Awoo.

Your (least) favorite Sonic model?

Match

Long Sonic (06 Sonic) or Big Head Sonic (Heroes and Shadow).

06 Sonic is too tall, looks pissed off the whole game (don't blame him), and animates stiffly.

BH Sonic looks awkward, and to me, looks like if you crossed Classic and Modern Sonic. His arms looked like sticks, and again, animated stiffly. XP

The Riders models really urk me. The main thing is how their shoulders are so tiny yet they're wrists are so grotesquely huge. Same applies to the upper legs and ankles. Although one thing that I did kinda like about them was how comically expressive they were. The expressions they had during the ingame cutscenes were wonderfully over the top.

Least Favorite:

Heroes. The model look too shiny, and it just looks... bleh IMO.

Least Favorite:

Heroes. The model look too shiny, and it just looks... bleh IMO.

I thought the model use in Shadow was worse, due to it's extra shininess.

Thoughts on this, anyone?

Am I the only one who think that Sonic's model during 1996/1997 looked awfully dorky?

250px-Sonic_blast_boxart.jpgSonic_3D_Blast_%28PC%29.jpg

x_sonknu.gif

Sonic_X-treme_Coverart.png

Eurgh. I know Sonic has wiry limbs but these look less wiry and more like bendy straws. And those eyes are so devoid of expression. The smile also looks forced and the spines look very...off.

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who think that Sonic's model during 1996/1997 looked awfully dorky?

x_sonknu.gif

Eurgh. I know Sonic has wiry limbs but these look less wiry and more like bendy straws. And those eyes are so devoid of expression. The smile also looks forced and the spines look very...off.

x_sonknu.gif

He looks like he's a Hurpie Derp.

DERP! XD

sonic_gc14_640w.jpgSonic_Unleashed_Review.jpg

I've never been into that Unleashed render, dunno if it's the model or shading or just a bad angle, never liked it. Maybe it's the for lack of a better term "squashy eyes. "Limp" eyes?

It's not really the design per-se, but I can't stand Amy's facial expression in her SASASR artwork. It looks like she's waaaaaaay too excited for something....

How shall I put this, preventing engine vibration from reaching the seats isn't a major concern for people making race cars.

• Thumbs Up 1

How shall I put this, preventing engine vibration from reaching the seats isn't a major concern for people making race cars.

+1 Internet

Edited by HyperMetalWario

Hmm... my least favorite models... First off, I'll say the "Jaell white Sonic" where sonic was a that was used for the Dic TV series. I mean, his spikes were just stuck on his head like some kind of paper mohawkian! I dislike that design.

Next up is Eddie Lebron Sonic, who looks like he's related to some kind of sewer rat. That is not how you do fur on Sonic.

This is how you do fur on Sonic:

583px-Ozkurt_Sonic.jpg

Next up is tail's CG animation model for the first two riders - the muzzle's too big, the mouth's too high up. I have no problem with any of the other models, except for Storm and Wave's GC animation ones at the end of the first Riders. They looked dead and lifeless, you could tell the animators were having trouble with them.

And, the CG animation model for Classic Sonic in sonic generations - He just looks too angry, too lifeless. Thankfully, his in game model looks better - cute but stubborn, instead of just plain angry.

Phew! Now I've got all those negative views out of the way, time to list my favorites.

It's hard to choose a favorite, because anything related to a blue hedgehog makes me smile... but...

Sonic Unleashed Sonic model: Purely because it's a nice embodiment of modern, without straying too far from classic. Also, it's nice to have a consisent design for once.

Shadow the Hedgehog models Shadow and Rouge: Purely because I love the slight colour changes. Shadow looks awesome in Impossibly dark red, and Rouge looks adorable. Not sexy, just adorable.

And the Sonic adventure 2 models, even if they are dated, they were an vast improvement on the previous adventure models and they did some daring things with textures. Not a big fan of the small mouths big cheeks thing though... Made the hedgehogs look like hamsters...

• Thumbs Up 1

Next up is Eddie Lebron Sonic, who looks like he's related to some kind of sewer rat. That is not how you do fur on Sonic.

This is how you do fur on Sonic:

583px-Ozkurt_Sonic.jpg

You don't do fur on Sonic. apartfromthatflockedjazwaresfigurethatlooksreallynice

He looks weird enough with the fur-like texture they always put on his renders these days. Classic Sonic's renders in Generation just had his blue entirely smooth and he looked so much better for it.

Edited by Blue Blood

He looks weird enough with the fur-like texture they always put on his renders these days.

I always assumed it was grooves to show his spines (the spikes on his head being sevral spines fused together).

You don't do fur on Sonic. apartfromthatflockedjazwaresfigurethatlooksreallynice

True. You don't have fur on Sonic. But if you have to, you don't do it the Lebron did it.

Edited by Zinos

I actually kind of like the fur in that test render.

That fur looks pretty good, growin' out of his quills there...

That's an issue with the werehog as well.

I actually kind of like the fur in that test render.

So do I! Looks like it's following the shape of his body, sort of blending in.

apartfromthatflockedjazwaresfigurethatlooksreallynice

Here's the best image I could find:

CCFuzzyTexture.jpg

Wow. That does look cool. But that kind of "flocked" texture I always assumed with his skintoned areas, rather than the blue ones.

Damn now I want one of those....

On topic:

00d02sds2d31s-e1295570619539.jpg

OH MY GOODNESS... SAVE US FROM THAT MONSTER!!!

Edited by Paradox

I always assumed it was grooves to show his spines (the spikes on his head being sevral spines fused together).

It's fur. Look at his face here:

ps3_sonic_unleashed_63.jpg

Also hedgehogs don't have spikes around their eyes and on their forehead. (I still agree to the spikes on his head being several smaller spikes fused together.)

I think the fur on the werehog looked really cool in the cutscene where he faces Dark Gaia. If you have a TV with HD capabilities you can also see some fur on the normal Sonic model in Unleashed, Colors, Generations and Free Riders, especially in close-ups and cutscenes, but you don't see it most of the time. I find it's actually handled well, as normal Sonic's fur isn't as long and fuzzy as the werehog's. But he has fur, so it should show I think.

My favorite model is the modern one I guess, it handles proposions really well and nothing looks awkward about it to me. I also think they should stick to one model and don't drastically change it between the games, as in the end it's about keeping the characters recognizable and consistent. Anyway, I like how the models changed slowly over time to the current one, to me it seems a little as if Sonic and friends have been growing up. The classic models looked shorter and younger (although they weren't shorter than the moderns until Generations). The SA1 model for Sonic always looked close to the classic style to me, he's rounder and his quills look shorter, and comparing the two adventures' models with the chao's size in the chao gardens, I tend to think the SA2 model is a little taller and leaner.

It's fur. Look at his face here:

ps3_sonic_unleashed_63.jpg

Also hedgehogs don't have spikes around their eyes and on their forehead. (I still agree to the spikes on his head being several smaller spikes fused together.)

So it's fur. Hmm.

My favorite model is the modern one I guess, it handles proposions really well and nothing looks awkward about it to me. I also think they should stick to one model and don't drastically change it between the games, as in the end it's about keeping the characters recognizable and consistent.

Ditto.

There's something about modern's eyes that just make him feel so... alive. I don't seem to feel that from any of the previous model except the SA2 ones...

Hmm, well I liked all the Sonic Models, but the only one I didn't like the most of them all was probably Sonic Adventures, I mean I still like it, but it's just that the parts when Sonic is talking his mouth looks huge and it's not on with the word's he's saying. But I still love that game!

Sonic Unleashed's model.

It looks great. No denying that. However it has been used in every single game since 2008 with no changes (Excluding the Black Knight, which is the only one that doesn't). Even Sonic 4 uses it for christs sake... Great model, but reusing it for 4 years running has made me dislike it.

I don't really like any of them other than the Unleashed model and the SA2 model.

But I'm going with the CG models from Riders and Heroes.

God they look so fucking terrible.

Edited by Solkia-kun

sonic.png

This always interested me somewhat, at it's very definitely a different style from most of the images from around that time, this is probably the least noodly image of Sonic, made at a time when his design tended to be the most noodly.

My favourite Sonic model happens to be the Sonic Unleashed cutscene model, it's definitely better than the newer versions, even if the only difference is the textures, they especially put the effort in giving him some bright eyes, they were really well detailed, well coloured, and his irises where iridescent; caught the smallest light sources and slightly picked up on environmental colours.

Edited by Mysterics

Sonic Unleashed's model.

It looks great. No denying that. However it has been used in every single game since 2008 with no changes (Excluding the Black Knight, which is the only one that doesn't). Even Sonic 4 uses it for christs sake... Great model, but reusing it for 4 years running has made me dislike it.

Uh....so are you saying it's bad for Sonic to have a consistent look for a change...?