Awoo.

Did you ever get out of Sonic?

Crystal Kingfisher

I have a question: Did you ever get out of Sonic/lose interest in Sonic at one point?

I did once. When I got an Xbox 360 and Sonic '06, I was so excited to play it. I thought it was going to be the best 3D Sonic game since the Adventure series. When I started playing it, at first I thought, "It's okay..." but then as I played further, I was like, "Okay, this sucks. Waaaaaaaay too glitchy. Also, I HATE that princess so much." Then came a bunch of other crappy games, and then I just lost interest in Sonic. Every now and then, I would still play the old games, and the good recent games (Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Rivals 2, etc.), but I still wasn't as interested in Sonic as I used to be.

But then, when Sonic 4 came out, I played the demo, then I bought the full game, and I found myself starting to get back into the series. Say what you will about Sonic 4, but I kind of enjoyed it. (but keep in mind that I enjoyed Sonic Rivals 2, which is a very hated game, and I hated Sonic and the Black Knight, which is a very loved game) Then I got Sonic Colors for the DS, and it helped me really get back into the series.

Thanks to Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors DS, I have gotten back into the series.

Care to tell us your story?

From about '97-'01 I lost a bit of interest in Sonic. Wasn't interested in the Saturn, never got Jam, didn't even know that X-Treme existed until I got home internet in 2003 and I never got Adventure in 1999. I was a Playstation person during "The Dark Ages". I didn't get a DC until Christmas 2001 and I guess it was Sonic Adventure that really really got me into the series again when I got it for a tenner in HMV January sales. Got SA2 soon after and I knew my love and interest was truly rekindled.

I have lost most of my interest in Sonic. I honestly don't care about the series anymore aside from some of the things I already did like about it. I can't get into the majority of new games or Archie comic issues, and I don't see the point of hoping for a consistently mediocre series to miraculously turn wonderful in my eyes. But moreover, with all of those useless games I picked up during the PS2's lifespan (not including Shadow, thank god), I think I was trying to make myself like the modern games. Unfortunately, the most enjoyment I ever got out of them was Sonic Riders, which I think is still a shitty game but at least I had some fun with it. I've moved on from Sonic, I'm more picky with what I spend my money on these days, and because of that my standards for what I play are incredibly high.

The last (and most worthwhile) Sonic game I bought recently was Sonic Mega Collection for the GameCube. I may pick up Sonic Colors one of these days, which is the only recent Sonic game I've had some interest in. I also enjoyed the Rush games, but I didn't like Colors DS one bit. And that's about all I can really say about the last few years for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic actually used to be my favorite series, but as the newer games came out it slowly fell off of the list due to all of the shit brought into the franchise, now that spot is taken by Kirby :3

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't have a huge amount of interest in most of what happens with the games these days, although Colours did perk me up for a bit. For the most part, my interest in Sonic has less to do with what's happening in the franchise and more to do with the world I've created from various elements of it over the years. I love little bits from all the different media, and my love for the Sonic universe is deep and strong and real - it just doesn't have much to do with new releases. Nevertheless, I do keep my eye on stuff just in case something resonates with me.

Outside of Sonic (which I do consider to be my main fandom, despite my weird way of expressing it), I tend to have other shorter and weaker interests that ride over the top of it, drawing my attention in short bursts before the Sonic'verse pulls me back ♥

I've never really went "off" Sonic.

The biggest moment you could say was when Sonic 2006 wounded me, and even then Rush Adventure made it all better again.

Then again, it takes more than most to make me quit. After all, there's only one or two of "Sonic's shitty friends" that I don't like, so it shouldn't be too surprising.

Shadow onward, I'm just still here because the games end up in the bargain bin so quickly and Capcom is neglecting the Megaman franchise.

Yes I did. Between Sonic 06 and Unleashed, I grew tired of Sonic, I loved Sonic 06 but I then started to play games like CoD etc. But then somehow I got reunitedc with Sonic.

and I hated Sonic and the Black Knight, which is a very loved game)

naaaaaah....you are confusing it with Youtube.

And have I gotten out of Sonic? Well I still got to play the releases I want,since the Mega Collection, tough in terms getting part of the fandom it only happened with the Unleashed hyperbole,tough it wasn't as great as I thought it was gonna be, and the awful Black Knight, it left me neglecting the Frnachise till Sonic 4. If 2012 nothing happens with Sonic I might do that again.

Edited by ChikaBoing

Yup for about 1 and a half years, from Sonic and the Black Knight until around February this year when I was feeling nostalgic and brought Sonic Colours after hearing how good it was. It was of course awesome, :P i'm actually now alot better at the games particularly the classics which I brought a US SEGA Genesis to play the old school way. (I brought it from the US because in Europe we had 50hz Mega Drives and Sonic 1 ran around 20% slower and there are black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.)

I've never really lost interest in Sonic but I did leave the fandom for about an year in 2009 (just to get away from all the drama and negativity - it really help wonders, it calmed me down and I've focused a lot more on my real life) and I got back into it in 2010 when Sonic 4 and Colors was announced.

At the moment I'm actually half in and half out. I've never lost total interest in Sonic but I have gone long periods where I didn't want to play the games.

Edited by Dejablue

I was OBSESSED with Sonic up until Shadow the Hedgehog came out, I still played the old stuff and some of the new stuff but it just wasnt the same/as much. When Sonic 4 episode 1 came out and they changed the voice cast and Sonic colors came out I got really into it again.

Edited by TheDanimator

I once did for a few months back in the late-1990s. My interest in the Classics waned, and I stopped watching videos of the Sonic cartoons. Interest for the series was transplanted into other sources like Monster Rancher and Transformers.

Then I walked by my Gamestop and saw a preview of Sonic Adventure playing in front. I quickly grew interested, and I knew a lifeguard friend who was devoted into it. That's when I first read about the dub of the Sonic OVA being released in September 1999 (around the same time as Adventure), and since then, my interest for Sonic never left.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Around Sonic 4's release, I got completely out of the series. I couldn't get the game (had a crappy modem, couldn't access the Wii Shop Channel) and I was completely taken by recent Mario games and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

I slowly went back to the series, until the release of Sonic Colors. And now I've been playing Sonic a lot since a couple months.

After Genesis games i didn't care about sonic till I bought Advanced 2 and after Shadow I did not play a sonic game till Chronicles.

In fact, to put it in another way, Sonic's fanbase tends to put me off more than the games themselves.

It's the negativity and backlash and fancharacters and hentai and all the rest that gets me.

• Thumbs Up 7

an year in 2009 (just to get away from all the drama and negativity - it really help wonders

Yeah that too, and I felt around that time there too many unreasonable Sonic Adventue Worshippers that put Unleashed on a too low level, which annoyed me. It just seemed like too many were to close-minded to draw paralells between Adventure 1 and (mainly) 2 to Unleashed and how they were set-up similarly and so made the same flaws.

Edited by ChikaBoing

naaaaaah....you are confusing it with Youtube.

I'm not. A lot of the people here on SSMB seem to enjoy the game. Every time I'd say something negative about it, my post would get negative rep.

Yeah that too, and I felt around that time there too many unreasonable Sonic Adventue Worshippers that put Unleashed on a too low level, which annoyed the hell out of me. It just seemed like too many were too close-minded to draw paralells between Adventure 1 and (mainly) 2 to Unleashed and how they were set-up similarly and so made the same flaws.

I've lefted the fanbase like shortly around the time Sonic and the Black Knight came out. All the hate and the negativity towards the series was almost unbearable so I've stopped doing alot of Sonic related stuff and I've left to focus more on myself and other games.

Edited by sonfan1984

I'm not. A lot of the people here on SSMB seem to enjoy the game. Every time I'd say something negative about it, my post would get negative rep.

Ekaje seems to be the only one to me who likes it.

Sonic 06 did irk me. But other than that, I've always been hooked on sonic and from the way things are looking, I always will be hooked on sonic.

I still get excited for the games, but that is about it. I used to be pretty hardcore into various other aspects of the franchise, mainly fanart, but when I realized I was stagnating and wasting my time on drawing Sonic only I began to move on and create my own things (as well as improve 20000% in the process). It was then I stopped devoting any time to roleplaying, I look back on my fancharacters in shame, and I have now moved on to better things that make me feel fulfilled and accomplished, way more than any Sonic related thing probably ever could outside of working on one of the games.

However, I still look forward to each game with excitement. Now that I've stopped getting so involved with the fanbase and all the other fan-related stuff I noticed it actually boosted this excitement/enjoyment. No longer do I get into petty arguments over the dumbest shit and have other people ruin my excitement or vice versa. I just simply look forward to the games and play them now. Sonic has been a big part of my life growing up and I don't think I'll ever truly move on from the series, but I've definitely lessened just how involved with it I am :)

• Thumbs Up 3

Basically in the run up to an important game I'm completely obsessed. So in years where it was just things like secret rings or black knight or shadow, I pretty much don't care.

Unleashed was a bit different; so burned was I by the media backlash on its release, that I actually abused the staff discount where I worked at the time to buy a DS and both Rush games as a pick me up....

Kept them until early '09 at which point i traded it all in. Didn't care for sonic (well not really, i knew at the back of my mind that there would be more) until the formal announcement of 4 a year later.

I admit I lost intrest in the Sonic series as a whole back in 99 after playing Sonic Adventure. It's no secret I'm not an Adventure fan but Adventure itself had nothing to do with me leaving the series, I just felt like there was no need to continue on with the series and went on to other games. I later came back when Project Needlemouse was eventually revealed to be Sonic 4 in 2010.

Edited by Balding Spider