Awoo.

Did you ever get out of Sonic?

Crystal Kingfisher

For a while, I was out of Sonic, but not completely. After Shadow, I was a little discouraged. I ended up moving the year of 06, and I never got a PS3, so I never knew how bad it was. Remembering the good days, I hoped and preordered S&tSR. I actually had quite a bit of fun with it, and got slightly more back into Sonic. Never got fully back into it though, that is, until I played Sonic 4, and then Colors! :)

Also... So you know, I have played 06, at my friends house... j8

Should've clarified. I meant "big come back" in the eyes of the general public, y'know, with him being more recognizable than Micky Mouse and being seen as an equal to Mario again all that stuff. Personally, I think Sonic already had a "comeback" with Unleashed, but no one outside the fanbase see's it that way. And hey, I wanna be dead- wrong but when you really get down to it, people are probably always gonna hate Modern Sonic, no matter how much he's been improved. People are only really looking at Generations because classic Sonic's in it. Depressing? Yes. Dumb? Yes. But what can you do? Keep on believing though, but it's gonna be a long wait. We've seen already that one good game in the eyes of the critics isn't enough to bring Sonic out of the rut, so we've still got a long string of games to go before Sonic's even seen as a good series again, if at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I lost it after sonic unleashed, oficially. Sonic 06 was a mistake, but sonic unleashed was an official polished game, and I didn't feel the satisfaction even when every single trailer got me more excited. Then sonic 4 episode 1 ruined it forever. I am not a fan in general, just a fan of the stuff from the 90's mostly, the good stuff. I used to despise nintendo with my biased mind back in the days but today i look forward mostly to their upcoming games. Stuff like assassins creed and other SEGA franchises that "are" designed well like the upcoming pso 2 and binary domain get my attention way more.

However I am and will always be a "SEGA" fan. As long that's the case, sonic will always play part of interest.

There was a short period of time between 1998 and 2002 when my interest in Sonic was lukewarm at best. I bought and played the Adventure games, but none of them really captured me. The first Adventure game did at first, but the novelty quickly wore off. It wasn't until 2003 when my interest was rekindled when I downloaded a Sega CD emulator and played Sonic CD for the first time. After that, my parents got me Sonic Advance which further cemented my interest in the series. I had hoped the console games would do the same, but Heroes didn't do it for me, and Shadow put me off of the console games entirely. I avoided Sonic 06 the moment I saw the negative impressions roll in, but I did rent Sonic Unleashed which was okay. I couldn't care less for the spin-offs, except All-Stars Racing which was actually good. Then Colors came, then Generations was announced, and now I'm back.

I'm also interested in Sonic for the art and hacking community. There are a lot of talented fan artists and hackers in the community and I always look forward to seeing the wonderful things they can do with Sonic. I would like to be a part of that soon.

EDIT: Shortened for tl;dr

Edited by Preston

Once.

Initially I never really questioned my love for Sonic games because frankly, back in that day I was a mindless sheep - as long as I believed I was having fun, that was all that mattered. Then I started lurking message boards around the time Heroes was released and noticed people were saying it really wasn't that good, so I thought "well fuck, I better skip it then because I'm a bloody cheapskate". For a while I kinda forgot he even existed - in the meantime I found a new obsession in the Unreal Tournament series, and by proxy, the absolutely ridiculous amount of modded content that the fans made for the games over the years. At one stage I found a CTF-GreenHillZone map for UT99 while browsing for more maps.

sonic5.jpg?PHPSESSID=b45d0a6d7495ea24b9bf7b9689616d74

About the only problem I ever had with it was the rings, which only gave you 1 health and ring monitors which gave you 10 (which is understandably jarring and not particularly useful in a game built around at least 100 health at standard), but I still nonetheless thought that this was a pretty fucking awesome map. The best bit by far would have to be the usable Speed Shoes behind each team's base, which uses CD's speedshoes music and lasts about as long, but makes you so fast you can comfortably reach the opposite base with relative ease, then if you're lucky, steal their flag, steal their speedshoes and sprint all the way back to the sound of enraged blue bloodsport enthusiasts. That kind of mobility was incredible coming from a game like this, and I started thinking to myself "You know what this needs? A motherfuckin' Sonic player model to go with it!"

I never found one, but I got something even better - I got involved with these dudes.

When that happened I kinda had to catch up on Sonic had been up to, and ended up getting involved in the community proper. I guess you could say it's not even specifically the games themselves that rekindled my interest in Sonic, but by some absurd twist of fate, the fanboys themselves. Which is kinda strange really considering how reputable we generally are for being complete fucking retards, but you know... well, you guys are kind of like idiots I can enjoy talking to, so it makes no difference to me.

Incidentally I did end up getting Heroes eventually. Still hated it. Turns out you guys were right all along!

Yes I've lost interest in sonic - which is why I mainly just read posts within the forum then comment on them - but in all honesty I can't recall when my interest for Sonic diminished. It would probably be around 10th grade and I don't even remember what was going on then.

After looking at the comments it makes me less pumped for generations and makes me feel not a whole lot of people will give it a second look and think "I've been burned to many times to trust them." But yeah i lost interest around heroes release. It didn't seem that fun for me, then the rush games to now got me to be a fan again.(not counting 4 06)

Edited by Dudehedgehogfan1996

I definitely did... after Sonic & Knuckles, I just never bothered with Sonic. The Saturn didn't appeal to me and neither did the Dreamcast. I was into other games and stuff... on top of that, I was also focusing on my studies in those days and I just never got around to Sonic. I never hated or disliked him, my interest just wasn't there anymore.

My interest for Sonic didn't occur until 2004-2006. I remembered Sonic being a great part of childhood when I came across some Tails forum and so I decided to join that in 2004. I was never too fond of the Tails character when I played the Sonic games growing up, but then he became my favorite character as time went by.

Then I was told about the Sonic Stadium in 2007 and I joined the forum. I didn't seriously get into Sonic until Sonic Unleashed was released in 2008. Since then I played it and then I got Sonic Colors when I got a DS for Xmas 2010. Well that's my story.

If anything, it's a positive for a topic like this to be discussed. Most game franchises don't even last long enough to warrant such discussion.

I sorta got out of Sonic during his first "dark age" from 1996-1999, mainly because the Genesis was about dead and I wasn't willing to get a Saturn to play the uninspired Sonic titles that were released on it. At that point my only exposure to Sonic was the comic books, which carried me through until I bought a Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure on day one of release.

Edited by PC the Hedgehog

Well, maybe a little. All I knew of Sonic was the fact that he had a couple games on the Genesis. I loved these things. But when I got a 64, that all changed. I thought the Genesis games were great. But that they really couldn't compare. I still loved them and played them, just not as much. Then eventually I just happened to go into a comic book store for Pokemon card league on the day of Free comic book day. I picked up the Sonic comic, and here I am. Undying love for everything Sonic. (except Chris,06,Sonic 4's physics...)

I have my times, but its mostly the fanbase that takes me away if anything. I will always be a fan of SEGA though so Sonic will always simply come with it.

Wow, its pretty sad for a franchise when this topic is even being discussed.

I don't think so. It's natural for one's love of a particular fandom to ebb and flow, either for reasons related to the franchise itself or for personal reasons.

This!

As for me the only moment where I was kind of out was in the time between S3&K and the first adventure game (with a few guilty pleasures games in between such as Fighters), tough the advance games where the ones that kept me around since they showed good Sonic games could still be done (plus I'm more of a fan of the 2-D side scroller games). 06 was one that almost made me left the franchise since I still consider it the lowest point until Unleashed came.

The Sonic people really want isn't ever coming back, and Sonic is never gonna have this big "epic comeback" or revival or whatever, as I used to think would happen, especially with Unleashed and somewhat with S4. Sure there will be good games over the next few years, but that's it. It's too late for any big comeback, and I kinda feel bad for people sometimes when they get all excited that "this new game's gonna bring Sonic back to the top" because they'll only be disappointed in the end.

Edited by Lungo
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess I actually preferred the horribly written stories of the Adventure, Heroes, Shadow, and 2006 than what they are doing nowdays. I know for damn sure I miss the hoards of colorful characters in every game.

I wouldn't say the Adventure series had horrible stories, but I agree with what you are saying. I totally agree.

Gosh, it was a nightmare, but I finally got out of being inside of Sonic. There were nothing but chilidogs everywhere.

On topic: yes, when Pokemon was popular.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, I've always been inside him ;)

*obligatory sex joke*

The"No" is true, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just got into Sonic like 2 years ago. So no. Not yet.

If I have not read your posts and not know you, I would have totally saw you as a fan of the Shadow game, with your Avatar.

Edited by ChikaBoing

If I have not read your posts and not know you, I would have totally saw you as a fan of the Shadow games, with your Avatar.

Shadow games? All one of them?

• Thumbs Up 2