Awoo.

A pure 3D sonic game for the DS

Segamaster

Hey guys, I was thinking about Sonic Rush Adventure and it hit me, wouldn't it be cool if Sega made a PURE 3D sonic game? That's what i'm waiting for, they still haven't done it for some reason <_< it'd be awesome to think about all the cool ways you could make sonic and the gang navigate through the worlds using the touch screen and such. What do you guy's think? What type of style would you want the game to be? For example, it could be more exploritive or a pure platform based game, me, i would love a platform based game 3rd person ( behind the back) somthing similar to the sonic adventure saga so i can explore around and and add some GOOD rpg elements within the game, lol.

Edited by Segamaster

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperLink

• Segamaster

• Meow

• -Mark-

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I don't know how exactly this would work out in the first place. Anyway, they've been quite successful with the regular Sonic Rush formula.

It would be quite neat if they could actually pull it off though. If they did, lets just hope its all Sonic.... *looks at Werehog*

The best I'd expect them to do would be something on rails. Sonic DS was a 3D Sonic Prototype for the DS which barely got anywhere, turning out to only be present in the Rush games as the Chaos Emerald levels since that was practically how it worked.

I doubt a 3D Sonic game would work well on a DS. The DS only has around about a 128 Meg cartridge, for a pure, big 3D Sonic, game, they'd probably only be able to make 2 levels or something which is as long as necessary, detailed and as fast as necessary.

That is unless they do the Sonic Chronicles like gameplay.

Edited by Carbo

Yeah... I don't think the DS can handle an actual Sonic 3D game. I know a PSP can handle it, but not the DS.

The best I'd expect them to do would be something on rails. Sonic DS was a 3D Sonic Prototype for the DS which barely got anywhere, turning out to only be present in the Rush games as the Chaos Emerald levels since that was practically how it worked.

I doubt a 3D Sonic game would work well on a DS. The DS only has around about a 128 Meg cartridge, for a pure, big 3D Sonic, game, they'd probably only be able to make 2 levels or something which is as long as necessary, detailed and as fast as necessary.

That is unless they do the Sonic Chronicles like gameplay.

Damn...to bad the DS sucks, it would have really been an awesome game :( No offense to DS fans.

Edited by Segamaster

I think the DS could handle it. They'd just have to make the most of the space avaliable to them by having either linear long levels or shorter slower levels (like, Sonic Adventure speed) for multiple routes.

Remember how huge some N64 games are... the DS carts can hold more data than those as far as I'm aware, and with good compression technology you can achieve a lot (I heard Luigi's Mansion for GameCube is around 20mb).

I don't think it's a case of if the DS can handle it, because Chronicles kind of showed it could handle 3D space, but for the pace of a regular Sonic game, the controls just aren't there.

If you don't have an analogue stick in 3D space, things just get weird.

That's good, that gives me hope. I really want to see a pure 3D Sonic game, the Sonic rush games suck ass (well maybe that's a bit harsh, i dug Rush Adventure, but not that much) all you do is RUSH foward, that's not what Sonic's about.

Not really, they didn't play anything alike. The prototype was more like a track-and-field kinda thing. The Rush special stages just used the stylus to control movement direction.

I guess a semi 3D sonic game could work on the DS, i think if it was like the special stages in Sonic Rush it could work but still I think the PSP could do a better job.

People complain enough about the 3D console games, so I dunno if it'd be worth their time trying to make a fully functional 3D game for the DS, to be honest. It probably wouldn't be as good as the console games due to hardware limitations, which get enough stick as it is.

But at any rate, even if they could make a game as polished as the console ones, as other have said, the controls would let it down a fair bit. Now, I'd love to see a portable Sonic Riders, though...

I'd rather see it on PSP also. I prefer 2D backgrounds with 3D character models on the DS.

That's good, that gives me hope. I really want to see a pure 3D Sonic game, the Sonic rush games suck ass (well maybe that's a bit harsh, i dug Rush Adventure, but not that much) all you do is RUSH foward, that's not what Sonic's about.

Huh? I thought Sonic Rush were great games and just what Sonic should be like, you're running fast from one point to another.

Well, back in the day Sonic was more on platforming and speed not one or the other, but yeah it's an okay game. But not so "Oh so fresh" as alot of people put it, but eh that's just my opinion.

I don't see the DS handling the expected speed of a Sonic title without lag problems, unless the backgrounds were bland. Although ST did Phantasy Star Zero, which looks fucking amazing visually, so maybe they could pull it off.

I'd rather have them stick with the Rush design, but I think it'd be neat if they took a design or two from Unleashed and made it to where every so often, you'd be in actual 3D.

I'd rather have one on the PSP kthnx

I'd rather not have another on a Sony System ever again. Sonic Rivals was awful. The DS can pull off 3D quite well, you've just got to be creative about it.

I'd rather not have another on a Sony System ever again. Sonic Rivals was awful. The DS can pull off 3D quite well, you've just got to be creative about it.

If Sega can, I would like to see a pure Sonic game on PSP. Rivals WAS a disappointment, but, I'd love to have a Sonic game on it, even if its a remake of Sonic 06 its better than Nothing at all.

I really like Rivals. I don't like Rivals 2 so much cos the bosses are really boring. But I do think the DS could handle it if you were creative. However, I'd rather they stick with the Rush design (maybe having one or two levels 3D to shake things up?)

Agreed. The only good Sonic game on the PS2 was Mega Collection Plus- and even then, that was just a compilation. The better games have been on Nintendo and Microsoft systems.

Nothing the DS do that the PSP can't do. Of course DS has the awesome touch screen which feels second nature to most DS players now (heck I find myself trying to touch my PSP screen to go through RPG menus), but Sonic Rivals' suckage was down to lazy development, why? Because it was "Here's your Sonic game PSP owners", and nothing more. The PSP's support has never been fantastic, and games like Sonic Rivals show it, it just seemed really thrown together to me. I like it, but it's slow, and dull, and has nearly no sense of physics. :S

I do like the amount of playable characters though. I've been wanting to play as Shadow and Rouge in 2D for the longest time. Shame about the lack of Blaze though; maybe a Sonic Rivals 3 could actually be really good, and have the time a care that the Advance/Rush series had.

So yeah, PSP could do a 3D Sonic, definitely. The question is whether SEGA would risk putting it on there when they could make a pretty good DS effort instead?

I think it'd work fine on the DS. They'd have to downscale some of the graphics, but if Mario 64 can exist on there I'm sure a DS Sonic game would also work. Who knows, they might have to make more platforming in the levels since I doubt the DS would be able to have stages that go for kilometers.

Either way, if they put it on the PSP I wouldn't be too sad about that either. I just got Phantasy Star Portable, and I say - it is an EXCELLENT looking game/port. It also plays nicely too. I've have no fears over quality if it was on the PSP as well.

So I think either system I'd be content with.

Have you seen Phantasy Star Zero? It looks incredible and it's hard to believe it's the little ol' DS doing it too. I think the problem with a full 3D DS title would be speed causing the game to lag. A lot of DS titles that have models also have a lot of sprites so the loading isn't too heavy, so maybe that could also be done.

I still can't believe how great Mario 64 DS looked, especially as one of the first DS titles.

Oh I agree, I love the DS more than my PSP in all honesty, but there is no denying the PSP does have a higher horsepower to pump out better visuals. HOWEVER, that being said - yes, there are amazing looking DS games. I loved what they did for Mario 64 DS, I think it looks tonnes better than the N64 counterpart. Phantasy Star Zero is also on my watch list, and I'll probably pick it up on day one =). I can't get enough Phantasy Star Online-esque action.

As for the speed thing, that is why I think it might force the developers to perhaps make platforming a little more prominent since the levels would not be as long, nor move quite as fast. I'd be quite fine with that =D