Awoo.

Sonic Unlimited (formerly Sonic 2006 2D)

Lightspines

I spent almost 20 minutes on Dusty Desert because of Instant Death pits. What makes it worse was the clunky controls. After finishing that level I gave up.

I for once ignored all you people saying this game is bad and gave it a try, but I was wrong to ignore you all and I apologise. This fangame STINKS. Like somebody else's crap that you see in the toilet and it has been there for weeks. No kidding. IMO, it's even worse than the original.

I applaud the team that attempted to port a game that is crappy to begin with in the first place in to 2D, but honestly, it's a waste of time and this shouldn't get this kind of publicity at all. I'm going to uninstall the game as soon as I finished this post and please guys, STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME if you have yet to play it. You'll thank me later.

The custom art is actually pretty cool, and they way they used some level layouts from the original (sans the z-axis) was quite clever. I'd like to see this team try and attempt a Genesis type Sonic game with high quality pixel art.

• Thumbs Up 1

This topic in a nutshell:

"Hey, some people created a free game for us to download in their spare time. LET'S COMPARE IT TO RETAIL GAMES AND OUR OWN IDEAS."

Seriously. It's a short, entertaining little game that basically boils down to an odd experiment. I had fun with it. Your mileage will vary. No reason to go on and on about it like this.

Edited by Legendary Pine Tree
  • Thumbs Up 4

This topic in a nutshell:

"Hey, some people created a free game for us to download in their spare time. LET'S COMPARE IT TO RETAIL GAMES AND OUR OWN IDEAS."

Seriously. It's a short, entertaining little game that basically boils down to an odd experiment. I had fun with it. Your mileage will vary. No reason to go on and on about it like this.

When you reach for and miss the absolute bottom of entertainment, it stops being a game and starts being a trainwreck. And like with real trainwrecks, the people here are trying to analyze just what went wrong to stop it from happening again. The reason the topic survived this long is that some people believed the train was perfectly safe and that the model is perfectly fit for production, all the while ignoring the burning husk of twisted metal right before them. People obviously take issue with that.

And perhaps some comparisons are unfair on a fangame, but just look at I Wanna Be The Guy. A one man team with little experience, with basic gameplay and mostly primitive sprites has managed to become a (albeit small) icon of gaming culture, whereas this frankly quite impressively skilled individual has created an awful game as a tribute to an awful game, and shall probably end up forgotten in a month or two. It's a sad waste of potential, even by those meager standards.

Edited by Soma
  • Thumbs Up 4

And perhaps some comparisons are unfair on a fangame, but just look at I Wanna Be The Guy. A one man team with little experience, with basic gameplay and mostly primitive sprites has managed to become a (albeit small) icon of gaming culture, whereas this frankly quite impressively skilled individual has created an awful game as a tribute to an awful game, and shall probably end up forgotten in a month or two. It's a sad waste of potential, even by those meager standards.

I wanna be who?

So a few pages back I said if this game isn't twice as repulsive as Sonic 2006, I'd be severely disappointed due to all the whining.

And... I have to admit...

Yep, disappointed. This wasn't all that horrific at all. Still pretty damn bad but pretty much on par with the original.

For every bit that translated horribly into 2D there was something that translated not bad at all. Just like the original, some bits were goddamn awful and some bits were surprisingly pleasantly playable. In particular Aquatic Base and Egg Wyvern did end the game on a high in terms of stuff that I actually found easier in this version (and pretty much all levels benefitted from skipping over the mach speed, snowboarding and Tails/Knuckles/Silver sections).

I can understand people ragequitting at Dusty Desert, Silver and Flame Core though. Absoloute total lowpoints there. I did have to put on a brave face to keep at it with those.

But yeah, more or less how I imagined it'd be. Sure as hell isn't worth 300mb on my hard drive though so I will be uninstalling it.

I hope what the people learned from this will be used for better projects in the future, coz they clearly have skills.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wanna be who?

Hence "albeit small." :P

Or, for a more legitimate reply, this game.

Edited by Soma

Well since people seem to dislike this game quite a bit, I can say that they did copy something from the original a little too good.

Oh wow...this thread...this how it must have been 5 years ago.

If the intention is to make the game like the original, then I can't call that a failure since they achieve that. And for some reason I laughed instead of getting frustrated when Silver got me and yelled "It's no use!".

Buut...Tropical Jungle is another case...>8(

Buut...Tropical Jungle is another case...>8(

Yeah seriously... I can only assume there weren't more complaints about this because most people couldn't tolerate Flame Core. For those who don't want to play further, Tropical Jungle, while doing us a favour in not repeating Dusty Desert - there is no Act 2 involving insta-death water sans Elise - the swinging vines with flowers not only do not flash at the optimal height, but nonetheless REQUIRE the optimal height when pushing jump or you're on a direct trip to the bottomless pit below.

Also make sure NOT to hold down the jump button when you fly off, it makes no difference other than causing you to air dash the moment the scripted exit off the vine is over, and resulting in you being unable to homing attack the floating enemies ahead (again, insta-death pit).

Oh, well, nvm then. :/ Is the final battle against Eggman any good?

The Eggman battle was surprisingly refreshing for a boss fight really. Gotta give the creators props for that nice Egg Wyvern Sprite though, maybe someone could use that thing for a sprite movie someday.

Oh, and no, I wish I had footage.

Egg Cerberus Boss

Jump to 5:25, then even replicated the game freezing for a second while Sonic is spinning before showing the results screen:

It's creepy how closely they mimicked the original game O___O

Oh my god, the Egg Cerberus bounces around like Pinkie Pie. Even if it's achieved nothing else, this game has managed to make me actually like one of Eggman's boring '06 robots.

...I still don't think I'll bother with it, though, even just for the novelty. Maybe I'll try it out when Silver's playable; that might be kind of interesting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh my god, the Egg Cerberus bounces around like Pinkie Pie. Even if it's achieved nothing else, this game has managed to make me actually like one of Eggman's boring '06 robots.
  • Thumbs Up 1