Awoo.

About status updates

Sean

So out of curiosity and at the risk of maybe making it seem like bringing the status bar back is such a great idea, what exactly has changed to make them easier to control? They still display for only a few minutes at best, and members can still delete comments and statuses entirely. If those were the problems before and they're still here, what's really changed?

When Invision Power designed the version of Board which included the feature, moderation functions were incredibly lacking on the status updates. We could not delete (bar the admin cp) any status, moderate them, or remove access for individuals who cause issues. Now, we can. It will take more attention from the admins than previously thought but I don't mind sorting through it. ;p

Velotix hit the nail on the head and Chris further elaborated. No need for me to explain. =P

Anyhoo, since it seems the floor has opened up somewhat, I've noticed people here have been saying that the forum atmosphere has changed, particularly members taking a leave, but I don't think anyone has gone into any real detail on how it's changed. I think I've been chewed on a bit as a result of these supposed changes, and from that experience I think the problem is simply the undue reinforcements of negative community stereotypes.

Ever since Generations reared its head, a few people have admitted to attacking optimistic viewpoints partly to cull excitement and personal hype, to bring members back "down to earth," and in general have been unnecessarily combative and vitriolic with people who don't agree with them, saying they lack standards. In defense, many people who express issues with the game have been absolutely overwhelmed by the vast majority of more positive forum members. The latter has been more blatant and actually dealt with by staff on a few occasions, but regardless almost everyone who participates in the Sonic forums is responsible for just how cutthroat they've become.

Oh, the Marketplace and Upcoming Games will remain. I simply mean that, having sub forums for each and every game within the Upcoming Games section is a little bit too much ground to cover. That and when a game is finally released you're left with a dead forum to carry around. I know that I've not really bothered to look much beyond the Upcoming Games forum.

That's good to hear. I like the individual sub forums for each new gam, but the general Upcoming Games section itself seems pointless. It's rarely used as anything more than a gateway to the next sub-forum.

And while we're on the subject of carrying around dead forums, you've still got an empty E3 2011 section hanging around. tongue.gif

Edited by Chris
gghdso89gdhs98gdsuigdsbu :(
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ah, excellent news! Hopefully things will start picking up again and the SSMB will be back to it's old self in no time!

One thing though, am I the only one that has the Status Update and Newest Topics' bar positions switched around?

Ah, excellent news! Hopefully things will start picking up again and the SSMB will be back to it's old self in no time!

One thing though, am I the only one that has the Status Update and Newest Topics' bar positions switched around?

You're not the one. I think it's actually a good idea, it brings more attention to the forums themselves/makes the Recent Topics bar more immediately visible and accessible. It's not like it blots out the statuses or anything.

Seeing as how I never really got around to saying anything personally after the little announcement I initially made in the status updates that sparked way too much unnecessary controversy than what a few of us staff members in on the joke were hoping for, all I can really say at this point is that, having only been promoted to this job a month ago and witnessed some of the most drastic fluxes in member behavior, and staff action additionally, I'd really just like to take the time and thank my fellow staff members for sticking through in these slightly turbulent times (guys come back from your summer vacations and help me and Sean out here), and also the members for adding onto the feedback and giving us support to help us make this a better place, especially in the wake of a lot of the drama that's been occurring. It's been an incredibly stressful week and I'm glad we can make amends to this while working and waiting for the upcoming SSMB revamp.

I love you guys kthanksbye.

Also I'm not sorry

• Thumbs Up 7

I can already see you guys are making things better again, which I'm absolutely enthralled to hear. I know I made a bit of an outburst whenever talking of these things, but I only really wanted what's best for this forum, and I know you guys care and are doing a great job so far cleaning things up.

• Thumbs Up 2

awww, can't status my update.

But I digress.

Glad to see you're taking extra moderation for the statuses.

I know this may sound quite "SSMB IS TURRIBLE RETRO RULES", but in regards of forum-mainsite integration I think you guys could ask for some tips over there. And probably suggest them too, since while Retro's integration between the two wikis, one site, and one forum is better than here, it is by no means perfect.

SSMB and Retro are likely both the biggest and the best Sonic communities around. why not help each other in such basic ways as site design?

Edited by The KKM

I know this may sound quite "SSMB IS TURRIBLE RETRO RULES", but in regards of forum-mainsite integration I think you guys could ask for some tips over there. And probably suggest them too, since while Retro's integration between the two wikis, one site, and one forum is better than here, it is by no means perfect.

SSMB and Retro are likely both the biggest and the best Sonic communities around. why not help each other in such basic ways as site design?

Retro uses IpbWiki to bridge their wikis to their board. There's no integration with Wordpress although IPBWI for Wordpress exists, except it costs money. Unless Dreadknux and co would like to have a single sign-on for things, there's really no need for it here in my opinion.

Edited by Spanner

It's also worth mentioning that Retro hasn't got a single sign on for its Wordpress blog either, and we don't have a Wiki.

Can we keep this to things that you'd like to see cleaned up on SSMB please? Telling us to look at other websites isn't giving us a perspective of what YOU want, and talking about the site and other matters is deviating from the point a little bit.

• Thumbs Up 3

Question: If you've lost status updates, does that mean you lose profile comments as well?

Also, if you lost the status updates privellage: Is it temporary or permanant? Or depending on the person?

Question: If you've lost status updates, does that mean you lose profile comments as well?

It doesn't remove the ability to comment on the updates of others, but you can't make your own to be commented on.

Also, if you lost the status updates privellage: Is it temporary or permanant? Or depending on the person?

Permanent as of this post.

It doesn't remove the ability to comment on the updates of others, but you can't make your own to be commented on.

Permanent as of this post.

Well I can't even comment on other people's....Also, what I meant was the comments we leave on each other's profiles...not statuses.

Well, I can make Status Updates through the scroll-down menu on top, but not through the actual front page. Is that for everyone or a select few or just a bug to be ironed out, because I find this method a little bit tedious.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Well, I can make Status Updates through the scroll-down menu on top, but not through the actual front page. Is that for everyone or a select few or just a bug to be ironed out, because I find this method a little bit tedious.

It'S like that for everyone

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually kinda like that. That way, if you're reading a post and you want to make a status update, you don't need to leave the page you're on.

Okay since my question was totally ignored (Not sure if on purpose or not, but okay) can we post comments on the profiles of others. I'm not talking about comments on status updates, I'm talking about user comments. You know, the ones you get a PM about if you get one.

I notice that when you go to the profile now you don't see the status history you made on the side anymore. can that be re-implemented?

You can still see the statuses. The way to do it is go to the profile and click "Profile Feed" located on the left-hand side.

You can still see the statuses. The way to do it is go to the profile and click "Profile Feed" located on the left-hand side.

Nah nah, what i mean is the status history that showed what statuses you replied to along with what statuses you made, it was all kind of mixed in. with this profile feed its just your statuses which is the equivalent of the statuses tab of 3.1.

Okay since my question was totally ignored (Not sure if on purpose or not, but okay) can we post comments on the profiles of others. I'm not talking about comments on status updates, I'm talking about user comments. You know, the ones you get a PM about if you get one.

Not sure, but I think this is what you do:

Go to a profile (other than yours)

Click on "Profile Feed"

There's a little text box that says "leave a message..." Click it, type your message, and hit post.

Not sure, but I think this is what you do:

Go to a profile (other than yours)

Click on "Profile Feed"

There's a little text box that says "leave a message..." Click it, type your message, and hit post.

Thanks Two Tails. ^.^

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

So in other words, use it kind of like a mini-blog where we can post stuff about our life, but in small segments? (minus doing what you said of course, like bitching about people and mentioning banned members.) If that's the case, can I use it to ask questions that will help me make decisions? (like which game I should get, whether or not a product is good, ect.) Sorry, I'm new here and haven't found the rules yet, and the question is relevant.