Awoo.

About status updates

Sean

I really tried to get into status updates, but I guess it's not for me. And no, I don't do perverted updates.

If someone can tell me why status updates are better than just posting, I would appreciate it, but it sounds like it's more trouble than it is worth.

For one they can be deleted, they're very quick and to the point, and plus it's great for small, random discussion and jokes. I feel like it's more of a public chat than a status area honestly, not that that's bad smile.png .

I really tried to get into status updates, but I guess it's not for me. And no, I don't do perverted updates.

If someone can tell me why status updates are better than just posting, I would appreciate it, but it sounds like it's more trouble than it is worth.

On top of what others have said, they can prevent people starting up simple "single-question" topics that have little discussion value, as they can just ask those questions in an update instead.

On another note, it's nice to know what members are thinking about or want to say on a moment to moment basis that may or may not pertain to any existing forum thread.

• Thumbs Up 2

Status Updates are good if you just wanna make a one off comment that you feel you want to express. It's essentially mini-Facebook.

Its not just pervy updates though, some of the things members say are legitimately creepy and cross the line, kinda weirds me out, and it's really hard to weird me of all people out.

I've only really seen one person make creepy status updates. I'm not going to name them though.

EDIT: the fuck, why is everyone liking this post?

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl
  • Thumbs Up 8

For one they can be deleted, they're very quick and to the point, and plus it's great for small, random discussion and jokes. I feel like it's more of a public chat than a status area honestly, not that that's bad smile.png .

On top of what others have said, they can prevent people starting up simple "single-question" topics that have little discussion value, as they can just ask those questions in an update instead.

On another note, it's nice to know what members are thinking about or want to say on a moment to moment basis that may or may not pertain to any existing forum thread.

When you guys put it that way... At least there's more room to speak about things without feeling so constricted, but it's depressing to know that something can be said in those things that should be "stickied" as in "everyone should read this", and instead, it just gets forgotten and abandoned.

When you guys put it that way... At least there's more room to speak about things without feeling so constricted, but it's depressing to know that something can be said in those things that should be "stickied" as in "everyone should read this", and instead, it just gets forgotten and abandoned.

Not really.  If there's a major announcement that needs to be made, they'd just make an announcement topic.  Doing it via statuses would be a terrible means of communication for the reasons you stated and plus there's a character limit.

• 1 month later...

I really really really hate to say anything that might ruffle some feathers, but I don't think a username change should be a legible excuse to post barely-readable status updates that don't serve much of a purpose other than to spam the status box.

There isn't anything wrong with a little lighthearted fun every once in a while. The Dolan thing didn't cause anyone any harm whatsoever. If you want structure and well thought out arguments one-hundred percent of the time, use the forums.

I do agree that there is a natural limit to how long a particular gag can be pushed before it becomes stale and groan-inducing, but it still isn't harming anyone. The best thing to do if people are getting tired of it is to speak up and say, hey, you know... it was funny.  It isn't funny anymore.  Stahp. The end.

Edited by Cyalume
  • Thumbs Up 9

I guess I'm the only one who still has fun with it still, then?

Oh well.  I can see why it might get annoying after awhile.  Generally, though, I think it's easier to ignore a status than a topic or a post though, so I don't think this needs to become an issue or anything.  That's just me though.

• Thumbs Up 7

I only see statuses as annoying when they go by so fast that they're off the page by the time you click F5, or if there's some drawn out meme going on that a regular status gets ignored.

Oh come on, Dolan is just harmless funalong with Gooby/Bogs/whatever.  Ya'll need mo' lil wayne tho mah niggas ;)

• Thumbs Up 5

..I guess I'm the only one that likes Dolan? o_o

Every meme is annoying, some because they've been done too many times before (Rickroll) and others because they're just stupid (what is this Harlem shake thing?). I suppose the problem is some status updates just drag on with these memes. I'm not sure myself though, since I don't use status updates too much anyway.

But I never ever noticed any pervy ones, that's news to me. XD Guess nobody does 'em anymore since I returned. And by pervy, does this mean NSFW material or just comments like "Man Yuffy is so hot I wanna tap that!"?

Edited by Gabz Girl

• The topic was unpinned