Awoo.

Do adults still play Sonic?

thedarkknight

Rephrase the topic to "Do adults still like to have fun?"

I'm going on my 21st birthday, and I still enjoy Sonic. Granted, I'm not the same kind of fan I was as a child, I now look at the series with a more critical and objective viewpoint, but there's always a special nostalgic place in my heart for my favorite childhood hero. :)

Also, the smug little guy got me into liking chili dogs. Pffah.

Edited by Indigo Rush

We went to the mall last month with the intent of me buying some new work shirts. Only thing I ended up buying was a Sonic snuggie from FYE's bargain bin. My fiancee would not speak to me for the next 2 hours.

So being an adult Sonic fan does have its drawbacks. lol

• Thumbs Up 3

Im 23, and i play the old games. The new animeshit's that coming out theese days, no thanks i don't play them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm 21 and I do gotta say that I lost a bit of interess. I mean yeah i'm still a fan but it's not as strong as it used to be as back in the days. Other better games get a lot more attention from me while back around the dreamcast/gamecube era i'd 100% finish any sonic game. Looking back at my save files i don't really know if i'd still do that, especially with sonic adventure 2. Thinking back, that shit required alot of patience, especially the treasure hunting stages. I can't believe I actually A ranked all missions.

Edited by Jaouad

Wasn't there even a mother who was a Sonic fan? I heard it in one of the Status updates here.

Yes, there is. It's this person: http://board.sonicstadium.org/user/410-swift178/ She gave birth to a child sometime last year.

Also, I believe many people here remember NetRaptor (who isn't a member of this board). She has TWO children, and she's going to be thirty in early October.

Speaking of which, most members here are at least eighteen. I turned twenty-four a few months ago, and I openly admit to being a Sonic fan. And I attended the Sonic Colors event at Bryant Park last October. Of those who were there, I'd say about sixty-five to seventy percent were adults.

The majority of people on this website are in college/young adults. So yes. In fact the majority of Sonic's fanbase is actually old school gamers. :lol:

Speaking of which, am I the youngest person up here? I'm 13.

I think I'm one of the few fans who grew up on the Classics and gets huge enjoyment out of both the new and old games. I really love all the games except 06. I still love and play Sonic not only because of nostalgia but just because I really enjoy and have fun playing the games. I absolutely love playing Sonic Colours and Sonic Unleashed and find myself playing them for hours on end as either regular Sonic then go back and doing all the levels as Super Sonic in Colours and playing all the Day Stages even the Night Stages as the Werehog since I actually like the Werehog a lot.

Hell I still watch Sonic X and some of the even older 90's cartoons sometimes and watch the OVA a thousand times per month and still to this day wish it was a series. I love the Riders series and thought it was a hell of a lot of fun to play and still do. Zero Gravity is my absolute favorite, the music, levels are great in those games in my opinion plus I'm a big fan of racing games. I don't know I happen to really love everything and play them all it really has nothing to do with nostalgia but more just the fact I love the blue hog and his games are a lot of fun to play old or new it doesn't matter to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, in America, the government takes away all your Sonic games when you turn 18.

And they turn you into a CoD drone! D:

In all seriousness, I belive the fear of childishness is in itself, childish. Also, that Making fun of one for being into childish things like Sonic or Mario is not only childish, but also a sign that you're insecure in your maturity. I'm 20 years old, still play Sonic, and wear various Gaming shirts. Nobody dares to give me shit about it either.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think a better question to ask would be if Kids still play Sonic.

Sure they do. I've converted my 6 year old first cousin and my 2 year old nephew into Sonic fans. ^__^

Why else would so much of the fanbase be so grumpy and nostalgic about the good old days? Why, in my day we didn't uncurl going off ramps, no sirree! We stayed rolling and we liked it just fine! Didn't have any of your fancy homing attacks or boosting neither!

Now git off my lawn, ya doggone whippersnappers!

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm 18 and I play them so...

Of course where I live everybody think is childish to play them at least when I say to my friends that I like sonic they go all "Sonic is for kids ahahahahahah".So I get the question but as you can see most people here on the forum are over or 18.

But to be true there was a time when I was 15 or 16 that I asked myself if "when I grow up will I still like sonic", of course after some years I can say that yes and I don't think that I will lose interest any time soon.

Edited by redhellc

I think a better question to ask would be if Kids still play Sonic.

Eh. I'm 13 and I've been playing Sonic ever since I was little. First started with Heroes...At school I would never dare speak of a Sonic game though. Not to be a traitor to the franchise but I would never be left alone about it. Being in 8th grade and playing a Sonic game is considered "little kiddish" and "uncool". Instead they all play first person shooters and M rated games. They would think I'm immature if I were to do that. It's really a shame because a lot of them would probably prefer a playthrough on Sonic 3 & Knux over that violent shit (Although alot of them ARE good) that they always talk about and yet know basically nothing about...Oh well.

My little brothers though, who are 9 and 7 like Sonic. So it's nice to see that. Every day they wake me up at 7:00 and say "Hook up the Genesis"... :)

• Thumbs Up 1

No, I was thinking it would be childish to play Sonic as an adult, but I was proven wrong.

The most true sign of maturity is when you realize the idea of something being childish is an idea made by children.

There is nothing childish, really. If you enjoy something, continue to enjoy it, even into adulthood. Doing otherwise is just silly.

• Thumbs Up 6

And they turn you into a CoD drone! D:

In all seriousness, I belive the fear of childishness is in itself, childish. Also, that Making fun of one for being into childish things like Sonic or Mario is not only childish, but also a sign that you're insecure in your maturity. I'm 20 years old, still play Sonic, and wear various Gaming shirts. Nobody dares to give me shit about it either.

I agree with you completely but it still hurts my feelings extremely bad when my older sister and dad rag on me to no end literally making insults directly about me playing Sonic or any video game for that matter. I got teased for playing Sonic, Zelda, anything even remotely geeky. I'm not allowed to be myself in my own house its insufferable. When my sister is around I feel to uncomfortable to play, draw or watch anything Sonic related and I find myself staying up super late at night to draw or do anything Sonic related on the computer.

Sure they do. I've converted my 6 year old first cousin and my 2 year old nephew into Sonic fans. ^__^

I'm actually in the process of making my 6 year old niece a fan she knows who all the characters are and watched Sonic X on TV when they showed a marathon of episodes for Sonic's birthday recently. She also likes to sit next to me and watch me play the Classics like CD and Sonic 3 and even some of the new games and will ask about it. Or if she happens to come in my room and see me playing a Sonic game she'll be like is that Sonic? Where's Knuckles and Tails! Lol its cute, I want her to be a fan, she recently got a DS so I should get her Rush and Rush Adventure.

I also have some Sonic merchandise like T-Shirts, I have a Sonic shirt that is my favorite and I wear it more than anything else in my closet and I still have my old Sonic 2 bank from 1992 and I have my Sonic, Amy and Shadow Plushie's hanging out in my room. The Classic games I play the most lately is Sonic CD, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles. New Generation games I play the most and keep running back to is Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Unleashed and Colours. I can't wait for Generations I'm pre ordering that game and know I will love it to no end. Both styles of Sonic I love and grew up with in 1 game? Count me in! :)

Been playing Sonic games for 20 years. Read the comics. Have my own Sonic webcomic (Sonic Eggs). Work here at Sonic Stadium as well as a few other Sonic related sites and my Sonic fandom doesn't seem to be going away any time soon.

.....and I'm 40. So yeah, there are still some adult Sonic fans out there.

Just about every Sonic fan I know is an adult, so, of course.

Just wanted to say thanks Johnny, your reviews and commentaries(and Sonic Colours of course) helped to get me interested in the Sonic franchise again after 2 1/2 years. :)

Anyway i'm 17 and have been a fan since I was about 3, I can't see me losing interest anytime soon. (I know that contradicts what I just wrote but i'll always love Sonic. :P)

Just wanted to say thanks Johnny, your reviews and commentaries(and Sonic Colours of course) helped to get me interested in the Sonic franchise again after 2 1/2 years. :)

Anyway i'm 17 and have been a fan since I was about 3, I can't see me losing interest anytime soon. (I know that contradicts what I just wrote but i'll always love Sonic. :P)

Every time I've told Johnny I like his reviews he's remained rather silent...:P

Oh well.

I'm 16 and I've only liked Sonic since I was 13 so 3 years for me....

A 16 YEAR OLD GIRL WHO THINKS SONIC IS CUTER THAN <Insert male hearthrob here>?! THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!!

(when I mean cute I mean adorable not as in...I'm not Princess Elise)

I don't think Sonic was created specifically for any age, just to be the hero he is and entertain the masses.

I'm 16 and I've only liked Sonic since I was 13 so 3 years for me....

A 16 YEAR OLD GIRL WHO THINKS SONIC IS CUTER THAN <Insert male hearthrob here>?! THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!!

(when I mean cute I mean adorable not as in...I'm not Princess Elise)

I don't think Sonic was created specifically for any age, just to be the hero he is and entertain the masses.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic was made to be a timeless character aiming for all audiences of all ages. I'm also a girl Sonic fan who thinks Sonic is adorable and also really hot... >.> Lol.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I turn 28 in September. I've been playing sonic since day one. Probably won't ever stop. I think if i was told to be an official adult i'd have to stop playing Sonic games, i'd probably tell them they can have their adulthood.