Awoo.

About status updates

Sean

What are status updates for? Speaking your mind? What did WE(not that ONE user) do? We spewed a bunch of dumbass fads.

Seriously, it's kind of pissing me off that some people are being total babies about this situation and acting as if its the end of SSMB because they(or that certain user, according to them) fucked up. Seriously, can't we just move on?

Hell yes, we can. I mean, look, it's over with. The reason I'm taking a leave of absence (still will lurk, mind you.) is because of behaviour like this. The attitude of many a member has devolved into a childlike state. I'd love it if we could all just get along, but NOOOOOOOOO! Everyone's just whining! GET OVER IT.

It's not fair? Life's not fair. Deal with it.

Just try and make it better. You have to make the best of what you've got, right? So, let's work to restore this place to it's former glory.

Edited by Cola

What are status updates for? Speaking your mind? What did WE(not that ONE user) do? We spewed a bunch of dumbass fads.

Seriously, it's kind of pissing me off that some people are being total babies about this situation and acting as if its the end of SSMB because they(or that certain user, according to them) fucked up. Seriously, can't we just move on?

This reminds me of the time when Fluff & Party forum was axed long ago. SSMB was definitely better without it.

Edited by Light

I think you'll find that a sizeable chunk of SSMB's userbase use the Status Updates more than they post - and it's a great deposit for non-topic-worthy thread ideas and questions, too; I distinctly remember a drop in the number of spam topics posted on the forums when the Status Updates were first installed. That, and it made the place more social and friendly than it ever was beforehand - removing it is like saying "hmm, well, my horse costs less to feed now that it's DEAD".

• Thumbs Up 7

I guess I won't be too sad about the status updates being locked for the time being, seeing as I don't post/update often. Normally I go on just to see what's happening on said updates. I haven't really seen anyone harassing others (though I have a good idea who's the victim of it), but I hope the issue will resolve soon. Hey, at least we can still post on the forums and members' profiles ;) (Ah, me and my big mouth. Hope those things don't get disabled now)

I think you'll find that a sizeable chunk of SSMB's userbase use the Status Updates more than they post - and it's a great deposit for non-topic-worthy thread ideas and questions, too; I distinctly remember a drop in the number of spam topics posted on the forums when the Status Updates were first installed. That, and it made the place more social and friendly than it ever was beforehand - removing it is like saying "hmm, well, my horse costs less to feed now that it's DEAD".

Think of it like school, 10 people act like shitheads, and all 20 of them have to eat shit, it's just how it is. As Cola said, it's not fair, but we need to get over it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it was a sensible move by staff. Give them a break! Modding a forum is hard enough. The status updates is a priviledge, and it was abused by certain members so staff had to make a choice. Yeah it's not fair on those who didn't do anything wrong, but what else could they do really? Give it time and it'll get sorted out and maybe the status updates will come back. If not then I think we will live.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think it was a sensible move by staff. Give them a break! Modding a forum is hard enough. The status updates is a priviledge, and it was abused by certain members so staff had to make a choice. Yeah it's not fair on those who didn't do anything wrong, but what else could they do really? Give it time and it'll get sorted out and maybe the status updates will come back. If not then I think we will live.

My thoughts exactly. Everyone needs to grow up. I do, as well. I'm not leaving myself out of this.

SuperClassic's analogy is perfect. This is school. One person screws up, we're all in trouble.

In fact, the new name of this forum should be Sonic's Schoolhouse. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Removing the status updates, even as only a temporary measure, is a very sensible move. The amount of times Pelly, Carbo and Sean have had to post on there lately to essentially say "cut the bullshit" is ridiculous. This was practically a necessary move. But there are other problems that really need to be addressed and so far I've not seen any action being taken. And then when members have mentioned things to mods specifically they've been seemingly brushed aside, seemingly all because rules are being broken. I don't know if anything is being done, or will be done (it's not my place to judge), but you know... a fair few people aren't particularly happy with things.

Edited by Blue Blood

I personally believe that there were far better, far fairer and far less double-standard-infested ways of dealing with the problem than simply removing the feature - in fact, I'd say that it's caused a hell of a lot more drama than it's prevented...

• Thumbs Up 5

Ban those certain members from the status box.

As others are saying though, that isn't the only problem. The entire atmosphere is different. Cola put it best: This isn't the SSMB I joined.

• Thumbs Up 6

*edit from my first post cuz for some reason my phone doesn't realize that I'm tapping the 'edit' button T~T*

As others before me have said, if I can help in any way, I'd be more than willing to. :)

You are right on this. While they could have done other things,like Blue said it felt to the mods the best thing to do. You put it best when you said "privilege". Other forums like Sonic retro don't have it and find it amazing that we do. But people took it for granted misused it and expected nothing would happen.

I reported the member in question, but I never asked for bans or whatever, I was only reporting because that's what we as members are supposed to do am I right? Though I'll admit I did playfully respond to some of the statuses, maybe too playfully, only fanning the flames with more flames, though I never raged at them or whatever. I'm also sorry for once again screwing up and joining in the bunch that handled a situation the wrong way. Also, this may be the most immature thing I could say right now, but I feel like this one person just won their own little battle with the forums. This reminds me of a situation where a kid repeatedly messed with me in school, but only I got in trouble in the end because I retaliated, and the kid that messed with me got sympathy. Call me a child, call me an idiot, but that's just how I see it. They purposely went out of their way for like a day an a half to make people angry, and some of us finally started to retaliate. Not the smartest thing to do, but it's too late now. What happened happened, and we've gotta take our punishment. And as usual I'm in the group that caused this mess. Not saying we're in the right, as both sides were wrong, and we should've just ignored and hoped this all just blew away or whatever and this probably wouldn't have happened.

I may not see this situation the same as most others, but at the end of the day I'm not in charge here, and I've gotta accept the viewpoints of those above me.

So, apologies.

Again.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 7

This current squabble about how drastic this decision was seems to be assuming that the status window was able to be controlled in as efficient a manner as the rest of the forum. It seems like, at the most, mods could only lock specific statuses, hence why other measures weren't enacted beforehand to curtail the negative behavior. Hell, even members couldn't control which statuses they could see as I wanted to be able to ignore some specific members myself and make my status window cleaner. However, I would wager that the feature was completely lacking in mod control, thus here we are.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 2

^ It would have been nice if they disclosed that before outright removing the feature, though; at the moment, it doesn't seem like they've tried all that hard to solve a problem that is ever-worsening even with their band-aid solution applied.

Edited by eXtaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, this is the most sense I've seen here. XD

Like it's been stated before, the status box is still a relatively new feature. Mod support etc. will probably show up soon enough, but for now it might be best to keep things easy for staff.

^ It would have been nice if they disclosed that before outright removing the feature, though; at the moment, it doesn't seem like they've tried all that hard to solve a problem that is ever-worsening even with their band-aid solution applied.

I seem to recall a topic I made recently where the staff laid down some generally unimportant rules on status updates. I may have even suggested disabling them should things get out of hand, but don't quote me on that.

• Thumbs Up 7

Like it's been stated before, the status box is still a relatively new feature. Mod support etc. will probably show up soon enough, but for now it might be best to keep things easy for staff.

IPB 3 (where the feature was first introduced) was released in 2009. Just saying. Invision are more important in making their board software work like Facebook than adding important measures like that.

Oh, I want to make one thing clear:

I have absolutely no ill will towards the mods, and I believe anyone who does is being immature about this. Would I have handled things differently? Yes. But that doesn't mean anyone is in the wrong here.

I hope this massive spike in tension doesn't make things worse for you guys. As disappointed as I am, I still appreciate you guys.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's a shame that things had to end up like this but lately the forms have went bat shit insane. I was bummed out when I realized the status updates were closed but it had to be done. Well I hope things go back to normal around here because it doesn't feel like the same ssmb I joined months ago.

I have a vague memory of it being mentioned somewhere that they couldn't really mod it? I can't remember where or when that was though.

Ya know, even as a member who's been lurking for quite a long time before signing up I still can't see the huge drop in maturity/attitude. Maybe my level of silliness is at the silliness you guys are talking about so I can't see it but whatever.

As for the status updates, it sucks that we all had to bite the bullet for others actions but hey, that's how it is. From what it seems the mods can't do much, and even though I enjoyed that members little spurts of silly (And maybe I was part of the problem), it was getting way out of hand. Not to mention that the mods seem to work hard and if there were another way going about it I'm sure they're decent enough people to not do something drastic when they could have gone about an easier, fairer solution.

I don't know, that's my two cents.

Edited by RedCap-BlueSpikes

While I had a ton of fun in the status box I actually had a bigger blast in the Generations and sonic discussion thread. Probably because We're here to talk about sonic and all but I liked talking with everyone and predicting with friends. I mean as long as I have those threads I know It's not end of the SSMB. I can still talk to you guys their!tongue.gif