a fan game, like Dusk Golem said. Even the physics and running animation aren't a replica of the Advance games. I wish he'd create his own sprite to match the ingame model instead of ripping the Advance sprite like every other fan game / parody on youtube.

I thought this was pretty cool. I actually watched thru the whole video. I did notice the level design isn't branching but it doesn't bother me because it's just a fan game, like Dusk Golem said. Even the physics and running animation aren't a replica of the Advance games. I wish he'd create his own sprite to match the ingame model instead of ripping the Advance sprite like every other fan game / parody on youtube.

It's not the Sonic Advance sprites.

Edited by MarcelloF

I don't think it's a waste though. Once again, I can understand why it wouldn't interest people. But then, do any of us know the reason why he chose to do this? Maybe he enjoys doing it? It's a freelance project being distributed for free, it's not like he's being paid to do this or we have to pay to play it. It's a freelance project, he wanted to do it, and so he did it. I can respect that. Now if this was some retail game, I would have critique to give it. However, this isn't retail. This isn't official.
None of this changes anything. He's making a game, putting preview videos up for people to see, and will eventually put the game up for people to play. Criticizing it is 100% valid.

This isn't "wasting talent."
He's chaining himself down by copying '06 to the letter. What talent he has is being obscured by the poor design he's chosen to adopt. He's put years of effort into a game that will be bad because of the design he's taken rather than and in spite of his own skill. I would certainly call that "wasting talent".

I'm not seeing constructive criticism, I'm not seeing anything that could be used as productive feedback.
Large expanses of flat or nearly-flat ground. Groups of enemies dealt with by spamming the homing attack. Boosters, springs, and grind rails doing half the work of playing the game. While it's (presumably) not as buggy as the real '06, it's otherwise scarily accurate...and I say "scarily" because it's accurate all the way down to the flaws.
The worst part of Sonic '06 to me, worse than the glitches or the character models or even the story, was the need to hammer enemies with the exact same attack over and over again to defeat them. The same one-button move, the same terrible attack animation, the same sound effects. Again. And again. And again.

This game looks decently put together, but even in 2D, there is no situation in a Sonic game where you should have to use the homing attack more than once to destroy an enemy. You could maybe excuse Heroes for it because it needed a way to give Power characters a reason to exist, but it was stupid in '06 and, though I appreciate the effort, it's stupid here too.

But the thing is, the creator of this fan game is actively looking out for and recreating Sonic Team's crappy effort. The physics, the unnecessary speed boosters, frequent groups of enemies, all with health bars.

Hell he even kept the same issues that made the Silver boss fight such a pain. In the original, if Silver ever caught you in mid-air, you would never have enough time to recover before he grabbed you again, which essentially meaning you were dead if you found yourself in this situation... and that's still present in this fan game.

^^^ None of that is constructive?

Yet he's receiving the backhand of some hate just because he's being productive on something.
Buuuuulllllshiiiiitttt~

He's not receiving "hate" for being productive, he's getting criticism for his poorly designed game.

• Thumbs Up 7

None of this changes anything. He's making a game, putting preview videos up for people to see, and will eventually put the game up for people to play. Criticizing it is 100% valid.

He's chaining himself down by copying '06 to the letter. What talent he has is being obscured by the poor design he's chosen to adopt. He's put years of effort into a game that will be bad because of the design he's taken rather than and in spite of his own skill. I would certainly call that "wasting talent".

^^^ None of that is constructive?

Buuuuulllllshiiiiitttt~

He's not receiving "hate" for being productive, he's getting criticism for his poorly designed game.

It isn't poorly executed though, and it very much is achieving what it's setting out to do. The problem is people don't like what it's setting out to do, and then are using that as justification for the project being wrong. Much of the project is very well designed, except for complaints people have with the source material. Again, these complaints are based off of the original Next-Gen and dislike for the project come from it being a recreation of that and not on the project itself. The project itself is actually rather well crafted for what it wants to be. The problem others are having with it is that it's being something some don't want it to be, but it isn't existing to please them. It is public, yes, but there is some appeal to people there. That is preference, but I am not using it as justification to say the project is good. That is an opinion, something people are relying on to much to form their arguments. Again, ALL of the complaints you just pointed out boil down to, "I don't like Sonic 2006, this shouldn't be Sonic 2006," when the project is a recreation of Sonic 2006. Like it or not, that's what it is.

And it's alright if people don't like that. There was some constructive criticism, but I don't consider saying the project is a waste, saying the project should be something else, or baring personal dislike for the source material to be constructive, productive, or even useful arguments. Especially when the problem people are having is not with quality but of direction, which then sits down completely to personal preference and dependent if they liked the source material or not.

Edited by Dusk Golem
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been following this fangame for months, I even played the demos of Wave Ocean and Kingdom Valley, the first one is really boring and the graphics aren't that good, while Kingdom Valley has really great art and the engine is well made (sprites seem in 3D with the effects of the original game). Level Design is the only complain, all you do is homing attack - rail - homing attack - rail, which also happens in the real game. I'd like to see the match speed zones in 2D but I haven't seen them in videos/demos. However I know that they finished all the Sonic stages and bosses, after the first release they'll make Shadow, Silver and SuperSonic avaible in normal levels.

Why, is it okay to criticize one but not the other?

Because SEGA gets paid for it while this is an unofficial game.

That is constructive criticism.

Going by the stage the development is at and the carbon copying of '06's FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEMS, not "objective" or "excusable" ones, we say with a lot of justification that this game is incredibly misguided in what it's trying to achieve.

There's nothing remotely fun about spamming pitifully weak homing attacks to destroy robots with huge swathes of HP, slowing down the games already horribly slow pace. Putting '06 on a 2D plane does absolutely nothing for the game because bad game design is bad game design and the replication of the totally screwed physics shows without question that these people don't know how instrumental decent physics are to a game. This fangame is by far the finest example I've seen so far of this.

It's had effort put into it, no ones doubting that. But when talent and effort is turned to expertly imitating shit, it's such a pity and a waste.

Have you considered that the person might like Sonic 06?

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been following this fangame for months, I even played the demos of Wave Ocean and Kingdom Valley, the first one is really boring and the graphics aren't that good, while Kingdom Valley has really great art and the engine is well made (sprites seem in 3D with the effects of the original game). Level Design is the only complain, all you do is homing attack - rail - homing attack - rail, which also happens in the real game. I'd like to see the match speed zones in 2D but I haven't seen them in videos/demos. However I know that they finished all the Sonic stages and bosses, after the first release they'll make Shadow, Silver and SuperSonic avaible in normal levels.

Here's where I'm going to throw my two cents on this, I agree with you on this. The thing is, I don't disagree with the other guys since Sonic Next-Gen in 2D isn't the most desired thing in the world. But as well, I also respect his right to make it, and he is doing a damn fine job at it, to a fault people will complain about the game being to good at what it's trying to be.

This is either the product of elaborate genius or a fool, but needless of which he is talented, and I must say his approach to many of the situations, how to "2D-fy," if you will, are very crafty and creative and executed in a very accurate way to the source material. Making a remake is hard, but he's got the right spirit for it. The question comes though if he chose the best source material. I would say no, but I also know it's not my choice. It's his, it's freelance, and he's done fantastically for it and I respect what he's done.

However, I find it more fascinating as something of a showcase than an actual game, though.

• Thumbs Up 4

I wasn't sure in making a topic about this, mainly because of your guys reaction to the original game itself and the sheer bias to anything fanmade being related to 2006 as "bad" but i'm glad to see a few people here are not being biased and giving actual feedback.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because SEGA gets paid for it while this is an unofficial game.

That's a bit of a weak reason for why you can't criticize fanmade projects.

• Thumbs Up 1

It isn't poorly executed though, and it very much is achieving what it's setting out to do.
From the perspective of emulating '06, it's stunningly accurate. From the perspective of being a good game, it's shit.

One of these matters more than the other.

The problem is people don't like what it's setting out to do, and then are using that as justification for the project being wrong.
I don't like what it set out to do, but if it turned out to be a good game, I'd be ok with it. But it's not, it's a shitty game.

Again, these complaints are based off of the original Next-Gen and dislike for the project come from it being a recreation of that and not on the project itself.
It comes from the game having most of the same flaws that '06 had. It's not simply that it's '06 being copied; the problem is that it's also copying the things that made '06 shit, and those same things are making this game shit. I can look at
and, while it's not my ideal game, it's okay. Because the design isn't utter shit.

The problem others are having with it is that it's being something some don't want it to be,
No, the problem people have with it is that it's shit. And it'd be shit no matter what game it claimed to be, '06 remake, S3&K remake, entirely original, whatever.

Again, ALL of the complaints you just pointed out boil down to, "I don't like Sonic 2006, this shouldn't be Sonic 2006,"
You're missing the step where people point out what '06 did wrong and how this game is doing the same things.

That's a bit of a weak reason for why you can't criticize fanmade projects.

SEGA has a budget consisting of millions of Dollars. I'm not saying you can't criticize, but you have to take into account that the creator of Sonic 2006 2D hasn't got the funds to create a game which is as good as an official game.

SEGA has a budget consisting of millions of Dollars. I'm not saying you can't criticize, but you have to take into account that the creator of Sonic 2006 2D hasn't got the funds to create a game which is as good as an official game.
There are tons of other hacks and fangames designed better than this, by people with no more resources than him. This does not excuse shitty design.

Doubly so when he's just taking everything from '06 in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 2

SEGA has a budget consisting of millions of Dollars.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

As Diogenes said, this doesn't mean that the fan game creator can't be criticized.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 2

There are tons of other hacks and fangames designed better than this, by people with no more resources than him. This does not excuse shitty design.

Doubly so when he's just taking everything from '06 in the first place.

The person is making a 2d port of a 3D game, what did you expect? A whole new make over?

The person is making a 2d port of a 3D game, what did you expect? A whole new make over?
Yes! If they're going to make a game, I expect them to try to make a good one, not intentionally replicate the shitty parts of the original!

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

No, they don't.

I just am going to sit out on the debate and be Mr. Logic since I see where both sides of the fence are coming from and still stand by the stance he can do whatever with his time that he wants, and what he has is very impressive for what it is, but I must interlude in this.

Sonic Colors alone gained, at the very least, $80,000,000 (US Dollars). That's going by the assumption that Sonic Colors sold exactly 2 million copies (which it's sold more of) of the DS version (which isn't true as the Wii version I believe sold more). Sonic Colors also isn't the only game SEGA makes. They definitely have millions of dollars, the thing is each individual project may not have millions of dollars. However, you would be surprised how much making a game costs these days. SEGA was actually one of the few game companies that actually gained profit percentage from the year before, meaning that they overall gained more money than they had the last year.

EDIT: Changed what you said, so sorry for this now. XD;

Edited by Dusk Golem

Yes! If they're going to make a game, I expect them to try to make a good one, not intentionally replicate the shitty parts of the original!

Maybe he liked how Sonic 06 played?

Maybe he liked how Sonic 06 played?
Then he's got shitty taste, and his game was doomed to be shit whether he copied '06 or not.
  • Thumbs Up 4

I don't get why it's so hard to understand that a 2D port of a shitty game is still a shitty game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I've known about this for a good year or so.

I confronted them as soon as I heard that they were remaking Nextgen in 2D, and said that we (as in "me working with them") could help craft it into an all-around better Sonic game than the original, with better mechanics and implications of classic Sonic physics. They outright denied my help, because "they're not fans of that gameplay", and they also happen to be fans of the whole constant homing attack and automation crap. Why would you remake a game in 2D and not try to improve on the original in any way whatsoever, especially whenever deeply superior game mechanics exist for 2D Sonic gameplay?

That fangame from a while back, Sonic Adventure Remix, completely revamped the layouts whilst still keeping the important parts; and pretty much made the game feel like a classic game / Advance game hybrid plus a homing attack and a one-button Spindash. Since that's miles ahead of what they've got now, why don't they go that route?

• Thumbs Up 2

Then he's got shitty taste, and his game was doomed to be shit whether he copied '06 or not.

Grow up. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean others dislike it as well.

I hope this person gets a job in the game industry. At least he/she attempted to create a game...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Your expectations. Not those of the maker, or the intended target audience (who I assume are fans of the original).

And arguably everything is subjective anyway, so one man's trash is another's treasure. The internet is a big enough place. If you don't like something, then hey, don't look at it. Nobody's forcing this on you. This fangame was not made specifically to cater to your tastes and whims.

You've made your comment, stated your opinion and presented yourself accordingly.

With all due respect, now you're just raining on other people's parades.

Thanks to the YouTube link from goku, I've just downloaded the demonstration level of Kingdom Valley, so will come back with some hands-on personal opinion as soon as possible! Quite excited to see how it controls, and how smoothly it runs!

Your expectations. Not those of the maker, or the intended target audience (who I assume are fans of the original).

And arguably everything is subjective anyway, so one man's trash is another's treasure. The internet is a big enough place. If you don't like something, then hey, don't look at it. Nobody's forcing this on you. This fangame was not made specifically to cater to your tastes and whims.

You've made your comment, stated your opinion and presented yourself accordingly.

With all due respect, now you're just raining on other people's parades.

Thanks to the YouTube link from goku, I've just downloaded the demonstration level of Kingdom Valley, so will come back with some hands-on personal opinion as soon as possible! Quite excited to see how it controls, and how smoothly it runs!

This.

I agree with you 100%!

I'm also downloading when I return from picking up my phone.

Evidently they found some potential in Sonic 06 (environments, enemies, music and maybe gameplay) so they decided to make a "clean" version in 2D.

I don't know about you guys, but to me; 75% automation, spamming the same move over and over again (which has no variation in it's movement, btw), using said repetitive moves over and over to kill enemies with health bars of all things, a completely broken Spindash/roll (even more broken than Generations and S4 combined), and haphazardly placing more than two or three actions on one action button is NOT good game design, no matter how polished they made the game. Sorry.

This comes from a guy who's already played this, by the way.

EDIT: Oh yeah...

At least he/she attempted to create a game...

Your point is? Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 5