Awoo.

Did you ever get out of Sonic?

Crystal Kingfisher

I was obsessed!! with sonic through the ages of 8-14 (2001-2007) but it started to decline In 2008 because of severe depression which i lost interest in life in general and I'm not getting into further details. 2009 i met my first , now ex-boyfriend and that detered me from sonic further, But then I rebought Sonic Adventure on the xbox marketplace (i had it for dreamcast and gamecube) and I was hooked yet again and have caught up quite a bit :D yay

Shadow and '06 really just didn't catch my interest whatsoever, so that's when I just said screw it and left. I came back with Unleashed though, but it wasn't enough at all to get me back into the whole series. Finally I heard of Generations and got it, which just made me realized how much I had actually missed out on. After that I went out and did my best to get every game I had missed, and since then I've been back in the fanbase as an avid fan.

• 1 month later...

The first time I got into Sonic was when I was 4 or 5 years old because of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. As I started getting older, I liked Mario more, than I got older and liked Sonic more again. Finally when I was a teenager (14 years old ) I decided that I will always like Sonic more, for the rest of my life, and I have to admit, I'm glad I made that decision! 

Yup. I took a break around 2005 to 2013. I was more interested in girls, raves and busy with college. Its a good thing I boxed up my sonic stuff instead of donating it right away. I did that with some of me LEGO thinking that it was babyish and I had to get rid of it because I was going to college. Its not the things you like that make you mature it is the things you do. So what if I like playing Sonic over more "adult" games sometimes? Anyone I trust enough to invite in my home should respect the fact I am an AFOL. So I let go of my ego and gave myself the freedom to like what I like and do what I do. I handle the other areas of my life like any other adult and that is the only thing that matters when you are an adult.

I don't think I can say I ever truly lost interest in Sonic, not completely, there had been many points where it simply fell down my interest scale. At those points, my top interests where stuff like Pokemon, Digimon, and for a very brief period, Dragon Ball Z. It varied a lot, there where times where I was more focused on one thing before switching to the other.

It's funny, as child I practically lacked the ability to keep myself focused one franchise. I would often find myself obsessing over one thing for about a month or two and then switch to something else. But now I can easily multitask my franchises :P

I became obsessed with the Sonic Series after starting to watch Sonic X when it aired on TV. Obsessed with the games, Fanart..etc. I started to loose the interesting after Sonic Unleashed. I don't remember why I suddently wasn't interested in the series anymore. I still got the games after that, But I wasn't crazy about them, like I used too. My spark for Sonic came back a little when the silhouette of Sonic Boom was released and when it was announced this year...Yeah, Now I'm really excited for Sonic again!

I enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog, but I fell out somewhere between 2005 and 2008...I think. Then I played Sonic Rush, deciding I had been away from the Blue Blur way too long...and the rest is history. I even kept up with some of the games I missed in the time between those specific years.

I kinda lost interest after Generations. 2011 - 2014. Until the Sonic Boom announcement. That got me into it. And no I'm not talking about the game, not hyped for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have before, a couple of times, actually.

But really, I don't blame myself that much. It would usually be the times when there wasn't really any hype for future games, kind of like how things were before Sonic Boom was announced. I guess it's the times when there's nothing really Sonic going on, like to look forward to or anything. I don't read the comics, just play the games and re-watch Sonic X all the time. But I always knew that if I were driven away from Sonic for a time, it would always come back, and with each of the hand full of times I've gotten out of Sonic, I've always came back at Super Sonic speed.

I've never went off Sonic and maybe that's because I've only known Sonic for three years but I'll wait until Sonic Boom comes out then I'll see if I still like the blue blur & his friends.

So, I saw the more recent post about what got folks into Sonic and read about this topic, which I think is a more interesting question for me personally. At least, it resonates more with me right now.

Yeah, I did get out of Sonic for a few years actually. It's hard to put a finger on when exactly, and I don't think it could have been any one thing that did it for me, but I imagine that Sonic '06 had a lot to do with it. A lot, but not as much as you might think. In 2008, I was contemplating getting a 7th generation console, since the number of preowned Gamecube games I could get was drying up, but I was torn between getting a Wii and getting an Xbox 360. Being a student at the time, I could only really justify having one, but I was leaning tentatively towards a Wii, purely because of Sonic games, and historically that had been the clincher for me. So, my flatmate let me borrow his Wii and I was incredibly underwhelmed. I played Sonic & the Secret Rings for about an evening and then rage quit because of how awful the controls were. Any interest in owning a Wii evaporated that night.

At Christmas that year, I played Oblivion almost non-stop for about a week. A friend had given me his PC copy, which I hadn't been able to play on my own PC, but I was able to play it on my mum's, and it really opened my eyes to what games could be, as well as forever making me an RPG fangirl. When I returned to Stirling for my final semester, I decided to hell with it and bought a preowned Xbox 360 so I could play Oblivion again -- a decision I am extremely glad I've made, because it opened up a whole vista of awesome gaming, unconstrained by the limited scope of my past focus on Sonic games. It's because of that that, in addition to The Elder Scrolls series and ultimately Skyrim, I was able to get into series like Mass Effect and Fallout, and there's plenty of other games I've really dug on my 360. But the only Sonic title among them is Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, honestly. 

But along with Oblivion, Sonic '06 is one of the first 360 games I owned. And I hated it. Hated it with a fiery passion that burned like a thousand Angry Video Game Nerds. It was fundamentally broken. It was simply impossible for me to play and enjoy. I played it for one Sunday afternoon and then never played it again. And then, after that, Sonic just stopped being important to me. I got and played Sonic Unleashed, but again, it was only brief, and months after I even got it anyways. I tried it again in 2011 and made more of an effort, but then I got to a werehog level and my interested quickly evaporated. It wasn't long after that that I traded it in along with Sonic '06. Together, they paid for dinner that day, which was far more enjoyable.

But I don't think it's quite as simple as the games, really. I've got back into Sonic now and it has nothing to do with the games; that's entirely the doing of the comics. I think my interest in Sonic started a very slow fade when Sonic the Comic went full reprint in 2000. I tried to get into Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog back then, but I just couldn't at the time. (Strangely enough, re-reading those issues recently, I found them much more enjoyable than I originally did. Not sure why; maybe it was understanding the context of what I was reading that helped.) Anyways, the games kept me going for a while, and writing my comic, which began as Sonic fan comic, might have helped. But eventually, Sonic became less important to me and I think my comic reflected that. Sonic played less of a role, as my own characters came to the fore, and eventually I "killed off" Robotnik (although, always with the intention of bringing him back), and Sonic and co. only had bit parts after that. Important bit parts, but still bit parts. Eventually, I kind of sort of wrote Sonic out of the story temporarily, with a mind to do it permanently later on. I've changed my mind now, mostly because, after re-reading the entire classic Marvel Transformers comic from 1984 to 1992 last year, I decided to re-read Sonic the Comic, which I really, really enjoyed. It reminded me that, no matter how much the games fail to impress me, it was never the games that really grabbed me as a kid anyway; it was the cartoons and the comics, and StC was still awesome. I decided to give StH a go too and eventually found that I liked that even more than I liked StC and both of them have inspired me to keep Sonic in my comic. Not to mention, to not take my comic writing too seriously. I worry that I did that a bit too much before. 

So, yeah. For a number of years, Sonic dwindled for me. I can't say exactly when that was, but I'd probably put it somewhere between 2009 and 2013. But, as I rediscovered last year, by reading StC, I've never stopped being a Sonic fangirl, and that's okay.

• Thumbs Up 1

I got into sonic in 2002 when I was 3.

I completely loved the heck out of the blue hedgehog but sadly forgot about him after sonic 06.

I missed out on all the games between sonic 06 and sonic generations.

Few the years I saw all of the trailers on tv and just didn't have that spark for sonic.

I saw sonic colours tv ad and I was kind of impressed.

I told myself I would give it a try but forgot about it and then last year in 2013 I got into sonic when I was looking through the wii u games and saw sonic lost world.

I said hey that's sonic I remember him and then I started to research sonic on the internet everyday and remembered more games and stuff.

My spark for sonic had then come back.

It sucked on what I missed.

I still haven't got the games between sonic 06 and generations.

Because I was pumped for sonic lost world to come out I bought sonic generations and when I played it I remembered a lot.

Green hill zone,

Chemical plant zone,

Sky sanctuary,

I didn't remember the zone after that(the sonic adventure one)

City escape! Remembering that song again was just so awesome.

After all of the remembering stuff I got even more pumped for sonic.

And to this day I'm really excited.

As to what lies in store for sonic!

I still need to watch some of the sonic cartoons.

Last year in November I joined this site.

I like sonic! He's awesome

• Thumbs Up 1

I got into sonic in 2002 when I was 3.

I completely loved the heck out of the blue hedgehog but sadly forgot about him after sonic 06.

I missed out on all the games between sonic 06 and sonic generations.

Few the years I saw all of the trailers on tv and just didn't have that spark for sonic.

I saw sonic colours tv ad and I was kind of impressed.

I told myself I would give it a try but forgot about it and then last year in 2013 I got into sonic when I was looking through the wii u games and saw sonic lost world.

I said hey that's sonic I remember him and then I started to research sonic on the internet everyday and remembered more games and stuff.

My spark for sonic had then come back.

It sucked on what I missed.

I still haven't got the games between sonic 06 and generations.

Because I was pumped for sonic lost world to come out I bought sonic generations and when I played it I remembered a lot.

Green hill zone,

Chemical plant zone,

Sky sanctuary,

I didn't remember the zone after that(the sonic adventure one)

City escape! Remembering that song again was just so awesome.

After all of the remembering stuff I got even more pumped for sonic.

And to this day I'm really excited.

As to what lies in store for sonic!

I still need to watch some of the sonic cartoons.

Last year in November I joined this site.

I like sonic! He's awesome

In 2002, when you were 3...

Dude... I was older than you are today back in 2002!

That makes me feel my age, all right! Still, it's good to see that Sonic still resonates with younger generations. :)

How old are you then?

In your twenties I guess.

25, 26?

Anyway of course sonic attracts younger audiences, why do you think he's there? Lol

Thinking of sonic being canceled(no more games, tv shows and comics)is very terrifying.

I'm pretty damn sure I won't go out of sonic again but if I do I will come back most likely.

Anyone suggest I buy sonic unleashed?

Looks great

Unleashed HD? If so, then yes. The Werehog isn't as atrocious as some say. Just mute the TV when the battle music comes on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm kinda out of him right now, mainly due to the fact that I don't have a Wii U and thus was indifferent to Lost World and went a year without new material. And Seeing as Boom will be on Wii U (and I dont have a ps4 or xbone), I may be out for a while. But I'm sure I'll get back in eventually.

How old are you then?

In your twenties I guess.

25, 26?

Anyway of course sonic attracts younger audiences, why do you think he's there? Lol

Thinking of sonic being canceled(no more games, tv shows and comics)is very terrifying.

I'm pretty damn sure I won't go out of sonic again but if I do I will come back most likely.

Looks great

I shall be 28 in a few weeks. Also, I didn't care for Sonic Unleashed myself, apart from the daytime levels. If you have the patience for the much longer and much slower night time levels, go for it. You can probably get it cheap now. 

After being an avid fan since Sonic Adventure, I did lose interest after Sonic 06 & the slew of games that came out on the Wii afterwards just didn't interest. I didn't play Sonic Unleashed upon release because of that lack interest, same thing for Sonic Colors, Rush Adventure & Dark Brotherhood. In spite of that I did purchase Sonic Riders, but the sequel threw any emergence of interest down the toilet.

Sonic Generations looked promising & after getting it for my birthday in 2010, it fully re-energised my love of Sonic; which has only grown stronger since.

You got Sonic Generations for your birthday in 2010?

Who gave that present to you? I want to use his/her time machine.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually sort of lost interest in sonic for about a year or two in 7th grade, about the time Colors was coming out. That was a really strange time for me, as I was basically out of video games as a whole then. Because of this, I completely missed Colors (even though I was considering getting the game) and wasn't able to play through Generations. Lost World is the first game since Unleashed I've actually played and beat. 

I lost interest briefly while at secondary school - as most people my age did I think  - which was a shame as that was when a lot of really great games came out - such as the Sonic Adventure series but then got back into him in a big way in my last year of sixth form - and have been a solid fan again ever since.  I guess I was playing a lot of Nintendo titles back then and didn't have a lot of time for Sonic. 

I did fall out of favour with Sonic when I was growing up. Well, 'fall out of favour' sounds like we had an argument or something. More like, my interest in Sonic kinda died out. It was during the Sega Saturn era to be fair - after the Mega Drive I jumped into Nintendo for the first time with an N64 (never regretted it, brilliant console), and only ever knew the Saturn existed through a family friend who happened to have one.

It was actually when I discovered the Internet, in 1999 at high school, when I got interested in Sonic again. Everyone was playing Sonic 2 on their Genecyst DOS Emulators and I got into the nostalgia of the MD classics. Then Sonic Adventure came out. Then I made TSS. :)

Edit: Funnily enough, you'd think I'd quit Sonic again after 06. I didn't. :P

Way back when, I had SADX and Sonic Heroes on PC, and I played the crap out of those for years, because besides those and the few other PC games I had, there was no internet. We only got normal internet around 2008, and that was the tail-end of the dark ages, so I was completely oblivious to games like Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, etc. until after the dark age finally ended. So I never experienced Sonic's worst until I knew there was light at the end of the tunnel with Colors and Generations (and to a lesser extent, Unleashed and Sonic 4). So I never had a reason to give the series up, and with everything since S4ep1 being at least playable, I'm happy with where the series is and I will continue to be a fan until it dies.

Way back when, I had SADX and Sonic Heroes on PC

Man, I remember SADX on PC. You must have had the patience of a saint just for loading it up. Or did you not have the European version (the EU version had a pre-launch bug where you had to swap discs twice just to load the title screen... before swapping discs again)?