Awoo.

Did you ever get out of Sonic?

Crystal Kingfisher

I was completely obsessed back in '05 and '06 (I was ten years old, don't judge me xP), but once people started getting annoyed at me for it (I'll be honest, I was completely obnoxious about it. I had it coming.) I just gave up the series in general. When Unleashed was announced I started to become interested again, and joined the SEGA Forums. I went from being an obnoxious fanbrat to the person I am today (a slightly less obnoxious fanboy :'D) over the years.

The only time I've really lost interest in Sonic was during my teenage years, because I've never been able to afford anything more expensive than a PS1, so I had to entertain myself with other games.

I got back into the franchise a few years later after getting internet and the chance of trying Sonic 3 & Knuckles (that game was never relased properly where I live).

But the game that got me back into the "fanbase" was Unleashed, that game looked awesome and so fun to play... Thanks to that game I got into the SSMB (and the Retro forums, untill that day I only went to Retro for the hacks) where I lurked untill Project Needlemouse got announced.

And here I am, I might not be posting much but my interest in Sonic hasn't really faded since then.

I was a pretty avid Sonic Fan until Sonic Heroes came out. I played it through its entirety, and felt a bit disappointed. But that didn't veer me from enjoying Sonic games.

Then came Shadow the Hedgehog, and well... Sonic went down the shithole for me. I payed attention to other games instead. I knew about 06, but to be frank, I wasn't too interested.

Then came Sonic Unleashed. I started playing the game, (because I didn't even know it existed) and I started to feel a bit interested again. I started playing retro Sonic games, bought Sonic 4 for the iPod, desperately wanted (want) Sonic Colors... Before I knew it, I became a Sonic fan again. :lol:

Edited by Tatsumaki

I had a half year hiatus in 2010, because after Sonic 4 there was Sonic Colors and also Sonic Free Riders, with people still trying to get over Black Knight and the polarized Unleashed reception (which, tbh is actually my favorite 3D game). I was like "Wow this is pretty fucking ridiculous..." when Colors was announced, but after it came out I started getting back into the series a little bit, with Generations actually completely getting me back into it again.

Although I was never a huge fan to begin with, I'm more like "just there" haha.

The period between 1996 and 1999 was very 'Sonic lite' so, until I found that Sega Saturn magazine with the funky new Sonic Adventure artwork on the cover, the hype was pretty low. After being disappointed by Heroes, as well as the comic and cartoons being long gone, I was less excited about the franchise in general. Shadow seemed OK as a side game but for obvious reasons I didn't take it too seriously. Then came 2006. Sonic the Hedgehog, a return to roots and all that. I was fairly hyped but there was a lot going on in my life at the time so I didn't get caught up in it all. Just as well, because we all know how that turned out XD. So to summarise: 2003 until 2006 was an OK time period but 2006-2008 was certainly a low point. Secret Rings fared better but was not my cup of tea in the end.

In 2008 however Unleashed presented the new (daytime stage) formula and it felt awesome. The stages looked so beautiful too. It increased my hope for Sonic, and two years later, Colours came out. Although short and sweet, it was actually praised by critics. Fast-forward to now and we have Generations coming up - the first game I've been insanely hyped for since SA2 or Heroes. Let it meet expectations! :]

Edited by Lungo

I pretty much quit playing Sonic after 2002 and moved on to other games. Then in 2009 I found a random sonic video on youtube and remembered how much I like the classics. This led to me digging out my old games and once I found the classic ROMs online I was hooked again.

I had Sonic 2 for the Master System as a kid, along with a NES and Mario 2. When I was 8 I got an N64 for christmas, and remained Nintendo central for the following years. I still played Sonic 2 on the Master System at my Dad's house when I visited, and played some of the Mega Drive games at friends' houses (so was familiar with them). Also borrowed Sonic 1 for the Master System, which due to the friend losing his Master System let me keep.

I still had no interest in really getting back into the series (played Sonic Adventure on a demo pod when the DreamCast came out and it didn't captivate me), probably due to peer pressure of the whole console war thing with kids at the time - I had Nintendo so therefore SEGA and Playstation sucked.

Then I tried Sonic Adventure 2 on GameCube and loved it. After being raised on nothing but Nintendo games, which are beautiful and magical, the STYLE and "COOLNESS" of this game with it's vocal rock song driven opening stage and all that - blew me away. I had to get a copy of my own.

I've been hooked ever since. Got Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Heroes on release day - had a brief time where I was less avid, took a while to get Shadow and Riders after launch, but ever since the Wii I've been a day one purchaser for every big Sonic title (neglected Mario & Sonic and some collection game/re-releases a little) since.

I did go on quite a hiatus once...back in 1994. I'll be honest, there were sparse bits of Sonic after that (watching some AoStH, playing some Sonic 3 in 1996, knowing of Underground), but nothing that had me riveted like I was between 1992 and 1994. Nah, in that time, I got into Crash Bandicoot in a big way (starting in 1999 with CTR).

Ironically, it was discovering Archie Sonic in 2002 that got me at least a little interested in Sonic. It was still nothing major, until I learned that there was a character like a Sonic equivalent of Dingodile, and then being ecstatic when I found out this same character was going to be in the newest game at the time. I saved up for weeks to afford the £14.97 I needed to buy it.

Never looked back since. :)

Ashamed to admit it... but yes I did, but not because I was bored of Sonic or anything like that.

Pretty much the only reason I stopped playing for ages was because I could never afford a Saturn or a Dreamcast to continue on. I had a ton of fun with S3&K, but when Saturn and Dreamcast came along I fell pretty much out of the loop as to what Sonic was doing.

It wasn't until I got my PS2 and was aware of the arrival of Sonic Heroes that my interest peaked again. Been back with Sonic ever since :D

I never really "all-out" got out of Sonic after getting into it, but the love was never as strong as back in the SA2- '06 time period when I was still a kid. Before Unleashed came out my interest in the franchise waned a little bit because the gap with no game news after Secret rings was very long, and I was getting bored. For me it's a cycle, get the new game, get bored with the franchise until news of a new game comes out, then the love for the franchise is rejuvenated, though the love is usually a tiny little bit less after each time. These days though I must admit that my love is waning a bit, and I'm quite honestly going through the motions for the most part. I've just gotten too jaded with the whole thing year in and year out, not at the games themselves, as I'm way too optimistic for my own good, but the public reception of the franchise itself in general. I'm just getting tired of the whole thing, always feeling like I'm on the losing side, apart of the "laughing stock" of people who cling to a "dead franchise," "what idiots," ect. Not that I agree with these things, but years of hearing the same stuff will sort of mess you up after awhile, and I guess I'm starting to see things in a more realistic light. The Sonic people really want isn't ever coming back, and Sonic is never gonna have this big "epic comeback" or revival or whatever, as I used to think would happen, especially with Unleashed and somewhat with S4. Sure there will be good games over the next few years, but that's it. It's too late for any big comeback, and I kinda feel bad for people sometimes when they get all excited that "this new game's gonna bring Sonic back to the top" because they'll only be disappointed in the end. A very small spark inside me is always burning though, always holding out hope, but it's not the flame of hope that it was back in the '06 and Unleashed days. Sorry to be such a downer, but, yeah. These days Sonic isn't even my number 1 interest, he's just one of many interests, though he's still high on the list obviously, since I'm always on the boards.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm, I'd say there are probably two stages where my interest in Sonic was overshadowed by other things or just slightly lessened, but I never outright went off the series.

First stage was when Pokemon first hit the UK. Got totally caught up in all that, and Sonic took something of a back seat for a while. Again, never really went off him, he just went out of my immediate line of sight for a bit.

Second was when I started Uni (and for most of it). A lot of stuff was going on and changing in my life around then, I got into lions in a big way, and again, Sonic sort of drifted out of the spotlight into second place for a couple of years. Again, he didn't slip far; like I said, second place- I still bought and played the games, read the Sonic X comic and what have you. The only difference was that, for a few years, I didn't completely spam out on buying any and all Sonic merchandise that I could. You might say I slipped to the level of a 'normal' fan, as opposed to previously eating, breathing and sleeping 'Sonic'. ohmy.gif

Then sense came back to me in early 2010, and I had a few years' worth of merchandise to catch up on. That was an expensive few months!

• Thumbs Up 2

1995 through '99 where there was nothing going on with the franchise. I was too young and oblivious to bother caring and looking up what was going on with it during that time and the Genesis had long since collapsed, so I stuck with other games to bide my time until I saw a Best Buy advert for SA1.

It's too late for any big comeback, and I kinda feel bad for people sometimes when they get all excited that "this new game's gonna bring Sonic back to the top" because they'll only be disappointed in the end.

There's no need to shoot down my dreams. The post was depressing enough.

Should've clarified. I meant "big come back" in the eyes of the general public, y'know, with him being more recognizable than Micky Mouse and being seen as an equal to Mario again all that stuff. Personally, I think Sonic already had a "comeback" with Unleashed, but no one outside the fanbase see's it that way. And hey, I wanna be dead- wrong but when you really get down to it, people are probably always gonna hate Modern Sonic, no matter how much he's been improved. People are only really looking at Generations because classic Sonic's in it. Depressing? Yes. Dumb? Yes. But what can you do? Keep on believing though, but it's gonna be a long wait. We've seen already that one good game in the eyes of the critics isn't enough to bring Sonic out of the rut, so we've still got a long string of games to go before Sonic's even seen as a good series again, if at all.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Oh, I knew that. I just thought that for such an already joy-killing post, the "You know that Sonic is absolutely very definitely never going to be fantastic again, right?" bit felt like overkill.

It just makes everyone feel like what you described - "idiots", "deluded", "lol Sonic fans", etc.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Sorry for that, I guess I was just venting, as I've been called every one of the things I described on other non-Sonic sites, if anything I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I was actually going for "we've all been there right?" And it came out wrong. The other stuff was actually directed at non-sonic fans with the "the old sonic you want isn't coming back" bit. And with the feeling bad for people getting their hopes up, like I said before, I wasn't talking about the games themselves, but the reception of said games.

Apologies.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sorry for that, I guess I was just venting, as I've been called every one of the things I described on other non-Sonic sites, if anything I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I was actually going for "we've all been there right?" And it came out wrong. The other stuff was actually directed at non-sonic fans with the "the old sonic you want isn't coming back" bit. And with the feeling bad for people getting their hopes up, like I said before, I wasn't talking about the games themselves, but the reception of said games.

Apologies.

Yeah I get you are saying, I mean since I played sonic advance for the first time I was immediately a sonic fan and until now I never got tired of sonic,but i do have my moments when I do think about the stuff you said and then I feel really down because I'm afraid sonic will never get better or that he gets worse.But then I always say tomorrow is a new day, maybe its not tomorrow or even the day after that but sonic will get over it.

I mean where fans and if we don't believe in the franchise who does,right?

Edited by redhellc

Back in the day I wasn't so fanatic about the series as I am now. I grew up playing nintendo games until the dreamcast. Even then I wasn't a real fan I just knew who sonic was and if I saw a sonic game at blockbuster or something I would get it. I really didn't get into sonic until I heard about unleashed and at the time I thought it was cool. So at first I really didn't really get into sonic until recently with the help of unleashed, sonic 4, and colors.

After unleahed, i quit the series. After colors came out, i bought it and loved it but I've never been able to have as much with the games, since. :(

I've never officially "quit" as such, since I got into Sonic back in 2004. What did change is that while, at one stage, I bought every game (and also managed to get the majority of the games from 1991 up until where I joined the franchise), but I think around 2007, I stopped... I think the first Sonic game I didn't bother to buy, that was for a console I owned, was Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. I guess Sonic games went from being must-buys to "may as well pick up, for the sake of it"-type games. The only Sonic game I've bought since Unleashed was Sonic 4 (not counting the PS3 port of Sonic Adventure), though Generations is looking to be an essential addition to my collection.

I'm not always in a Sonic "mood", but I'm like that with all my favourite franchises - there are very few games I could truly play any time, I have to be in the right frame of mind. I lost a bit of interest in the series after Sonic 06, but not enough to kill my following altogether... I still followed game releases and stuff.

Yeah, I totally did lose all interest in Sonic. And I was such a big fanboy at age 8. But then my aunt moved far away, and took her Sega Genesis with her. Sonic comics became hard to find. I couldn't find the cartoons anymore... He just sort of phased out of my life, not by choice. I still saw atwork of him in games occasionally, and games on systems I didn't have, and I always though "ohhh... I miss him.." But I didn't draw him or think about him ever again. All I had to play were Nintendo games. So I only thought about Nintendo characters. Don't get me started on the first time I saw his Sonic Adventure re-design. I hated it so much... and the new playable characters like Big and Gamma really didn't help me perception of the style change. I only saw the artwork by the way, where all the characters liked to get into weird and awkward poses. But then I got older... I saw a commercial for Sonic Adventure 2. It actually looked cool... and then it came out for gamecube. I fell in love with the new look and everything Sonic all over again, probably even more so than I was as a kid. I don't think I would have loved the Adventure series as much as I did if I played Sonic Adventure 1 first.

I lost an awful lot of my enthusiasm for Sonic though. I guess I actually preferred the horribly written stories of the Adventure, Heroes, Shadow, and 2006 than what they are doing nowdays. I know for damn sure I miss the hoards of colorful characters in every game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nope. I've been with Sonic and never left.

Edited by STrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

pretty much yeah

I used to be obsessed with the series (the genesis games moreso ) early on, and some of the modern games as well, after shadow............nope.avi

i still play the games, but pretty much i disassociate myself with the fanbase, and I have much much bigger interests besides sonic

I've tried to get out, but they keep pulling me back in.

Seriously though, even when other things in my life have peaked my interest I still find time for Sonic. Though I do admit its not as important to me as it used to be, maybe its because I've got more important things going on in my life right now, but I don't feel the same way I did as when I first got into the series. I still love the franchise to death however, and I guess its the prosepct of a potentially good game, that keeps me coming back, we're the underdog waiting for our chance and when it happens its going to be awesome.