Awoo.

About status updates

Sean

I have a vague memory of it being mentioned somewhere that they couldn't really mod it? I can't remember where or when that was though.

We were indeed warned. I too have a faint memory of staff warning us to not drift so far out of bounds in the status updates.

Aw well.

As for the drop in quality around here.... well thats on us. we just gotta pick up the mantle and restore the level of maturity and responsibility that people have come to expect out of the SSMB. We all gotta do out part to keep the forums out of the muck that can drag them down. Cooler heads people. We can do this.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 2

SSMB, I love you. I really do. You're one of the nicest, most respectable places on the internet, and you make me proud to be a Sonic fan.

However, I find myself drifting (mind you, this isn't just because I'm still getting used to the updated board). I think Blue Blood has a point. The tone of this place has changed. We used to be able to responsibly post image-only replies, but now we can't because that's been abused. Most recently, we used to be able to post status updates, but for the time being we can't, because that's been abused. Even worse, if you go to any Sonic-related topic created within the last few months, it's nearly impossible read a debate without finding petty insults thrown around by one or multiple debate participants. We're taking SSMB's easy-going environment for granted, and it's kind of bringing down the place (...place...place...).

Don't get me wrong, I will definitely continue to support SSMB, as it's a forum well worth supporting. I just hope that we can all work together to get SSMB back to the way it used to be or even better. Unfortunately, I can't really give any input on how to do this, other than "think before you post," but I know we'll find a way to improve.

Also, I apologise to the mods for reporting this member's statuses. I didn't do it because I disagreed with the member, I did it because I saw the trouble it stirred due to the quantity of the updates and the seemingly intentional controversial tone. It sort of came off as spamming to cause trouble to me. I'm very sorry! D:

• Thumbs Up 2

^ It would have been nice if they disclosed that before outright removing the feature, though; at the moment, it doesn't seem like they've tried all that hard to solve a problem that is ever-worsening even with their band-aid solution applied.

To be fair (you know I'm a pro-status box guy already so not disagreeing) I can appreciate the situation a little more.

This isn't so much a "band-aid" situation but more a "Oh shit the kitchen is on fire throw some water on it" "I don't know, wouldn't it be better to isolate and work out the points that CAUSED the fire to prevent it happening agai-" "THROW SOME FUCKING WATER ON IT" situation.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it was a sensible move by staff. Give them a break! Modding a forum is hard enough. The status updates is a priviledge, and it was abused by certain members so staff had to make a choice. Yeah it's not fair on those who didn't do anything wrong, but what else could they do really? Give it time and it'll get sorted out and maybe the status updates will come back. If not then I think we will live.

Yeah, the mods shouldn't be used as scapegoats for member's frustrations. I mean, there's oh so many of them, and already work hard enough here. They can't satisfy everyone's *coughdemandscough* suggestions (speaking lightly here), but they do their best and should be appreciated for what they do regarding the forums and updates, not be criticized about their moderating performance.

Edited by Ray du welden älfa
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Flyboy, and to everyone (both agreeing or disagreeing with us) for understanding.

SSMB has gone through countless phases, so just because some members here aren't liking the current atmosphere does not mean it's going to go the way of the dodo. And like Flyboy said, despite the frustration that everyone involved is feeling, we're not out to cause friction between the staff and normal members. None of the staff are giving up on the boards, so hopefully most of you won't be. We may be the ones who uphold the rules and clean the place up, but it's pretty much the members themselves who make a forum strive.

• Thumbs Up 7

I can't give up this place. I've been here so long that I practically watched this place grow up, and I love you all too much to go. Some of you are killing me here, but we're all family, right? I'm willing to stick through thick and thin, but until the tension takes it's tide I will remain a bit in the background.

If anyone needs any help getting this place back into shape and order I'm willing to do whatever I can, big or small.

• Thumbs Up 1

Same Azu. Everybody here is already Nakama to me. Like I'd leave anybody here. :P

But why did people say those things in Carbo's status? :(

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't give up this place. I've been here so long that I practically watched this place grow up, and I love you all too much to go. Some of you are killing me here, but we're all family, right? I'm willing to stick through thick and thin, but until the tension takes it's tide I will remain a bit in the background.

If anyone needs any help getting this place back into shape and order I'm willing to do whatever I can, big or small.

Same here.

Same Azu. Everybody here is already Nakama to me. Like I'd leave anybody here. tongue.gif

But why did people say those things in Carbo's status? sad.gif

They were joking.

I'm new to this forum. I joined because there were lots of discussions. Intelligent discussions. Even though I pretty much failed at every debate, I still had fun.

Then someone came in and acted in a weird way. That pissed people off. As a community, it was natural for most of them to be harsh against the guy. But that went too far. The fact said guy didn't stop acting that way although he probably realized that was making people dislike him doesn't help.

Ah, well. I thought the community would be more civilized, but it's better than nothing.

Also, people are saying that SSMB was better before. That, since recently, the atmosphere changed because of new immature members, people from a particular other forum coming, the fact it's Summer so everyone's a bit excited, etc.

I get the feeling I'm part of the problem. I did post pretty facepalm-worthy stuff. Sorry about that.

But, hey, it'll go better. Drama is temporary, and I hope it lasts really short on such a great forum.

But, come on, guys. Try controlling yourselves next time. You're not wild cavemen, definitely not.

Those were my two cents. I'm a really new member, and I'm far from mature, so you can disregard my opinion on the subject. But I still know SSMB will go back on track, and sonner than you'd expect. The moderators shouldn't do all the work, the community should control itself too.

Edited by Koopalmier
  • Thumbs Up 1

But why did people say those things in Carbo's status? sad.gif

'cause it's hilarious to us

Rest assured we're not going to be abusing statuses just because you guys can't use them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having been a member since 2005, I can say that this place has definately changed. Better in areas, worse in others. I can cite a number of my observances these last few years.

When rep was introduced, a palpable sense of bigotry could be felt, as members were freely admitting that they were using their neg rep on opinions that merely differed from their own instead of on very poorly articulated posts. If there was a particularly looked-down-upon post, the members would pounce on it likes wolves, neg-repping it left, right and center to such a degree that it makes one honestly wonder if there's some kind of hive mind that just loves and revels in ganging-up on particular members via this behaviour of mass neg-repping. Not really an applicable thing nowadays as neg repping has apparently been done away with but it still gave me an impression of a concentrated effort to 'punish' a member to a ludicrous degree.

These past few years, some have been far more sharp and curt in responding to posts in a perceptably unpleasant way that I feel is often uncalled for. It gives off an air of great over-seriousness and unfriendliness.

There's also this thing about the posting of unfunny image macro's and GIF's and the holding-onto of "memes" that are just forced in a misguided way to draw humour.

However, I will say some things that are positive as well.

Such as the genuine sense of kindness, concern and wisdom in the Personal Discussion. I really do smile when I read of posts in PD because they're very often so warm and friendly. There's a real feeling of rapport amongst fellow members. And the moderators are unquestionably competent and wise in their job. Sonic discussion is intelligent the overwhelming majority of the time if not occasionally weird and is very frequently a pleasure to partake in.

This is just my two cents about my perceptions on how SSMB has changed after years of being a member. I will continue to be a member and gladly posting until hell freezes over because this place is just too wonderful and too much a part of my online hang out to forsake just like that. I really have no personal issue over the Status Updates being removed but I still can't help but feel that it was perhaps unfair.

• Thumbs Up 6

'cause it's hilarious to us

When you say us, you're referring to the mods, correct? If so, I was loling too. XD

I uh... Don't know what to say.

We were perfectly fine until the forum problems with the themes and with SEGA Forums back online. Don't know what happened, everything happened so fast.

SSMB has become a miniature train wreck recently and with the Sega forums being down we've had lots of new members and the mods have to work over time to keep it all together.

The status box was obviously abused by some people and if it can't be modded then I see why it was removed, we were warned.

I shall be leaving for as long as it takes for this to clean up but I will check once a week for generations news.

Sayonara SSMB

I leave for a few hours and you guys get the statuses locked off, I'm dissapointed in you all and your spammy ways. I'd even leave this place in anger if I didn't adjust so well to this forum over the past month

I would say the status abuse is giving the mods too much work, so for it to be locked off or better yet withdrawn completely can only be good for the moral of the mods. It shouldn't matter whether there is a status update feature or not. This is a forum to discuss Sonic. It's a message board, posting in specific topics. Not a status board. That's what SSMB's Facebook is for as far as I'm concerned. No status updates on the message board, go to Facebook instead. It's only one extra tab in your browser. Not terribly inconvenient.

I would be glad to see the back of the status updates permanently. Pretty clear what went wrong with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So... forum is in ruin, people have been stripped of their luxuries, and there are angry locals glaring at us?

... ... Later, gotta fly!

• Thumbs Up 1

So... forum is in ruin, people have been stripped of their luxuries, and there are angry locals glaring at us?

... ... Later, gotta fly!

What a good way to dramatize it.

Y'know, I was thinking. Would it be possible put a little button that says "report" on the same line as the lock and delete buttons in the statuses and status comments? That way, if someone's abusing the status box and/or comments, you can just click "report".

And another idea. If someone's caught abusing the status box, how about for first offense, you're suspended from posting a status and commenting on statuses for 1 week. For the second offense, you're permanently banned from posting statuses, commenting on statuses and you receive a strike. Just a thought I had. (It doesn't HAVE to be those exact consequences, but maybe something similar).

I'm also kind sad to see people leaving or taking a hiatus. I seriously don't see how the forum has had this "immature" (fixed) tone to it...? Maybe I just haven't been here long enough to know what everyone's talking about.

Edited by TwoTailedFox
  • Thumbs Up 1

I seriously don't see how the forum has had this "mean" tone to it...? Maybe I just haven't been here long enough to know what everyone's talking about.

I don't think it's a 'mean' tone as such, just that things don't seem as...fun or enlightening as the SSMB always has. I really don't know what it is, but something is definitely 'off' with the forum.

I just want the Melting Pot of Friendship that is the SSMB back to normal. ;_;

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm also kind sad to see people leaving or taking a hiatus. I seriously don't see how the forum has had this "mean" tone to it...? Maybe I just haven't been here long enough to know what everyone's talking about.

I don't think anyone's mentioned a mean tone at all. It's immaturity and lack of intelligence.

I'm going to miss my late night sexy parties where I break up/get together with Nathan five times in rapid succession while having a little fun with Sean on the side and reminding Inferno that he is not sexy.

But!

I'm glad they're gone because I always felt bad for the staff and they totally deserve a break. That said, I fully expect them to come back eventually because they had a perfectly successful run for a long time before things went down the shitter. Once things calm down I'm sure we'll be able to handle them once more.

On the subject of this whole dealio about the atmosphere of the forums being so horrific, I've gotta say I haven't seen much of it really. Ignorance is bliss after all, and I'd rather hang around the Chit-Chat forum than the Sonic ones anyway. I'll throw my two cents in anyway though, and ask: if a flame war be a-brewin', or a member is just so fucking stupid you can't handle it... why not ignore the posts/member? You can ignore it by just skipping over it, you can ignore it by actually using a function in the forum to ignore it for you! Is that difficult?

I'm very sorry to bring up a certain old member who lived under Sonic's dick but he makes a good example. He made some stupid-as-all-hell posts... so why respond? I know in that case we (and mind you I was part of that "we," myself) thought we were having fun but even after the staff cracked down and other less intelligent members reared their ugly heads, it continued.

This isn't like real life where you have some annoying fuck who just won't go away and you can't make them go away. All it takes to avoid problems is to not reply to someone, to ignore them, it's absolutely nothing much to ask for.

• Thumbs Up 6