Awoo.

Do adults still play Sonic?

thedarkknight

"Some people" are daft. There's nothing more childish and immature than puffing one's chest out and parading one's supposed maturity over 'childish' things. Any person who feels the need to moderate what adult people should or shouldn't do for leisure clearly has insecurity issues about their own maturity and has something to prove. Being an adult means breaking free from the childish need for cliquish rules about acceptable behaviour and instead just doing what makes you feel happy (as long as it harms nobody) ♥

I am an adult in some countries!

So yes. :3

???

But Yea I'm 21, gonna be 22.....next year ;P still play Sonic games as well as "attempting" at some art. I've liked Sonic since I was about 7 and still do and will for the longest of times......Horrah!

Man, is this topic tailored to me or what?

Of course adults play Sonic games! I mean, there are people who bug test the games that are of legal age right? Ah, I kid, I kid.

Really though, I may be on the younger side of the oldies here, but I'm very much an adult and love to play the games! Hobbies can come and go, some may stick. In my case, it has stuck pretty dang well! I don't put my love of Sonic on the front lines, but it is always present be it on my mug or murse. Kids get a kick of it too! It helps break the ice haha.

My kids love that I love Sonic too. It's a great rapport builder~ ...until things get off topic.

???

But Yea I'm 21, gonna be 22.....next year ;P still play Sonic games as well as "attempting" at some art. I've liked Sonic since I was about 7 and still do and will for the longest of times......Horrah!

Not all countries consider 18 year olds as adults.

*waves* Turned twenty-four last month. :)

Bigger fan than I've ever been, am more obsessed than at any point in my entire life.

And I've loved Sonic since I was in single figures. ;)

Playing Sonic as an adult is fine. I'm almost 24.

Deep discussions about Sonic and drawing fan art and collectibles... not a conventional adult hobby but nothing to be ashamed of.

Dressing up as them and making fan characters... we're stepping into dangerous territory if you are doing this as an adult.

Dressing up as them and making fan characters... we're stepping into dangerous territory if you are doing this as an adult.

Really? Mind if I ask why?

Not that I've ever cosplayed anything since I was Zorro for Halloween five years ago, but... yeah, how come you draw that distinction?

Just curious, no offence intended!

Been playing Sonic games for 20 years. Read the comics. Have my own Sonic webcomic (Sonic Eggs). Work here at Sonic Stadium as well as a few other Sonic related sites and my Sonic fandom doesn't seem to be going away any time soon.

.....and I'm 40. So yeah, there are still some adult Sonic fans out there.

So you were already an adult by the time the original Sonic game came out? That sorta makes me a little bit jealous of you. I say that because while it was of course also great to experience the Sonic Boom (his peak of popularity) as a child, i often wonder what it would have been like to have been old enough to truly understand how huge it was that Sega's new mascot actually was able to turn the tide of the console wars and make it so that Nintendo were no longer the undisputed king of the whole medium.

While they're not strictly Sonic fans there are fans of his at Sega-16, alot of them in their late 20's and 30's.

Edited by Madhatter

Playing Sonic as an adult is fine. I'm almost 24.

Deep discussions about Sonic and drawing fan art and collectibles... not a conventional adult hobby but nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm also curious as to why this is 'dangerous territory'? My partner and I dressed up as Sonic and Tails for Hallowe'en the year before last and everyone loved us. I can't see how cosplay (or fan characters for that matter) is a 'dangerous' thing for adults to enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm 19 and I'm still a Sonic fan! Started off playing the series when I was quite young through Sonic Jam on the Saturn. Must admit once I got my PSone my interest dwindled but there was always something about Sonic that I was particuarly fond of, so every now and again I'd hook my Saturn up as I'd have an urge to play Sonic again, lol. Though it was only really back in 2005 at the age of 13 I started properly getting into Sonic again and I ended up joining this forum soon after and well, yeah. :)

I think the concept that adulthood ought to eliminate a whole chunk of things from your life that you enjoy because you're now 'too old' is complete bullshit anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

— C.S. Lewis

• Thumbs Up 3

I was going to add the C.S Lewis quote, but you beat me to it. :D

I'll be 40 in October. I'm 20 years older than this blue hedgehog, but it hasn't stopped me from playing any of his games (although not having some of the hardware did, in earlier years). The somewhat embarrassing part is that (yes, at 20) it was SATAM that introduced me to the blue hedgehog. Remembering that I'd seen a video game of the character, I went to Blockbuster and rented a Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog. Took a scant 5 minutes to realize that the two Sonics were different 'people', and that I preferred the game version. Next day I went out and bought my own Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog. Lost track while I was in vet school, but resumed with the Gamecube and haven't missed a game since.

And I do love C.S.Lewis, from Narnia to Perelandra to Screwtape.

Edited by Thrippa
  • Thumbs Up 1

I turned 26 on Monday but I don't like thinking of myself as an adult so I'm not sure if I want to qualify or not!

It's a great time to be an older sonic fan at the moment because not only is Sonic celebrating his 20th year, many of us older fans can celebrate 20 years of playing Sonic games and that's pretty amazing.