Awoo.

Your (least) favorite Sonic model?

Match

Sonic's look has changed a LOT over the the years, and despite a few changes (greeneyesshoebucklesquills) the general design has remained intact.

However, the different 3D games have had some... "different" results when it came to models. There have been some nice looking ones, like Colors and Unleashed.

Then there's the lifeless sports mascot from Sonic 06.

ugh2.png

..which randomly got better at the end...

ugh3.png

But my LEAST favorite, the ugliest I've ever seen, has to be the models in Sonic Riders 2.

Look at what they did to this child.

ughh.png

Well, that's mine. What are yours?

Or you can discuss mine. Or other models. Whichever.

Edited by A Match in Oil Ocean Zone
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like all of them to the most part, but the one used in Sonic heroes kind of bothers me for some reason... I think its because they re-used it in shadow the hedgehog and it started to feel "worn out" to me.

Im not a fan of the way sonics mouth looks in next gen.

And gosh, your right...tails looks ugly in that picture above.

I liked his model the best in SA.

But my LEAST favorite, the ugliest I've ever seen, has to be the models in Sonic Riders 2.

Look at what they did to this child.

ughh.png

Edited by Sega DogTagz

As DogTagz said, not only is that from a CGI cutscene and therefore not a 'character model' in the sense you're discussing, but yeah, it's from the opening cutscene of the original Riders.

I'd say the 06 model too, myself. Just too lanky and bleh. Absolutely love the Unleashed/ Generations one, though.

I will say that I'm not too fond of the ones used in Heroes and Shadow, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

The ones from Heroes and Shadow. Too small, too shiny, too bright, the colors are all weird. Never liked it..

The ones from Heroes and Shadow. Too small, too shiny, too bright, the colors are all weird. Never liked it..

I think my favorite (modern) one would have to be the SA2 one.

Out of the old sonic looks, I like his Sonic 3 look the best.

I guess Sonic Heroes. I can't quite put my finger on it but somethings off about it. Sonic Adventure would have been perfect but they felt the need to add a weird Shine to everyone, and then there was the odd way his mouth moved...

How can a character model be overused? Mocking consistency would be like looking in the mirror in the morning and being disgusted that you look the same as you did yesterday.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sonic DX Model: It's inconsistent with the rest of the game,look like plastic,and blank.Plus the shitty mouth animation and movements.

Sonic 06 Model:Overly lanky,moving like a puppet,floding his arms like a plane when he runs...etc.

Honorable Mention:

SA2 Model;fuck SOAP shoes nuff said'.

Also I don't why people hate the Heroes so much. It's still in his classic proportions,just lower polygon. Amd the shiny-ness is a throwback to the older games...it looks hideous Shadow tough.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can understand the hate for the Riders' model but I didn't mind since they were a spin-off. It's like how Paper Mario has a different style, I liked the wacky proportions in those games.

For my actual least favourite, it would be Heroes/ShTH and Sonic 2006 probably (but he looked nice in the FMVs of the latter).

Oh, I'm biased just coz SA2 was my first 3D Sonic, but I thought the SOAP shoes were an actual redesign and were really cool. 8C Would have been wicked if Sonic wore them for City Escape in Generations.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

None of the other Sonic games have used the same model more than once (Apart from ShTH).

Its been used in three games now. It's time for a change, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic X-Treme takes the medal for worst Sonic model in a Sonic game. I mean, look at this horrible travesty of modelling. This was in one of the beta's;

sonic3dmodel.jpg

In comparison, Sonic Jam's Sonic model was low poly but it was still pretty well done as well as quite adorable.

'06 is a close second. Soulless eyes with the weird white shine that often consumes much of the iris and pupil, overly long spines and the whole model has an unappealing gangly lankyness. Heroes comes to close with that plasticky shiny fur texture, front-mouth and eyes that look bad but as to the reason why they look bad is something I can't quite put my finger on.

I thought that the Riders models were bad but it's the arms that stick out. I mean, Sonic looks like frikkin' Popeye the Sailor Man!

popeyesonic.png

It's like Sonic and Tails are looking at the arm and Sonic is thinking "Why the hell is my forearm swollen?" and Tails thinking "Did you break it?"...

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 7

Sonic 06. He looks like a lifeless puppet that may give me nightmares.

Three? Unleashed, Generations, and...? Colours wasn't exactly the same model, due to the Wii being less powerful.

And besides, if it's not broken, why fix it? But then it's always puzzled me that they make new character models from scratch for most games, especially when half the time the new ones look worse than older ones. I mean, I can understand making ones for a new console generation/ format, or for the sake of improving on older ones, but sometimes it just feels like they make new models for the sake of it. That goes for a lot of games, not just Sonic.

I mean, personally I don't see why, as things are now, they don't just have a stock model for say, Sonic and Mario per console and stick with it. Although if Generations is anything to go by, it looks like that'll (hopefully) be the case.

Unleashed, Generations, S4 and Colours. Colours does use the same model as Unleashed, it's just slightly less detailed (it's between the Unleashed Wii and Unleashed HD models in levels of detail). IIRC, Free Riders uses the same model once more, though obviously updated with different shoes, gloves and a pair of glasses. It's also worth nothing that SatSR, SatBK, Rush, Rush Adventure and Brawl all the same model (of varying detail of course). The other thing is there are only two differences between the Heroes/Shadow model and the current Unleashed model. The Heroes model is obviously lower poly and his torso is smaller. They're the ONLY differences.

You seem to completely miss the point of models, Stack Up. When a model is made for a design there's absolutely no reason to change it unless to add more details. Sonic has had a consistant design since Unleashed, so apart from making new animations and adding details it doesn't need to change. To do so would be a waste of time and effort.

And anyway, my favourite model is the beta Unleashed one. I much prefer his eyes in this one compared to what they look like now. The smile, while obviously a placeholder, also looked better.

• Thumbs Up 1

205353-SonicFilm-Header.jpg

*cough*

But in terms of the games, the Riders models win hands-down. The exaggerated proportions are very strange.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Bad Quality Post 1

205353-SonicFilm-Header.jpg

*cough*

But in terms of the games, the Riders models win hands-down. The exaggerated proportions are very strange.

What game is that from????

It actually looks really cool

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

What game is that from????

It actually looks really cool

It's from the Sonic Fan Film. No, not the lame SatAM one that got canned, the one by Eddie Lebron

Sonic 06 and the first two Riders games. I can't believe I use to like those models and thought they looked cool. Looking at them now, Sonic just looks ugly and really ridiculous.

My favorite model is the one that they're using now and probably will be sticking with in Unleashed/Colors/Generations.

None of the other Sonic games have used the same model more than once (Apart from ShTH).

Its been used in three games now. It's time for a change, in my opinion.

I don't understand why you want them to change it. Sonic Team finally stucked with a model that looks good. I'm happy that they're keeping a consistent model in the games now. All his other models looks either too lanky, too skinny, shiny, etc. Also, a change would be a bad idea right now cause it's going to irk a lot of people. It's bad enough that there's people who is already so anal about Sonic's current design being used and thinks it should be replaced.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2