Awoo.

The SSMB Banner Thread

Roarey Raccoon

Yay, so glad to hear this will live on.  Motivates me to make another banner sometime (had a great idea for a summer one but alas feels a bit too late to get decent usage now).

Erm Bmn, what about animated banners? Do you allow those? And is there a max file size that the banner can't exceed? etc.

Due to the relatively high resolution of the banner, in general animated GIFs will not be allowed. There may be exceptions in some cases though (very http://board.sonicstadium.org/banners/banner93.png images, for example)

Animations may be used in shorter background images, though, as long as the effect is a subtle one (twinkling sea, moving clouds, etc) and the filesize doesn't skyrocket. Again, admin's discretion - if in doubt, ask.

Filesizes, in general, no limit. If the filesize becomes too high for our liking (undecided yet, but currently thinking if it goes over 100KB), we may attempt to reduce it without hurting the image quality too much, using methods such as losslessly optimising, converting to JPEG or reducing the colour depth.

For example, 210KB:

banner91.png

Using a reduced colour depth, 62KB:

banner91-8.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad to hear this is still going. (In which the topic title should be updated. Preferably "The SSMB Banner Thread - Under New Management!" or something.)

I might have my banner finished later today.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jolly good show. smile.png

Say...I actually have a question I probably should've asked ages ago. I just need to fill in a little back story first.

I've been working on a special SSMB related picture I was thinking would make for a good banner. It's set to feature a large number of SSMB members represented in a type of toon form, in a large group together. It's still incomplete, and I'm aiming to finish it for the 24th of October. SSMB's 13th Birthday.

But will it be eligible, does it fit within the rules?

I have considered having it as a background image, while having Sonic and Knuckles in the foreground. I could also try to customize the group picture in such a way that it could be made as an optional background that other members could use. Just to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about, here is how my picture currently looks.

70ew.jpg

What do ya think?
  • Thumbs Up 1

Say...I actually have a question I probably should've asked ages ago. I just need to fill in a little back story first.

I've been working on a special SSMB related picture I was thinking would make for a good banner. It's set to feature a large number of SSMB members represented in a type of toon form, in a large group together. It's still incomplete, and I'm aiming to finish it for the 24th of October. SSMB's 13th Birthday.

I have considered having it as a background image, while having Sonic and Knuckles in the foreground. I could also try to customize the group picture in such a way that it could be made as an optional background that other members could use. Just to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about, here is how my picture currently looks.

70ew.jpg

What do ya think?

Looks well done. I think you'll have to modify the canvas so that it fits the dimensions of the banner borders though.

The banner is supposed to be centered around a Sonic Team product so on that criteria alone it wouldn't pass the cut. Also there's fan characters in it.

That and, as knit as this community is, it's a bit pandering and patronizing to have our own members standing on the forefront of what is supposed to be a Sonic site. It sends a rather bad message to newcomers and adds onto potential perceived favoritism within the community that the site is only here for certain members.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's pretty stretched/squashed and low quality, if you can fix those things it'd be awesome!

It's pretty stretched/squashed and low quality, if you can fix those things it'd be awesome!

On second thought, the sides seem to detract from the main element and tinypic keeps squashing my images :o

Will try making a revision.

On second thought, the sides seem to detract from the main element and tinypic keeps squashing my images ohmy.png

Will try making a revision.

I suggest using imgur or better yet, Dropbox (as Dropbox don't apply any sort of compression to your images).

Oh, you did use imgur. Well, wherever it got squashed it wasn't imgur (in my experience they've never touched the dimensions of an image)

Edited by Frogging101

Okay, this isn't the final piece (Quite a bit needs work), but would you guys say the colour of the text makes it hard to read?

NaQopQb.png

If so, what would you suggest?

The text? Yes. Although I would say the overly busy background is possibly the actual problem. It's a tad too bright, and detracts from the foreground.

• Thumbs Up 1

think this has a less busy background.

7210sTe.png

But it might still be a little too busy yet... I don't know, I'll see...

• Thumbs Up 4

That's MUCH better.

There are still things that could be done differently, but I'd rather not get seemingly preachy.

...Awful lot of people don't like it when I get preachy.

• Thumbs Up 2

70ew.jpg

What do ya think?

I came up with this because I felt really bad when hearing that Dan's banner couldn't be used, but, here's an idea, what if its only shown in the personal discussion area? If, of course, that's possible.

Edited by The Crash

Oh awesome! I'll be "remastering" my old submitted banner. I look at it more realizing it looks funny when not colored digitally. :P

Edited by AcidGamer

Even though I've already submitted like 2 banners (the last one not being put in the current rotation), I...I'm just not happy with either of them anymore. I mean, I guess the Unleashed one was kinda funny, but I think I'll try something different...

lost world banner, anyone?

519173d0-f07c-4ec1-bf2f-0482bd18ea08_zps
BAM! Finished! This was really fun to make. I made sure to work as hard as I could. I feel like doing this more often. happy.png

• Thumbs Up 1