Awoo.

The Ninja Turtles are Back in (Live) Action!

Toby

A new live action film is on the way, slated for 2011!

HOLLYWOOD -- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are making their way back to the bigscreen.

The Mirage Group, which owns the property, is moving forward with a live-action film focusing on the origins of the iconic crime fighters. Project, targeted for release in 2011, would mark the fifth bigscreen outing for the sewer-dwelling heroes Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael as well as their master Splinter.

News coincides with the Turtles' 25th anniversary celebration, which kicks off Thursday in New York as the first "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" film unspools at the Tribeca Film Festival.

Legendary Pictures former chief marketing officer Scott Mednick is producing the new pic alongside Galen Walker, who produced the 2007 computer-animated "TMNT" pic, the most recent installment in the franchise. Peter Laird, Gary Richardson, Frederick Fierst, Eric Crown and Napoleon Smith III are exec producing the film, which is based on the characters created by Laird and Kevin Eastman.

The characters first appeared in a May 1984 comicbook before spawning a lucrative line of toys, cartoons and three films released in the early 1990s. In 2003, the Turtles were reintroduced to a new generation via a TV series, the "TMNT" film and a revamped merchandising program.

The latest project is being financed by Lightbox Prods.

"The original dozen comics created by Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman are some of the best source material one could hope for," said Mednick, whose exec producing credits include the upcoming "Where the Wild Things Are." Laird, who bought out Eastman's share of the property several years ago, said the film will remain true to the spirit of the original comicbooks. He added that the pic may employ face replacement technology, which would allow the turtles to be much more expressive.

Today's 25th anniversary "Shell-ebration" will also include lighting the Empire State Building in "turtle green."

And for those of you still skeptical, Laird himself posted the news on his blog.

This sounds like a reboot for the movie franchise to me, similar to the Batman Begins franchise. If so, I'm hoping that this new movie, and it's possible sequels stick a tiny bit closer to the original comics.

I can live without all the turtles having red bandanas, and I'm not asking for complete doom and gloom everywhere, I just don't want this new series to be... stupid, for lack of better term. XD

Yes.

YES.

YES!

YES!!!

I am so looking forward to this! I hope it's as cheesy as ever.

Edited by Indigo Artemis

This is so bloody awesome! I love the Turtles and a film and an homage to them is always well received in my books. What's great is they are going back to Live Action. I wonder how that will turn out these days what with all the special effects etc.

I thought the recent TMNT was alright, but the main thing it lacked was that pazzas and cheese that the original movies, TV series and comics all had. - so it's good to hear that this apparently plans on bringing that back full force.

Also, it's so refreshing to hear that it's going to be live action too. At its time TMNT had some of the best CG I'd ever seen, but even that just can't compare to what can be done in a live action film. The whole project sounds great and I hope it turns out as good as it sounds.

Wow not a CGI. Heh, no kiddin'! I don't know if I'm gonna watch this movie. I hope the kids like it and all. I was a huge fan of TMNT back when I was a kid. As for those who continue to like TMNT as adults, cool. I guess I outgrew of 'em. I tried getting into the modern TMNT though. Modern TMNT is okay, but nothing to write home about.

Live action movie, eh? And here I thought they were gonna make a sequel to the CG movie. Ah well! Long as we get more Turtle wonderfulness (and if it's good), I'm game!

OH MY GOD!!!

This are some awesome and unexpected news.

As much as I love the mirage comics of TMNT, I would like to see them with diferent colored bandanas. It just feels to me that each colors gives them part of their personalities

Yeah, I'm with you on that one Viku. Plus it's easier to tell them apart instead of them all wearing the same color bandana.

I'm not the biggest TMNT fan (I'm actually not too much of a fan at all), but I did recently watch the last TMNT, and so I think I'll try this one.

I was so much into TMNT when I was kid and I still play that Genesis' TMNT game occasionally. I just don't like the new style of those TMNT cartoons, the older ones were 1000 times better. I also recently watched the three TMNT movies. Remember these?. I didn't even remember those were so bad. :D But when I was kid I thought those movies were super cool. COWABUNGA!

Edited by PeTeRpAn

Heh, I'm exactly the opposite, PeT! I despise the old 80's toon XD

I grew up on the comics.

turtles50.jpg

aw hellz yea

Edited by Toby Barrett

^ I actually had plenty of those comics, mate. :) Yes, I had those before I saw the toons. I think I still have some of those old comics somewhere..but don't really know where exactly. Probably lost forever. :D I loved the comics.

Edited by PeTeRpAn

Heh, I'm exactly the opposite, PeT! I despise the old 80's toon XD

I grew up on the comics.

turtles50.jpg

aw hellz yea

The comics were cool, though since I started with the cartoon (where'd a kid find the original Eastman and Laird comics in the early 90's), I still find them amusing.

Though what's your opinion on the 4Kids series, which was mostly based on the comics? (I believe the first half of the series is, then they later made up new stories)

The 4Kids toon was really hit and miss. There were alot of things that they did right, and several things that they did very very wrong, but in the end, up until Fast Forward, and Back to the Sewers, I thought it was pretty good. Shame it was cancelled, but you can thank Playmates' meddling for that.

Oh fuck yes, another TMNT live action film! The first two films were hilarious (let's just pretend that the third one didn't exist), and I never got a chance to see the CGI one.

This should be interesting. :lol:

We rented the hell out of those old TMNT movies back in the day. The prospect of another one makes me excited, but the chance that by live action they mean "The humans and some of the sets are in the physical realm, but everything and everyone else will be CG lol" makes me wary.

Aww yeah! Live action returns! ~<3 *Raphael fangirl mood kicks in*

I also want this to be as good as the first movie. The second one was alright, the third was abysmal, and the CG movie had some great animation and a kickass battle scene (Raph vs Leo squeee), but the storyline was all over the place and it didn't feature any of the Turtles' villains. D: So yus, I hope we get to see Shredder this time around. Or Krang atleast.

Please no CGI turtles with live action either! I want the costumes~

YESYESYESYESYESY YEEEESSSS! I CAN DO IT! I CAN WIIIN! *flies off*

God, I grew up with the Turtles. I had like every VHS tape, every action figure... never got the comics, but I was never a comic kid. More Turtles the better!

Now, I will say this, I loved the new TMNT series Fox had. Wasn't perfect by any means, but it was one of the best cartoons on any network at the time. And considering it was released at the point I was getting out of cartoons, I think it was quiet an achievement to have me tune in and watch.

This is all well and good but live action... well i hope its better then the last live action movie

tmnt3.jpg

I thought it was a bit crap, the first film was a classic the second one not so but it was still good.

The live action movies were overrated and extremely weird. They were pretty funny, but they were extremely awkward and the costumes look fucking ridiculous in this day and age, CGI TMNT makes much more sense, at least from an aestetic standpoint. CGI TMNT with original TMNT story would be grand though.

Well they might be able to make a CGI and Live action Mix to make it just right.

Edited by Shade737

Aww yeah! Live action returns! ~<3 *Raphael fangirl mood kicks in*

You really have a thing for the moody characters who are/wear red haven't you Gabzie?

I was more a fan for Donatello... he was so smart. =D

You really have a thing for the moody characters who are/wear red haven't you Gabzie?

I was more a fan for Donatello... he was so smart. =D

Another Donatello fan? Alright! =D He's been my favorite ever since I was little.