Awoo.

Your (least) favorite Sonic model?

Match

I was going to say the Sonic R models, but after looking at the Sonic Heroes models I realise that the Sonic R models don't look so bad.

580SegaSaturn_SonicR_copy.jpg

The Shadow the Hedgehog models are probably the best.

Sonic R / S3D Saturn Special Stage / Sonic Jam's models are amazing. They just look and feel correct.

The worst model to me is easily the Riders models. Everyone is so gangly is disgusting to look at, especially with their tumor-like widenings at the end of all their limbs. The shininess and the dreadfully long hair/spines doesn't make it any better either. Otherwise? Either SADX's models, or the Heroes models; for both their CGI counterparts AND their ingame models. Nextgen wasn't as bad as everyone says... except for the realtime cutscenes, which feature expressionless faces, ragdoll / mocap body movements, and puppet like flaps for eyelids and mouths. In-game Nextgen models really aren't that bad and I happened to like their lively, bouncy movements.

• Thumbs Up 2

From what I've seen, the models from the DS sonic games is laughable imo. They are that bad and I don't care about hardware limitations. They are just bad.

Console wise, I'd say...Sonic 2006 due to the lack of emotion they show and Sonic Riders due to the awkward animations.

No one has said Sonic Rivals? >_> I guess they were basically the heroes ones though... The Heroes/Shadow ones really bugged me a ton. for all the reasons everyone mentioned above. Also someone mentioned earlier that Sonic 4 used the Unleashed Sonic model...but all I can see is Heroes when I look at it. o_O

As for favorites, Probably the current one, Sa2, and Sonic Adventure (DX). Also, I liked the Riders ones a bit since they reminded me of one of my friends' art style, and the eyes seriously screamed Sa2 to me, for some reason. ALSO is it just me, or has Shadow's spikes been weird and different ever since Sa2? Same with Knuckles' eyes, they seem so stretchy and weird ever since Sa2. D:

(Though I will agree with the person whom said that Rouge's best model ever was in Sonic 06. Not so sure about Amy though; I think I liked her best in Sa1.)

EDIT: Kinda surprised no one has said the Smash Bros Brawl Sonic model yet either. o: Didn't everyone love that one? (The colouring bugged me a bit...)

Edited by Aptiva

No one has said Sonic Rivals? >_> I guess they were basically the heroes ones though... The Heroes/Shadow ones really bugged me a ton. for all the reasons everyone mentioned above. Also someone mentioned earlier that Sonic 4 used the Unleashed Sonic model...but all I can see is Heroes when I look at it. o_O

Edited by Blue Blood

Probably Riders. The bodies were stretched out and ultra lanky, the limbs were weird and over-sized, etc.

I'm gonna abuse ths topic for my complaint on Tails design in the past 7 years..

Just what have they done with those parts coming out of the side of his muzzle?!

466px-Tails-Generations-Artwork-2-High-Quality.jpg

They're so elongated and thin that they look crappy.

Compared to SA(DX)-SH and Rush:

328px-Hugetails.jpgTails_54.pngTails_17.pngTailskit5.png

Yeah, I know people will say my complaint is stupid, but that really bothers me. And the way his face has looked in-game since Unleashed looks weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was going to say the Sonic R models, but after looking at the Sonic Heroes models I realise that the Sonic R models don't look so bad.

580SegaSaturn_SonicR_copy.jpg

The Shadow the Hedgehog models are probably the best.

Now those are hentai quills if I ever saw them. Least favorite model by far. :P

Anyway, my favorite model is the Unleashed style. Everything is in perfect proportions pretty much.

Yeah, I know people will say my complaint is stupid, but that really bothers me. And the way his face has looked in-game since Unleashed looks weird.

I don't know about my least favorite Sonic Model, but Knuckles...

knuckles.jpg

Ugh, the one on the left. That smile(?) on his face looks like he just ate a fresh pile of dirt. Not to mention his shoes look so...strange...

At least it couldn't get any worse then-

normal_KnucklesSegaXS.png

OH DEAR GOD GET IT AWAY.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know about my least favorite Sonic Model, but Knuckles...

knuckles.jpg

Ugh, the one on the left. That smile(?) on his face looks like he just ate a fresh pile of dirt. Not to mention his shoes look so...strange...

At least it couldn't get any worse then-

normal_KnucklesSegaXS.png

OH DEAR GOD GET IT AWAY.

That last one CAN'T be official artwork....... it HAS to be fanmade..... :blink:

Edited by Ananze

Official enough to be from a magazine article about S3 back before it was released. It could have been drawn up by the magazine's illustrators or whatever, but we can't say for sure. It looks like someone drew that after receiving a very brief description of Knuckles, or seeing a glimpse of his sprite and then suffering baseball bat to the head.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

My personal least favorite models would have to have been from Shadow the Hedgehog, they weren't particularly bad or anything, but man, it's like they were always shining and glowing no matter where they went or what they were doing, it just looked really odd and noticeable to me.

• 2 months later...

Official enough to be from a magazine article about S3 back before it was released. It could have been drawn up by the magazine's illustrators or whatever, but we can't say for sure. It looks like someone drew that after receiving a very brief description of Knuckles, or seeing a glimpse of his sprite and then suffering baseball bat to the head.

Edited by Ananze

06's model is perhaps the worst. It's not that I'm like "oh everything about it is horrible" it's just it looks so DAMN WEIRD. The ridiculously long and floppy spines, the gigantic shoes, gigantic hands, noodle arms, flailing, constantly pissed off eyes. It's just... so odd. It was completely fine in the CG cutscenes though, aside from the long legs, which makes it even more jarring.

Heroes and Shadow were pretty bad too, mostly because of the insane shine.

I like the current modern model. Classic is also pretty cute, I think they've finally nailed making decent character models.

06's model is perhaps the worst. It's not that I'm like "oh everything about it is horrible" it's just it looks so DAMN WEIRD. The ridiculously long and floppy spines, the gigantic shoes, gigantic hands, noodle arms, flailing, constantly pissed off eyes. It's just... so odd. It was completely fine in the CG cutscenes though, aside from the long legs, which makes it even more jarring.

Heroes and Shadow were pretty bad too, mostly because of the insane shine.

I like the current modern model. Classic is also pretty cute, I think they've finally nailed making decent character models.

Again with the 06 one, it's probably because they tried to make it TOO realistic.

SA2 Sonic is my favourite! laugh.png

notwork.jpg

He looks so cool. The only thing I could complain about is his mouth when he's speaking (kinda stiff). Otherwise the model is just perfect.

I'd have to say I didn't like Espio's model in Sonic the Fighters, it just looked weird and creeped me out.

111px-Sonic_the_fighters.jpgtumblr_lnxhg2g6gf1qmukyjo1_500.png

301k70m.jpg

And don't forget the part about him staring you down when standing still, I don't know if that was to make him more like a chameleon but it looks really weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

That CG image happens to hail from the Original Riders, not the sequel.

I am also very fond of 06's Character models.

I too am very fond of the 06 character models. The Unleashed/Generations ones are obviously the best though. I actually didn't mind the Zero Gravity ones (particularly those used in the actual game, not the cutscenes.) Oh, and the reason his forearm is so swollen is that the ark of the cosmos is squishing his arm (and cutting off his circulation as well.)

Least favorite:

tumblr_lngl9bhBdI1qdtw9eo1_500.jpg

Favorites:

sonic_gc14_640w.jpgSonic_Unleashed_Review.jpg

Edited by thebluehedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's not really the design per-se, but I can't stand Amy's facial expression in her SASASR artwork. It looks like she's waaaaaaay too excited for something....

My least fav is easily Riders series models - looks like someone took a crap on them and randomly accentuated certain details

2nd least is the in-game Heroes / Shadow models - looked like plastic dolls with awkward parts, and Shadow's were even just the Heroes models being lazily reused with some extra textures on the feet (to make them look dirty... ooooh)

3rd least is Sonic06 models - terrible redesigns that don't fit the characters

TBH, the Heroes models are my personal favorites, though they'd be better if they had actual HAIR. Then again, that might just be the technical limitations of the Xbox/Gamecube/PS2.

My least favorite?

http://images.wikia.com/sonic/images/0/06/Next_sonic_00.png

I HATE HIS STUPID FACE, AND I HATE HIS STUPID HAIR! No to mention it reminds me of every recolor fancharacter I've ever seen. Not to say that that was the ONLY model in the game that sucked dick...

• 9 months later...

Least Favorite:

Heroes. The model look too shiny, and it just looks... bleh IMO.

Edited by Felix