Awoo.

Your (least) favorite Sonic model?

Match

Uh....so are you saying it's bad for Sonic to have a consistent look for a change...?

I think it's good that they've given Sonic a consistent look, I think it's just what he needed.

Lest favourite model would have to be, uhm, the 06 model for me it's the drastic change from ShTH to 06 that bugs me about it, like the size for instance, everyone looks like they've grown 2 feet taller

The Heroes models- both CG and in-game- don't really look like the Unleashed model to me.

Aside from 06 and strange offshoots like Riders, he's looked the same since Heroes.

Aye. The models are nigh-identical, bar the differences in detail and his torso in Heroes.Shadow being slightly smaller than it is now.

The Heroes models- both CG and in-game- don't really look like the Unleashed model to me.

They are. There's some wireframe comparisons somewhere...

Edited by Blue Blood

I've never been into that Unleashed render, dunno if it's the model or shading or just a bad angle, never liked it. Maybe it's the for lack of a better term "squashy eyes. "Limp" eyes?

I like the model structure, pretty much. The only thing that's off to me on the model is the color. I dunno, I prefer Sonic to be a more darker blue.

I was watching some Sonic Unleashed cut-scenes and I found this; perfect example of iridescent eyes, all the anthro characters had them.

Sonic kindly shaded his left eye so you can see the difference a bit of lighting does.

eyeshine.png

I think that since this is only in Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Unleashed being the only game with the hedgehog engine ( too memory-consuming? Sonic Unleashed did have some pretty bad lag) The lighting used in later Sonic games hasn't been able to replicate this.

Edited by Mysterics

That's CG. In game his eyes are just textures.

I can't vouch for the CG model but the in game model is proportionally almost identical.

I was watching some Sonic Unleashed cut-scenes and I found this; perfect example of iridescent eyes, all the anthro characters had them.

Sonic kindly shaded his left eye so you can see the difference a bit of lighting does.

eyeshine.png

I think that since this is only in Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Unleashed being the only game with the hedgehog engine ( too memory-consuming? Sonic Unleashed did have some pretty bad lag) The lighting used in later Sonic games hasn't been able to replicate this.

The model in Sonic Generations doesn't have this "vibrant green iris" trait.

IMO, I think it looks awesome. It gives you a real sense of Sonic's vibrant energy in a way, like he's full of life. It's also utilised in an almost eerie way in the opening;

6s89sk.png

• Thumbs Up 2

IMO, I think it looks awesome. It gives you a real sense of Sonic's vibrant energy in a way, like he's full of life. It's also utilised in an almost eerie way in the opening;

6s89sk.png

I never noticed that eye when I played the game.

Also my least favorite? Sonic 06's really overly huge proportions and poor movement animations make me giggle. Half of the time when they start moving their eyes or hands around it seems as if they're having trouble with expressing emotions.

That's CG. In game his eyes are just textures.

I'm not finding your point.

I am assuming something I wrote did not apply to both CG and in-game when I insinuated that it did... the hedgehog engine?

Also are they not 'just textures' in the CG? (Well, the irises, the sclera are obviously rendered), or are they actually rendered into the model?

Edited by Mysterics

Aren't both those Unleashed screens CG though? We didn't get any CG for Generations ingame, but I'm pretty sure on the boxart for the HD versions Sonic's eyes have that vibrant green going on..I'm not too sure though.

I'm not finding your point.

I am assuming something I wrote did not apply to both CG and in-game when I insinuated that it did... the hedgehog engine?

Also are they not 'just textures' in the CG? (Well, the irises, the sclera are obviously rendered), or are they actually rendered into the model?

In game the eyes are just pictures mapped onto the surface of his eye. For some reason, they don't even seem to have given them normal maps. In the prerendered stuff, his eyes are made out of several pieces, sort of like this:

Pixareyes-Eye_mesh.gif

The Hedgehog Engine isn't used for prerendered stuff, it isn't made for that.

And Generations did in fact use the Hedgehog Engine, though they seem to have not set it up properly. There doesn't seem to be any specularity in that whole game.

I thought Hedgehog engine was used to light the cut-scenes and in-game, shows what I know.

Pixareyes-Eye_mesh.gif

Pretty cool, that one's almost like the real thing, I had thought in Unleashed CG at least that it looked like the characters had the seperate parts of their eyes like 'the real thing' (lol mono eyes.), though I thought it might be illusionary.

Edited by Mysterics

My least favorite Sonic model was in Sonic Heroes. All the character models looked so stupid. Like they gave the art job to a five-year-old kid with carpal-tunnel syndrome.

Followed closely by any Sonic game on the Sega Saturn and Sonic '06

Edited by UltDevilDoom

Easily a tie between Sonic Herpes and Sonic '06.

Typo definitely intended for Heroes.

Heroes was glossy, had no detail and was stupid low poly.

Sonic '06, on the other hand, had absolutely no capability for facial expression, was too tall, had a squashed face, and a frontmouth.

Edited by Lobotomy

I did not like 06's models. They had that fish mouth on them that looked really awkward when they tried talking. Also their movements when walking looks stiff and chicken-like. It was just a very weird style choice and not my fave.

I also didn't like the CG models of the first Sonic Riders game. While the in game models were very expressive and fluid, the CG ones looked super stiff and robotic in comparison. Just look at any angle around Tails. He looks like so animatronic it's scary, and his eyes are cold and lifeless!

sonicriders2.jpg

Sonic on the other hand looks alright, but something about his model seems off to me.

sonicriders1.jpg

Maybe it's the eyes I think. They're so large in comparison to the whites that it looks like he's constantly bugging out his eyes.

Sonic on the other hand looks alright, but something about his model seems off to me.

sonicriders1.jpg

Maybe it's the eyes I think. They're so large in comparison to the whites that it looks like he's constantly bugging out his eyes.

The head in general just seems too squished. In turn it makes the eyes look too huge and round. The irises are also really beady. To me his skin color is also really pale, same with Sonic '06.

Edited by Shiluku

I did not like 06's models. They had that fish mouth on them that looked really awkward when they tried talking. Also their movements when walking looks stiff and chicken-like. It was just a very weird style choice and not my fave.

I also didn't like the CG models of the first Sonic Riders game. While the in game models were very expressive and fluid, the CG ones looked super stiff and robotic in comparison. Just look at any angle around Tails. He looks like so animatronic it's scary, and his eyes are cold and lifeless!

sonicriders2.jpg

sonicriders1.jpg

What the shit? I don't remember Sonic looking that weird in Riders whoooa.

In game the eyes are just pictures mapped onto the surface of his eye. For some reason, they don't even seem to have given them normal maps. In the prerendered stuff, his eyes are made out of several pieces, sort of like this:

Pixareyes-Eye_mesh.gif

The Hedgehog Engine isn't used for prerendered stuff, it isn't made for that.

And Generations did in fact use the Hedgehog Engine, though they seem to have not set it up properly. There doesn't seem to be any specularity in that whole game.

They probably did that on purpose to have a stable framerate.

Edited by >>X<<

• 9 years later...

Sonic Forces. He looks like a low-budget Classic Sonic, and his quills are WAYYYY too small.

Plus he looks like a fucking vampire, he's too pale.

And lets just ignore the animations.

Stupid ass sonic forces model, he's so fucking ugly jesus christ.png

• 3 weeks later...

The least favorite for me is the Lost World/Forces model as it is just static. The older games like 06 for example had movement when stood still, or even had short voice lines like in Heroes or Shadow.

The Classic from Generations is the one I least like. I don't like how he is too fat, when Sonic was younger his head was at a good size compared to his body, in Generations he's just fat and too cute. I would like more if they chose a design closer to the opening of CD.

My favorite models are the ones from Adventure 2 and the Storybooks series. Right proportions and tone of blue to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shocked not many people have mentioned Sonic's Boom model lol. Definitely not a fan of that one. Way too tall looking and I just don't care for the sports tape on his shoes.

Favorite is probably the SA2 model.

4 hours ago, sassytassie said:

I'm shocked not many people have mentioned Sonic's Boom model lol. 

It's not like people could see into the future... 🤫

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 8:01 PM, Blue Blood said:

It's not like people could see into the future... 🤫

LOL my bad, I had no idea how old this thread was.

• Fist Bump 1

Sonic 2006 and Boom.

Sonic 2006 model looks ugly as hell, the animations, too. I like the model of other characters, though.

Boom: the worst character design in the series. Awful.