Awoo.

The SSMB Banner Thread

Roarey Raccoon

I'd recommend saving up for a graphics tablet rather than a printer scanner for this sort of thing. It's a lot easier to use, and it gives you the option of adding special effects and stuff to it without making it look wierd. I'd recommend getting a bamboo tablet.

It's actually really good with what she's had to work with, definitely banner worthy, she doesn't "need" a tablet, I'll have you know I scan all my art work straight into photoshop and SAI to work on, I can't sketch digitally for shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

In all honesty that's good for a first try. I do the same method as Soniko says; draw on paper, scan in, clean up. I can't draw digitally for shit and I'm even worse with a tablet, actually. Takes a lot of time to accustom to.

OK,I got a quick question, are we allowed to use 3D models for the banner?

Looking at the front page I don't see any reason it wouldn't be, provided they were made by you.

While plagiarism is prohibited, it does say that non-original imagery is legal if and only if it's used in a creative way... so I'd presume in that case you'd want to have a staff member vet it before actually submitting it.

...that's odd. I saved it as a PNG. 

Tinypic seems to have this habit of forcing JPG. I'll fix it in a sec-

EDIT:

8oqm.png

Edited by Indigo Rush

And I thought this was an announcement that you were putting up the new banners, When do you reckon you'll do that, anyway?

I made a thing

Nice, i like it. And Not only that, i like your sig cause you say you're a follower of Jesus. happy.png Amen!

Edited by SonicAaliyahFan
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's lovely to see every banner (bar christmas ones naturally) in circulation again.  I assume the way many of them have had matching boarders added (be they plain colour or the occasional fancy one) was fruits of your own labour bmn?  Great job either way.

Yes, the backgrounds are, for the most part, my addition. Everything I've done has just been solid colours or gradients, but its a fair bit of work for some banners and a lot of them just aren't suitable as they are.

Your Sonic/Shahra banner is an exception - it's one of the few where you not only provided a looping background, but also set up your main banner to work well with it. Naturally, it looks better than most.

Yeah I remember at the time Roarey asked for separate backgrounds where possible but the idea sort of fizzled out?  Glad my Amy one turned out to be compatible with just a fill colour on either side lol.

You're helpful Jez tongue.png

Idea really just fizzled out because people forgot it was an option or something. Or were too lazy to make use of it. S'always been there if the creativity was there to make use of it smile.png

You could just have a transparent background, u kno. But I like smile.png

The reason I say that, by the way, is in case new skins ever come about, or there's another redesign, which would potentially mess up a banner recreating the existing background.

Next set of banners will likely go up either first or second week of October. Depends how busy I am prepping for fieldwork the weekend in between.

Yeah that would've made a lot more sense, not sure why I didn't just do that.

Hang tight! I'll replace it with a transparent one in the morning, easy job.

EDIT: Done!

Edited by Gatestormer

Did mine ever get posted as one of the banners? Because I never see it when cycling through. XD should it be done in a different file format or is it in PNG like it's supposed to be? I can't remember what it ended up becoming.

I'm going to start working on something new, as I've learned several new shading tricks, and I need to draw someone apart from Sonic, so I'll be doing a nice Silver one. Also, Gatestormer, you NEED to teach me how to draw Sonic Channel style. You have some amazing skills going on there, and I want to be able to draw like that.