Awoo.

How fast does sonic need to run in-game?

Chaos Warp

Honestly I enjoyed the speed in Generations, it wasn't too fast or too slow for me :) Sonic is a game about speed, I do see the points about platformability though but I like to see really fast speed in my Sonic games, it gives me that feeling that he is truly the fastest thing alive as they have been saying for years.

Sonic Generations speed was too fast

The Mega Drive Sonics were too slow

Sonic Rush speed thou, was just right smile.png

Generations was slower than Rush though...

At least it felt slower anyway because you weren't constantly boosting through the entire level.

It's quite obvious, Sonic needs a speed-o-meter on the side of the screen and when he reaches 88 Miles Per Hour...you're gonna see some serious shit.

Edited by Winston
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'd say Unleashed daytime speed. Or maybe something like unleashed daytime speed in 3D sections, rush speed in 2D sections? Dunno.

• 1 year later...

Well, it seemed that this topic got bumped a while back. Seems I had this smart idea a year ago......

Anyway, I think that Sonic's standard running speed should roughly be around SA1 speed, but he should be given the ability to attain dashpanel speeds through the environment, something like a run button and the spindash, and in general obtaining the speed on his own through the environment or some other way and not by a dashpanel. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

There should be no "Run" button in Sonic. That makes no sense in a Sonic game whatsoever. Boost button=sure whatever, but a RUN Button? Sonic ALREADY runs!

There should be no "Run" button in Sonic. That makes no sense in a Sonic game whatsoever. Boost button=sure whatever, but a RUN Button? Sonic ALREADY runs!

Call it a "Run Faster" button if redundancy bothers you more than linguistic clumsiness, but the functionality shouldn't be discounted on that basis alone.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Call it a "Run Faster" button if redundancy bothers you more than linguistic clumsiness, but the functionality shouldn't be discounted on that basis alone.

A button to just run faster doesn't make sense to me in a Sonic game. Something like the Boost or Super Peel-out, OK. But other then that, Sonic should already be able to accelerate to Unleashed/Generations-like speeds or faster just by holding the left analog stick forward. 

A button to just run faster doesn't make sense to me in a Sonic game. Something like the Boost or Super Peel-out, OK.

Dude, the Sonic Boost is basically a "Run Faster" button.

A button to just run faster doesn't make sense to me in a Sonic game. Something like the Boost or Super Peel-out, OK. But other then that, Sonic should already be able to accelerate to Unleashed/Generations-like speeds or faster just by holding the left analog stick forward.

Like Komodin said, the Boost is a kind of Run Faster button. If you have no problem with that you shouldn't have any conceptual problem with a Mario-like run button. And as far as accelerating to Unleashed speeds with just the left stick, if you mean his unassisted jog, then sure. The point of the run button is to surpass that.

A "run/faster button" sounds very, very silly to me. I'd rather double-tap the directional than this, because at least there is some input and effort to that. If you just have an instant maxed-out speed at your hands, what's the point? And the boost is not just a run-faster button. It's also an attack - a reason why I don't like it. And, more than that, a (supposedly) limited thing.

If you want an instant speed command, at least make it not easy to get. It's true the spindash was basically that in Sonic Adventure and, well, it was no good. But demand some input, gosh. A button is just a button.

A "run/faster button" sounds very, very silly to me. I'd rather double-tap the directional than this, because at least there is some input and effort to that. If you just have an instant maxed-out speed at your hands, what's the point? And the boost is not just a run-faster button. It's also an attack - a reason why I don't like it. And, more than that, a (supposedly) limited thing.   If you want an instant speed command, at least make it not easy to get. It's true the spindash was basically that in Sonic Adventure and, well, it was no good. But demand some input, gosh. A button is just a button.
Gradually gaining speed the doesn't sound like a silly idea to me. Plus it's something games don't try to center the game around. It would be far more interesting to use plus wouldn't sacrifice anything like the boost did.
  • Thumbs Up 1

A "run/faster button" sounds very, very silly to me. I'd rather double-tap the directional than this, because at least there is some input and effort to that.

That's not really meaningful effort, it's just clumsy.

If you just have an instant maxed-out speed at your hands,

Not the kind of run button I would propose. My run button would increase his acceleration and top speed past his normal flat-ground hold-forward stats, but you could still go faster by using the rolling physics properly and such.

Sonic's speed in Sonic Adventure is pretty ideal.

Fast enough for Sonic's speedy signature, however at the same time it's slow enough for some good platforming and exploration.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's not really meaningful effort, it's just clumsy.

Not the kind of run button I would propose. My run button would increase his acceleration and top speed past his normal flat-ground hold-forward stats, but you could still go faster by using the rolling physics properly and such.

But it's effort. You have to do *something*.

What do you need the normal flat-ground hold-forward stats for, then?

In any case, what I'd suggest is going the Sonic Advance 2 route. Changing your acceleration or when you reach the top speed according to the number of rings you have. With 100 rings, you'd be quite fast. At losing all rings, not so much.
Edited by Palas

But it's effort. You have to do *something*.

Pressing/holding a button is "something", and it's far less annoying than double tapping.

What do you need the normal flat-ground hold-forward stats for, then?

Situations when you need or want to be more careful. You can keep Sonic at a safe jog if you're being cautious, doing some precise platforming or something, and then kick into gear when you get to a safer, speedier area or if you think you can handle it in the more dangerous area.

Pressing/holding a button is "something", and it's far less annoying than double tapping.

Situations when you need or want to be more careful. You can keep Sonic at a safe jog if you're being cautious, doing some precise platforming or something, and then kick into gear when you get to a safer, speedier area or if you think you can handle it in the more dangerous area.

This is way too awkward. In modern controllers you have the analog stick and buttons. Moving around would be performed with the stick and the button would only work in a straight line? Because otherwise you might as well just call it an infinite NOS, which is silly because, as we all know, all players in a racing game with arcade rules will never stop using the NOS, not even in parts in which they need to do some precise turning. Likewise, I don't see any player stopping to use the additional speed button. What I can see is everyone tapping it lightly, just that, and adapting the playstyle to what's easier. 

Precise platforming depends on you more than on what's there for you. You can do precise platforming anywhere. But how are you telling anyone "hey! Now you should let go of that button!", let alone when the modern paradigm is to basically get rid of anything resembling a balanced and fair life system?

This is way too awkward. In modern controllers you have the analog stick and buttons. Moving around would be performed with the stick and the button would only work in a straight line?

What? It's...a run button. Like Mario. Y'know, hold B, run, fill the P-meter so you can fly? You hold it and you can run faster than when you weren't holding it.

Because otherwise you might as well just call it an infinite NOS, which is silly because, as we all know, all players in a racing game with arcade rules will never stop using the NOS, not even in parts in which they need to do some precise turning. Likewise, I don't see any player stopping to use the additional speed button.

I dunno, same way any Sonic game tells you "this is a part where you should be more careful" and if they die or stumble they should learn for next time?

• Thumbs Up 1

What? It's...a run button. Like Mario. Y'know, hold B, run, fill the P-meter so you can fly? You hold it and you can run faster than when you weren't holding it.

I dunno, same way any Sonic game tells you "this is a part where you should be more careful" and if they die or stumble they should learn for next time?

So. They don't. Do you honestly see people using a less effective action that does the same as "the run button" instead of trying to adapt the situation to the button they have used so far? Like in shooters. No one will use the pistol if they have another gun. No matter the circumstances.

Okay? So some stupid people keep running off cliffs and bumping into things because they can't consider not going top speed all the time.

I'm not even sure what this has to do with a run button, because stupid people will be stupid regardless.

Okay? So some stupid people keep running off cliffs and bumping into things because they can't consider not going top speed all the time.

I'm not even sure what this has to do with a run button, because stupid people will be stupid regardless.

You said yourself it's no top speed button.