Awoo.

Your (least) favorite Sonic model?

Match

Basically you want the classic model.

I feel bad having to waste space to ^. I clearly stated sonic adventure 2's and sonic advances models as modern examples so I don't really get how you missed that.

Edit

sonic.png

Without the soap shoes however. I would like to see them recreate this in HD with better animations rather than the unleashed model we got today. Just my opinion

Edited by Jaouad

I feel bad having to waste space to ^. I clearly stated sonic adventure 2's and sonic advances models as modern examples so I don't really get how you missed that.

Edit

sonic.png

Without the soap shoes however. I would like to see them recreate this in HD with better animations rather than the unleashed model we got today. Just my opinion

To be honest i wouldn't mind that....just with the shoes tongue.gif

I have to say the heroes one, I still find really awkward how could they do a model like that after the one in adventure 2.

About the 06 model I have to say that it is a weird model and the only thing that I like about it is the shoes(from the cgi artwork).

I think that the current model is fine and I wouldn't mind if they use it for a couple of more games.

Edited by redhellc

Edit

sonic.png

What,isn't the SA2 Model with longer legs than the current Model? And the quills are pretty much the same, other than being more pointy...

That Sonic 3D model is scary beyond all reason. Though I got this nagging feeling in the back of my brain that I've seen worse somewhere...

The classic model. It looked ugly in the original and in Generations.

Edited by thedarkknight

^ I loled

What,isn't the SA2 Model with longer legs than the current Model? And the quills are pretty much the same, other than being more pointy...

There are slight differences I think and to be honest this whole thread would have to be redundant if they didn't count.

Edited by Jaouad

I would have to say, my least favourite models were the ones used from Sonic & the Secret Rings onwards. That includes Unleashed, Black Night, Colours, All Stars Racing, Sonic & Mario, Sonic 4, etc. There's just something about Sonic's current design I absolutely hate, he just looks so I dunno.. cheesy in a way, to the point where I choose to play as an optional character if possible, because I can't bare looking at Sonic's current design. I never used to mind his other 3D models such as those found in SA1 & 2, Sonic Riders and even SONIC '06! but something changed about his design for the worst, and I still can't quite put my finger on what.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sonic 06. He looks like a lifeless puppet that may give me nightmares.

Edited by Abominal Taz

Sonic 2006.

Obviously. Not enough soul.

And Riders.

Obviously. Not enough cardio work.

And Heroes/ShtH.

Obviously. Not enough cutting back on the polishing.

Perhaps less obviously, SA2. Because those pesky Soap Shoes get too much credit.

I don't count SA1 and SADX Sonic, because him and his logic body-slamming lip synching ways amuse me so. Then again, it's hardly surprising coming from the same game that gave us Chaos-defying moonwalking police officers.

"...And his anger just won't vanish!"

"He'll just be trapped-"

*extreme closeup*

"-FOREVER."

*mouth moves*

Going back to the Heroes models, those "side smiles" that all the characters have only tend to look good when in 2D or the usual art style they show up in. Less so in 3D/model artwork, in which Sonic and Knuckles' mouths look as if they're promoting Nike.

The classic model. It looked ugly in the original and in Generations.

Models =/= sprites.

Sonic3DBox.png

I guess even in the old days, Mephiles had a crap design.

205353-SonicFilm-Header.jpg

That almost gave me a fucking heart attack.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

The 06 models. They just look like one of those stretchy toys you see at the store.

I'm not a fan of the post-Sonic 06 "lanky Sonic" look as a whole, but its definitely at its worst in Sonic 06 itself, just as others have said. The vaguely-human proportions add to the Uncanny Valley quality of the game's graphics and the clunky animations just make it look... off, somehow. It's hard to put into words, but something about the character model just don't feel right, when compared to the Sonic models from the Adventure titles, for instance.

I get what some people are saying about the Adventure Sonics having a different "look" to the modern Sonic that we have now - I think part of it is the proportions but mostly it's how he's portrayed in artwork and renders... Sonic around the time of the Adventure titles still had the whole "radical" 90s thing going on, just look at the old Adventure artwork where even Eggman and Gamma were pulling off funky poses. Nowadays Sonic's usually depicted standing around and looking a lot less... "stretchy", and exaggerated in general, especially since these days they tend to use renders rather than Uekawa artwork. I'd like to see the Uekawa style make a return personally because I find it quite unique and nostalgic in its own way, but as far as the in-game models go, I don't think there's a great deal of difference.

oh, another one: the uh...

lets see...

hm...

the sonic 1 models. they got better in 3 though.

i never understood how his stomach could ACTUALLY be that round. the skinny model looks better. but the sa2 one made more sense.

oh, another one: the uh...

lets see...

hm...

the sonic 1 models. they got better in 3 though.

i never understood how his stomach could ACTUALLY be that round. the skinny model looks better. but the sa2 one made more sense.

Wow. I've always thought the first one was the best....

Wow its been a while since I've seen the SA2 model. Doesn't look too bad, but I still think the Soaps are too big. Other than that, I'd probably call it one of the better ones if it was re-newed a little.

Its all the same, a MODEL of Sonic. didnt like it, who can blame me.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

You're confusing the words "model" and "design", deary. This topic is about 3D models.

Ohh, hee hee.

Sorry for the mistake, deary.

thanks for clearing that up, deary.

I'll be sure to double check, deary dear.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

Props have got to go to the C.Sonic model in Generations. It's very difficult to get him looking decent in 3D, but they've done a very nice job with his lively animations and a change to the wheel-o-feet to make it look less awkward. A perfect circle is fine for sprites but on a model it looks quite forced, so they went for more of an oval shape instead, like in S4.

The Classic model surprised me as well, because the body didn't look too chubby nor skinny, and it fit with the head pretty nicely. It worked out well.

I think the only thing that bothers me about him is that he still has the wheel in the air after a leap, which is kind of weird, but wasn't it that way in the classics?

The Classic model surprised me as well, because the body didn't look too chubby nor skinny, and it fit with the head pretty nicely. It worked out well.

I think the only thing that bothers me about him is that he still has the wheel in the air after a leap, which is kind of weird, but wasn't it that way in the classics?

Yeah. Nice touch on their part.

My least favorite model would probably be a tie between 06 and Riders. They're both fucking awful. Not to mention 06's cutscenes look exactly like the ones in SA2, unnatural, awkward movements and all.

Yup, it was exactly that way in the classics. It would make more sense for him to enter a falling animation if he's not curled up, but keeping his running animation is a cute charm.

Though I'm rather not fond of Sonic's lanky model in Sonic '06, I hate the Heroes model because it gave us this render.

2596792905_a0ec142554.jpg

I REALLY hate that constipated pose and awkward smile.

Edited by Johnny
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ugh. Those mouths in the official Heroes renders (and elsewhere, but I remember them most from Heroes) are really awful. Never mind that they look completely pasted-on; whose idea was it to have them curl up so unnaturally at the sides? Sonic there looks like the Joker.

Also, count me in as another big fan of Classic Sonic's model from Generations and all of its assorted animations. I adore the way the wheel-o-feet animation looks, and this is coming from someone who thought Sonic 4's was pretty iffy. There's something about it that just works... I might even go so far as to say that I prefer it to the classic wheel-o-feet, although I'd need to see them side by side to be certain.

• Thumbs Up 1