Awoo.

Did you ever get out of Sonic?

Crystal Kingfisher

I never really lost interest in Sonic. I did have a period when I was questioning if I was getting too old for it, but I got out of that as soon as I discovered these forums (I lurked for a while before joining) and learned that your age doesn't matter in what you like. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I never really lost interest in Sonic. I did have a period when I was questioning if I was getting too old for it, but I got out of that as soon as I discovered these forums (I lurked for a while before joining) and learned that your age doesn't matter in what you like. 

Yaaaay me too! :D

I also felt sympathetic to Black Rock Shooter's post there - I too was bullied a lot for liking Sonic (well, besides other things - I was also a fugly teenager with terrible fashion taste!). They'd see me drawing him and I had a lot of Sonic merch, I was easy pickings for the bullies of the school. It pretty much drove me away from the franchise as I got older. Tbh now I am an adult and don't really give a shit what people think, I play the games, read the comics and have even caught myself drawing again! :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Did I ever get out of Sonic, you say? Oh boy, DID I EVER.

When I first saw Shadow the Hedgehog I sighed and moved on. It, like Wario Land, was supposed to be a spin-off and not a main Sonic game, right? (Oh if only I knew.) So I waited a while and we got the one and only SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2006) in the oven. Sonic in a realistic world? Well, I like Sonic Adventure 1&2, so what was the worst that could happen? New Hedgehog character? I like Amy and Metal Sonic (and Shadow at the time, just not as much), hell, I like most of the characters introduced so far, so why not give this Venice/Silver dude a chance, right? Well of course, the game sucked terribly. When I saw some dickweed marijuana plant throwing a Sports Mascot with a weird voice into the walls, I realized the series had run it's course. It had headed the fuck into a direction I didn't want to follow. And a few years later when I saw trailers of Sonic tanking about as a stretchy hairball wolf-thing, I questioned why I ever liked such a ridiculously crap series in the first place. I never bought or played a single Sonic game from 2006-2010.

Abcc.jpgKa2I1vAa2qOTyNEh.jpg

HOT DAMN. I'll never regret buying Sonic Colors on a whim. And Generations was even better, such a wonderfully crafted (if slightly disappointing in some aspects) game. When I ran from the collapsing Sky Sanctuary, rocketed down the skyscraper of Speed Highway, dashed away from the GUN Truck, and grinded down Rooftop Run, I remembered why I was a fan of such a ridiculously amazing series. And I was proud to be a Sonic fan. Sonic my dear 'hog, no matter how much you screw up Sonic 4, or play it safe in the main series, even flunk Marketing 101 like a boss, I ain't giving up my fanboyism ever again, no matter what!

...but if you make a Shadow 2 or a Sonic Adventure 3, we need to have a word. And make Knuckles important again, eh?

Edited by -The Joker-
  • Thumbs Up 5

I "got out" of Sonic in two occasions:

The first was when I switched my Mega Drive for a PS1 back in 2000. It's pretty obvious why, but my PS1 era helped me to get more on my other favorite franchise ever: Mega Man (more specifically, Mega Man X). But, looking back now, even if I had a Saturn I wouldn't have any luck, Sonic Jam isn't a new game per se and Sonic R is just stupid.

Then, I was planning to get a Dreamcast, everytime I saw something about SA1 I would get super excited. But, before being able to get one SEGA decided to call it quits on the console market, so I switched to a PS2. I got back to the series with Sonic Heroes and Sonic Mega Collection Plus.

The second time I got off was after '06 release. I was waiting for that game, I thought it would be the best game ever. But, then I saw the videos and the reviews... and got massively disappointed. To this date, I haven't played 06 yet (but I plan to). I actually got a Wii only to play Sonic and The Secret Rings and would only get my PS3 later.

I didn't care for Sonic Unleashed when it was released and the only things I followed were the portable games. But I couldn't play them properly because I didn't have a DS. I was never interested in Rivals, since I didn't want to buy PSP only to play 3 or 4 games.

I started following the series again with the release of Sonic Colors. After that, I decided to buy Unleashed too and every game that was released after that I got on release day.

Edited by ViniciusLC

I was one of the people who really liked Unleashed, and I kinda 'left' the fanbase for a bit after getting frustrated at the constant complaints that I just didn't see in the game. Never really lost interest in the franchise itself.

Edited by Iggy
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm in danger of losing interest in the series if SEGA doesn't up it's game a bit. It's really odd. I thoroughly enjoyed the dark years from after SA2s release through to the tables finally turning with Unleashed. But now? It's just not exciting any more. It's no going anywhere, it's not doing anything, it's not got me eager with excitement. All I'm waiting for, honestly, is change.

Oh and there's another big reason I'm losing interest.

diiiiimmmmmppppppssssss.png

Precisely what I was going to say, Blue Blood. I'm hardly have any interest for the new Sonic game (hypothetically) coming out this year, if only because I'm expecting Sonic Team to play it safe like they did with the last two games. As for Dimps, what needs to be said about them really, other than they hit the plateau of stagnant mediocrity earlier than Sonic Team did beginning with Unleashed Wii. The fact that my interest for Episode II died the minute the trailer came out because I saw that it was going to be exactly more of the same from Episode I (although there are other reasons, but that was the biggest one) speaks volumes, as that didn't happen to me when the first gameplay trailers for Generations, and Episode I hit. Same goes for Sonic games that weren't based on nostalgia such as Colors, Unleashed, 06, and hell even Shadow the Hedgehog. (I was nine, don't judge me >:V)

Ever since I was first associated with the franchise since Sonic 2, I never really left-the only time I can consider being "absent" from the series was my time in late 90s/early 2000s when I was acquainted with my N64-but even then, it was only because I never actually owned any Sonic games at that point in time, so I merely forgot about it rather than just leaving. But like Blue Blood, unless Sega wants to step up their game, that may change.

Edited by Hatsune Miku

Ever since my interest in Sonic rekindled in 03, I never got out of Sonic again. All through that time, even through the times when Sonic's reputation was dampened by Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 (I liked those games), I never got out of Sonic.

I know some people say Sonic has not turned around, but I respectfully disagree. I say Sonic really started turing around with Colors and Generations. I would say Unleashed, x360 version, but because of the werehog.... Though, to be honest, the werehog is my favorite 'secondary gameplay style' ever made, surpassing mech shooting and treasure hunting.

So, short answer, no, I have never gotten out of Sonic and I don't think I will. There are times when for a few weeks I focus on another series of games, such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid, or Kirby games. But I always find myself coming back to Sonic. Ever since 03, I have enjoyed nearly every Sonic game released.

This post is pretty long, but if you read it all, I'll reward you with some new info on the original ASR's development! 8D

I was one of those douchebags who dreamed of someday playing Sonic on Nintendo, even though I understood why it was unlikely even as a young boy. I loved Sonic 2 during the 16-bit days on friends' systems (and I was even the go-to guy when people needed help with Chemical Plant Act 2), but I never had a SEGA console of my own. I still loved Sonic and longed for him but my parents were weary of getting me into SEGA consoles, because they had to spend enough money as-is on my Nintendos, so I wasn't allowed to have anything else. I still loved Sonic though.

...But then I played a Sonic Adventure 2 demo at a GameCube kiosk in early 2002. It was weird. I liked the atmosphere of City Escape and I loved how there was still a loop, but something just wasn't right. Sonic's loose-yet-clunky controls put me off. I didn't feel like there was enough platforming. The game was muted, and I'll get to why that's important later.

Over a year later, I was interested in Sonic Adventure DX, as I saw a lot of posts on Sonic forums at the time claiming the first game was much better than Sonic Adventure 2. However, the mediocre reviews combined with my bad experience with Sonic Adventure 2 sorta scared me, so I asked my parents for Sonic Mega Collection, which was basically a lifelong dream finally realized for me.

Sonic Mega Collection really overglorified Sonic Adventure 2, and the idea of playing as bad guys sounded really cool. I was willing to give the game a second chance and I ended up getting it a couple years later for a bargain price.

It was still kinda bad, but my brothers loved it. City Escape's punk music (with actual vocals!) was really awkward for me, being used to the pop songs of the Genesis games, but the song very quickly became an amazing guilty pleasure. I still had the same awkward control issues, and the mech/treasure hunting stages made me want to put the game down, but... Chao Gardens!!1!!11!11!!!! I played the Hero story and I made it to that desert level with Eggman before giving up on the game, but I finally beat it through the HD release.

A year later I tried Adventure DX, and... The game had similar control issues and many more glitches, but it was generally a much more appealing game for whatever reason. It felt like Sonic despite its flaws and that was a lot more than I could say about Adventure 2 (or Heroes, which I tried and was disgusted by much earlier that year). The alternate gameplays were also a lot more bearable, other than Big the Cat's. I also played Gems around this time and I loved Sonic CD, a game I coveted on PC but never got to play.

I didn't like any of the console games after this until Unleashed HD, but I adored Sonic Advance 1. Sonic Unleashed HD was a similar case to Sonic Adventure DX, where I knew there were problems but it had charm and felt like Sonic to me. And for what it's worth, Werehog gameplay was better than Sonic Adventure 2's mech/treasure hunting games in my opinion. :PScrew Chun-nan though.

A few of my suggestions got into the original ASR (the Speech Volume option and the song Into the Wind, which plays on the DS version's credits and was originally going to play on the console credits too before Bentley Jones got involved), which was flattering enough to get me to buy it at full price. It's still my favourite racer of all time.

I had lurked these forums and even had a mostly inactive account as long as I can remember. In early 2010, I came into contact with someone who had connections with SEGA, I learned about the recast (and got some preliminary Colours and Generations info, but I kept that stuff to myself and a really close friend of mine :P), told you guys during the Colors reveal and got mostly ignored and neg-repped a few times (XD), then I told you guys again later on after there was supposedly big franchise-changing news, and I later supplied clips from Free Riders (through a friend who coincidentally got it early) and Colors DS (through hacking an early copy before their respective releases - I was just really really lucky that year). Through this I became really interested in the series and I finally became a part of Sonic's online fandom and my life was forever ruined.

I loved Colours, and I loved Generations. I like Sonic 4 for what it is. A month or so after Generations, I decided to give Rush Adventure a chance despite disliking Rush (and sorta liking Colours DS) and I loooved it.

So no, I disliked a lot of Sonic games and didn't have access to Sonic for the longest time, but I never lost interest in the franchise whatsoever.

(If you were wondering about that new bit of info on ASR's development, it's this: I've never publicly revealed that bit about Into the Wind originally being the ASR console credits music - it's even still on the disc's data from what I remember! Pretty lame reward, huh?)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm...this topic sure did take off after I brought it back...wanted to reply to a few things here:

I just don't even know what to say. Words cannot even. Asshole. angry.png Pfffffffff. What. Oh just What The Fuck.

I could go into a lot more detail about what I think of this but it would not be civil, logical or necessary; I'm sure anyone else reading this feels the same. Then again, maybe not because it's not really anyone else's place to be immensely pissed off by something that has nothing to do with them yet my mind seems to ignore that but maybe other people are different but still it's nothing short of abhorrent, it's so fucking mean and destructive on multiple levels and I have no tolerance whatsoever for such things and... and I've begun to ramble incoherently. Good night. My apologies for any offense. But holy shit, am I sorry to hear that this happened to you. I don't know if I would have ever recovered from something like that.

I wonder if the lack of response to my story was because it got overlooked as it was the last post on page 5 before this topic continued for 30+ replies at this point.  I thought my reason for leaving the fanbase was rather extreme, but definitely different from everyone else's story for the most part. But your reaction I thought was normal. You read what happened to me and basically you are wondering how in the world could someone be so cruel, especially someone's parent doing this to their child. It definitely wasn't fair for this to happen at all. If I was you and I read the story I wrote, I would pretty much react the same way so I really understand where you are coming from.

In the end I thank you for your concern, Frogging. I really appreciate it. In your anger it shows that you are very caring about the whole thing as well as myself. It is unfortunate that this happened to me, and with consequences nevertheless. But on a positive note, I've "recovered" in the sense that I have actually returned to Sonic after being away for so long, considering that I never thought I could come back after what happened. Time has helped me to heal as well as this happened nearly 18 years ago-that is a lot of time to pass! Now as for writing fanfictions and drawing and the like again, I've recentlly had the urge to so for the first time since I was 11, so we will see where that goes, if anywhere. wink.png

Your dad's a bastard after what he done to your long earned items. i feel bad about what happened

It's okay. It's all over and done with. I've pretty much gotten over the consequences of what he did due to so much time passing by since then, even though it still hurts down to this day. I'm fine and most importantly, I am back into Sonic once again. Thank you for your concern, kimplix. That's very kind of you. smile.png

I too lost interest in Sonic for a large margin of time due to an unsupportive father and school bullies who trashed my art work and projects when they could get the chance, because I wasn't into the norm that kids my age were all raving about at the time, i grew up through high school as a depressed child and the closing years to my school life were spent in isolation, but I finally mustered courage to enter college in pursue of my art talent as my teachers and form tutor requested me to, then one time during a long lecture and debrief about one of our college projects, I doodled Sonic in the back of my notebook and before I knew it I had half the class AND the tutor all looking over my shoulder in disbelief, I immediately shot back into my love of Sonic and we spent the rest of the day reminiscing of our experiences with Sonic, including my teacher, it was glorious.

After that day I haven't really stopped supporting him or his games, even the bad ones and I ignored my father, until he came to the conclusion that I had a talent for art, after turning up at my final art showcase and was blown away by my work, I think then was when he realized how much he misjudged my simple adoration for the Blue Hedgehog, but he probably doesn't even remember that it was him who introduced me to the Blue Blur, it's quite depressingly ironic... 

I'm sorry to hear that you had an unsupportive father in regards to your interests, Soniko (I can still call you that, right?). My father was unsupportive too, only he took it way too far to show his lack of support as I mentioned in my first post on page 5 of this topic. I am also sorry to hear that you was bullied as well. I am glad that you endured through that and only did you not give up on Sonic, you didn't give up on your art work as well. As I and many others have told you, you are very talented with your art. That's a nice story as to how you got back into Sonic. You see how your awesome art works wonders? Thanks for sharing. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm gonna be blunt, i really don't give a fuck about Sonic anymore, the state of the franchise and the fandom itself anyways, the games, yeah they're excellent, i fucking loved Colors and Gens, and i'll definitely pick up the next 3D game or whatever, i enjoy the route the series is going, but i don't really care to analyze or discuss anything about Sanic really, not really much appeal for me. i'm not gonna be a impatient fuck who doesn't know how to discuss other topics or have other interests and just complains about how apparently SEGA is not releasing any new info on a new game even though we're only 2 weeks into the new year ahem, got a little ahead of myself. 

you may be asking yourself "well durr, why are you still here, gurrnrnr u are not a true fan" Well you see, you little bitch-ass, i enjoy the rather friendly community here, as well as the chit-chat and general video games subforums, i quite love a selection of the members here, i don't have to be a major fan of sanic to see that, you little dumbass, you.

so yeah, short version, kinda outgrew sonic fandom, but still enjoy the games, it's whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that 24 hours have passed since I read your story, I have been able to let it be processed in my subconscious and formulated the following reply with less blind anger and more logical analysis. The words have been painstakingly chosen with much googling and so on and so forth. I had a lot of fun writing this post for some reason. Anyway, why the hell am I writing an intro paragraph to my forum post anyway? On with it!

I wonder if the lack of response to my story was because it got overlooked as it was the last post on page 5 before this topic continued for 30+ replies at this point. I thought my reason for leaving the fanbase was rather extreme, but definitely different from everyone else's story for the most part.

Extreme? Certainly not. When you lose everything you've ever worked for, it's very very difficult to continue with it. It's happened to me, for example if I lose a saved game file that I worked really hard on, I'll probably not play it again for a very long time depending on the magnitude of the loss. Not a great analogy, but it is the best I can do smile.png

But your reaction I thought was normal. You read what happened to me and basically you are wondering how in the world could someone be so cruel, especially someone's parent doing this to their child. It definitely wasn't fair for this to happen at all. If I was you and I read the story I wrote, I would pretty much react the same way so I really understand where you are coming from.

In the end I thank you for your concern, Frogging. I really appreciate it. In your anger it shows that you are very caring about the whole thing as well as myself. It is unfortunate that this happened to me, and with consequences nevertheless.

Yes, your story infuriated me for some reason. Analysis time! I suppose it's because I know how much psychological damage this can cause. I know what it's like to be (harmlessly) obsessed with something. In fact, I function best when I have a harmless obsession of some kind that I can pursue in my free time. Here's an example; I like designing circuits and writing programs and such, but it's quite draining and in order for me to function, I have to have something else to pursue when I've used up all my mental energy on something productive and mentally intensive. Something that I like, which may not be productive but makes me happy without draining my energy.

I didn't have an obsession like this until a few months ago. Before Sonic, it was RuneScape. But that fell through when they made some changes and I quit the game. So for a year or two, I didn't really have anything I could focus on in my downtime. But now, I have Sonic.

Anyway, that's enough background about me. The point is, powerful interests are powerful and usually harmless, and give us something to live for outside of our careers and mentally intensive pursuits. Sometimes they stay with you forever, sometimes they naturally fade, and sometimes (usually) they're on-and-off balanced with other powerful interests over long time intervals (on the scale of years).

The natural ebb and flow of these interests is innocuous, and it keeps them from becoming detrimental to your life. The PROBLEM arises when they are interfered with abruptly and artificially by an external power. They've become a part of who you are and influenced your development. You cannot just rip that out of a person without damaging them. In the short term, you've removed their main source of joy and purpose (outside of their career; essentially half of their life). In the long term, you've damaged part of the foundation of who they are.

Your father destroyed all of the physical manifestation of your interest, and by doing so destroyed a part of you. We are our experiences, and our experiences are influenced by our interests. That is why it made me angry. It's destruction of a person at a fundamental level. Not to mention that he destroyed all your dreams of becoming an animator or an author.

And before anyone says "But it's only a cartoon character for fuck sake": It doesn't matter what it is (seriously, it could be anything), the point is that it has become a part of you as a result of the experiences it has brought you over a long period of time.

Well, that was very insightful, complex and took an hour to write and it probably doesn't make much sense. But hey, I enjoy analyzing life.

But on a positive note, I've "recovered" in the sense that I have actually returned to Sonic after being away for so long, considering that I never thought I could come back after what happened. Time has helped me to heal as well as this happened nearly 18 years ago-that is a lot of time to pass! Now as for writing fanfictions and drawing and the like again, I've recentlly had the urge to so for the first time since I was 11, so we will see where that goes, if anywhere. wink.png

And this, I believe, is the ultimate triumph you can over your father for doing this to you. He tried his best to forcefully and maliciously destroy your dearest interest. Well, you showed him, didn't you? I mean, here you are on the Sonic Stadium Message Boards. He couldn't totally destroy it when he had control over you and your possessions, and now he doesn't have that control anymore because you are an adult now. You can take smug pride in this fact. To quote Portal: "despite your violent behavior, the only thing you've managed to break so far, is my heart". Fight the power, I say.
----------
But I do have a few more questions:

- How was and is your relationship with your father? He was nice enough to buy you a reward for doing really well in school; what caused the sudden turn to cruel douchebaggery?

- Was there any lead-up to the event? I mean, did your father ever voice any hatred for Sonic or your interest in the character before it happened?

- What did he say after it happened, did he provide a reason, an explanation?

EDIT: One more question which popped into my head for some reason: What did your siblings think of Sonic? What did they think of what your father did, if anything?

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 4

I never really played 3 and Knuckles much; for the most part I could only play them if I was upstate. While I saw the trailer for Sonic Adventure, that didn't rekindle my interest either.

Then my brother brought home SA2. I played it for hours and loved it.

I have been the Sonic loving manchild I am ever since.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog

Funny story; Sonic 06 was the first console game I ever played and it was the game that brought me into the fandom. I was a young, mindless nine-year-old and Sonic 06 on the PS3 was my favorite game of all time.

So I became a Sonic fan. I read all about him, bought and played all the games in order from the beginning, and I watched Sonic X, Underground and SatAM like crazy.

I was a deep Sonic fan, I REALLY REALLY loved Sonic. Then after two years I played Sonic 06 again and I suddenly realized...

This is the absolute worst Sonic game ever. I'm not saying it sucks ass, there are far worse games out there. But... wow, dude. And this was the game that brought me into the fandom from the beginning? Hehe. That's why 06 has sort of a special meaning to me.

I never lost interest in Sonic, ever. Actually, over those seven years that has passed since I became a fan, my love for the franchise has only grown bigger. I don't think I'll ever lose interest in Sonic!

Yes. When I was a Kid, my Mega Drive suddenly broke. I had a choice of either having a Saturn or Playstation for Christmas, and I chose the latter. So from 1999-2002 I became a PS1 fangirl and hated Sonic's guts. Had no interest in him whatsoever and every trace of me ever liking him went out the window.  I re-bought a Mega Drive in the Summer of 2002 and, my interest in Sonic rekindled c: 

In 2009, Sonic got pushed aside yet again, and it took until last Summer for my interest to surface again. I kinda fell in love between these periods and my obsession went from Sonic, to this 1 guy. I wasn't interested in anything bar him. I still considered myself a Sonic fan between these periods, but I never really gave him much thought, nor did I collect as avidly as I used to. Anyway I finally come to my senses, kicked the guy into touch and I started focusing on Sonic again, just like I used to tongue.png

I never posted in this topic before? Really? Well shit.

I never really moved away from Sonic series. That's always what I've been known for with my closest friends. I played every single game I could get my hands on because I just love the series and its characters. They left an incredibly strong impression on me as a young child and it's carried well on into adulthood. I wouldn't have developed a passion for game design and want to pursue it as a profession if I didn't love the Sonic series.

I think between 2007 and 2008 I probably cared about the series the least (I was head over heels in love with something called a "lombax"), but if anyone remembers this forum early 2008, you'll remember all the buzz surrounding a certain leaked Sonic game trailer. A Sonic game that would later come to be known as Sonic Unleashed.

It seems crazy, but that trailer did a number on me like you wouldn't believe. I was so unbelievably excited and happy. It made me remember why I loved the series and why I had stuck with it for so long. I don't really know how else to put it.

I really fucking love Knuckles Sonic. I genuinely can not imagine life without it.

Yeah, this is how I feel now. Sonic is no longer a casual thing for me... it is a key piece of who I am.

Also lombaxes yay!

Why not have both, though?

*gags himself before he mentions a Ratchet/Sonic crossover*

*Deep analysis*

Well, that was very insightful, complex and took an hour to write and it probably doesn't make much sense. But hey, I enjoy analyzing life.

I see. Yes it was very insightful and complex, and I must say I'm very much impressed. Are you sure you are 16?! That was well done. I couldn't of said it better myself. Don't worry, it made plenty of sense.

And this, I believe, is the ultimate triumph you can over your father for doing this to you. He tried his best to forcefully and maliciously destroy your dearest interest. Well, you showed him, didn't you? I mean, here you are on the Sonic Stadium Message Boards. He couldn't totally destroy it when he had control over you and your possessions, and now he doesn't have that control anymore because you are an adult now. You can take smug pride in this fact. To quote Portal: "despite your violent behavior, the only thing you've managed to break so far, is my heart". Fight the power, I say.

Once again, you are absolutely right. I never thought of it that way, thank you! I'll be sure to remember that.

But I do have a few more questions:    

I PMed you my responses, as I thought it was kinda off topic discussing those questions and giving the answers here among other things that I thought.

And for the record:

Assuming that this that caused me to leave Sonic never occured, I could of honestly say that I would of been one of those that would of never gotten out of Sonic, no matter what happened, even during that "dark period".

Sonic Heroes is a game I'm not very fond of, yet it wouldn't be enough to cause me to ragequit on the series. If any game that could of caused me to do that, it would of been Shadow the Hedgehog, as that game totally disgusted me to put it simply. Yet, I'm a very tolerant person, not to mention I'm always willing to give a second chance to anything and anyone, usually. Sonic would be no exception to that, and that "second chance" would of been Sonic '06. Now as bad as Sonic '06 is, I find "Shadow" to be a worse game so I would of gotten over that disappointment of Sonic '06 just fine. That tolerance would of paid off for me, as the next game in the main series would be Sonic Unleashed, and that game is my favorite in the series. So staying put in the series would of worked out for me. smile.png  

I wish that the previous paragraph was my actual answer to the topic at hand, but unfortunately, it's not. It doesn't really matter at this point, as the important thing is that I have returned to Sonic and become passionate about the series once again, I'm enjoying myself amongst the fandom, and I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you haven't done so already, go read Sonikku_Kiah's story on page 5 or Like, right now. It's probably one of the most interesting stories in this thread and it deserves acknowledgement. Give it a like, and feel free to reply to it, too! It's a few pages later now but it's still very relevant so don't be afraid to reply to it now; better late than never!

I see. Yes it was very insightful and complex, and I must say I'm very much impressed. Are you sure you are 16?! That was well done. I couldn't of said it better myself. Don't worry, it made plenty of sense.

Oh good, thank you. I'm glad it made sense. And yes, I am sure that I'm 16 smile.png

Once again, you are absolutely right. I never thought of it that way, thank you! I'll be sure to remember that.

I PMed you my responses, as I thought it was kinda off topic discussing those questions and giving the answers here among other things that I thought.

And for the record:

Assuming that this  caused me to leave Sonic never occured, I could of honestly say that I would of been one of those that would of never gotten out of Sonic, no matter what happened, even during that "dark period".

Sonic Heroes is a game I'm not very fond of, yet it wouldn't be enough to cause me to ragequit on the series. If any game that could of caused me to do that, it would of been Shadow the Hedgehog, as that game totally disgusted me to put it simply. Yet, I'm a very tolerant person, not to mention I'm always willing to give a second chance to anything and anyone, usually. Sonic would be no exception to that, and that "second chance" would of been Sonic '06. Now as bad as Sonic '06 is, I find "Shadow" to be a worse game so I would of gotten over that disappointment of Sonic '06 just fine. That tolerance would of paid off for me, as the next game in the main series would be Sonic Unleashed, and that game is my favorite in the series. So staying put in the series would of worked out for me. smile.png  

I wish that the previous paragraph was my actual answer to the topic at hand, but unfortunately, it's not. It doesn't really matter at this point, as the important thing is that I have returned to Sonic and become passionate about the series once again, I'm enjoying myself amongst the fandom, and I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.

I'm not surprised to hear it, there was a handful of dedicated fans who stuck with the series through the dark ages and I have no doubt that you would have been one of them. I too wish this could have been the case instead of what really happened. And thanks for the PM, too!

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 2

Your story was very touching, Kiah. Reading up on how much you grew to love Sonic was so sweet, and then it felt like my heart stopped for a moment when your father did such a horrible thing. That is just not fine. I am happy that you are back and catching up. Sonic is such a big part of your heart. It shall live on!

I was introduced to Sonic during primary school, likely at the age of 7, as I visited a friend. We went down to his basement and started playing Sonic the Hedgehog on a really old Sega system, I have no idea, but you probably know what I am talking about. I actually never played it much, I was more the type who sat and watched. Every time he was going to play something, I wanted him to play Sonic. I really liked the game. How you collect rings, you run up and down hill, you start rolling and go uncontrollably fast.

Years later, when I had my own computer, after begging for a while, I was allowed one hour of PSTN Internet access every Saturday. This just felt totally awesome. I used it to chat to a lot of people, as I really fascinated the technology, and I also loved downloading more or less every freeware I could find. Eventually I found a Sega Genesis emulator and Sonic roms for it. I cannot actually remember finishing Sonic 1 and 2, but I am pretty sure I did. Sonic 3 is where my memory stops failing. I loved the game to bits, and the music was awesome. When searching for music online, I found The Sonic Stadium listed at the top, so I used that for my Sonic needs. After going there a few times, I wanted to "repay" the site by registering a user account on the forums and check it out.

I had a Playstation X, but there were not any Sonic games for that, I think. New games were out, and I asked if I could have a console for my birthday or Christmas so that I could play those, as well, but the answer was always no, so I just kept on playing the classics on my emulator. I still loved those games, but after replaying a game so often, you eventually just stop. My interest for Sonic slowly fell over time. I still loved to think about elements in the games, such as loops, rings, chaos emeralds and springs, but I felt I could not join in on any Sonic discussion as I was unable to play any of the games.

Many years ago, on a Summer trip with my family to Denmark and Germany, I saw Sonic Adventure DX in one of the shopping centres we usually visit. As I used to be really careful with money and only buying things after careful planning, despite really wanting it, I told myself to wait a little longer and be more careful with money, but I regret doing that and planned on buying it next Summer, as I only spent money on a game in the vacations and I never had seen Sonic games for the PC back in Norway. We went to the same shopping center, and I was looking for the game, but it was no longer there. After just browsing through other games for a while, like I usually did just to see what there is, I found a game called Sonic Heroes. I decided to buy that instead. It was my first Sonic experience in 3D, and it felt really difficult to manouver without running into walls and falling off cliffs. I found the game hard, so I never really finished it. I also got into Sonic X at one point, and I felt an addiction growing, but I never watched past the 20th episode for some reason. My interest in Sonic diminished. I bought Sonic Generations once that came out, but my laptop computer, which run Optimus technology, was unable to run it due to either Steam or Sega messing things up, and this problem persisted for well over a year, at least.

Last year, on my way home from Summer of Sonic, I was waiting for my departure back to Norway at ... Stansted, I think? I was looking in a game shop there. I found cheap copies of Sonic Classic Collection (Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles) and Sonic Colours for the DS. I figured that I had some money unspent, so I bought them. Then, at some point, Sonic Generations started working for Optimus-based laptops, so I tried playing that. It did not take long for me to notice how much I suck at Sonic games (struggling to get B and C ranks), but nonetheless, it was great fun (after a few inevitable deaths, I succeeded!) Then, some days ago, I realized that I had not played Sonic Colours yet, so I played it in bed one night. I really need to practise on these games, but it was great fun. I fell in love with the Tropical Resort music, and I remembered how awesome Sonic music really is. Right now, I feel more interested in Sonic than I have been for a very long time!

Aaand this was just another of my boring posts which are really hard to read due to me typing in a strange manner innit. Sonic is not the only thing I must practise doing.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic is not the only thing I must practise doing.

You know, that can be read in a completely different way...

As for me, I must admit my own interest in the series isn't very high at the moment, at least not for canon material. But it's not really getting out, it's just I'm focusing more on fanwork than official stuff.

How didn't I see this thread before?

>2011

Oh that's right. Busy me.

Anyways I've really lost interest in Sonic. Sure Colors and Generations came out but I had an empty feeling inside of me when I thought about Sonic. I'm really here for the community these days but I'm also hoping for a Sonic game to blow me a way.

So yeah that's me. ohmy.png

From 2005 to 2008.

Went to college, bought Sonic Heroes in my Sophomore year, played most of it, then pretty much ignored Sonic games including any handheld titles (didn't own a GBA or DS at the time) and console titles (Shadow looked awful, '06 looked awful and I didn't own an HD console, Unleashed looked awesome but again no HD console). I read the occasional news story, but didn't visit any forums or discuss the games.

It wasn't until I was out of college, and had a stable job, that I began to revisit the games I missed. I hated Shadow, thank god I dodged that bullet. But I did find the GBA and DS titles to be great. The first new Sonic game I bought after my absence from the franchise/fanbase was the PS2 version of Unleashed. Like I said, I didn't own a Wii or HD console, but was amazed that my old PS2 was getting a Sonic game, so I got it the week of release. It was pretty fun, in no way a step up from SA1 or SA2, but it did make me want to get a 360 and the HD version of the game.

Funnily enough, I went on a cruise in early 2009 and won over $300 from a slot machine (started with $20) and won $150 in a poker tournament. So after the cruise I bought a 360 and got SEGA Superstars Tennis, Unleashed and Sonic '06 in a buy 2 get 1 free sale. '06 was the free game.

So I guess you could say that Shadow the Hedgehog was the reason I left the franchise, and Unleashed was the reason I returned. 

BUMP!

I knew there was a topic like this around here somewhere...

<snip>

Goodness. I can't imagine my parents doing that to me... they've always been so supportive of my fandom... That's heartbreaking. :(

Well, even if Mom brings up how Sonic doesn't attract chicks (neither do gay men but I've yet to reveal that tidbit) and I think my family's increasingly wanting to force me to "grow up."

So I collect plushies and games and posters and stuff. That doesn't mean I'm incapable of handling finance (I handle my stock accounts fair enough I think), drive a car (I have a permit and could get a license easily if anyone remembered to take me driving to practice), etc. And I know more than enough people my age who can be easily fanatical over such things as well.

Darn parents always thinking they know everything. :P

Anyway, thanks for sharing this story; it's good to see you managed to endure. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Depending on your definition, once or twice.

The certainty was between Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island and Sonic X. After the Mega Drive, my family moved onto the Playstation, then the PS2. At some point in that, the Mega Drive and all its games were donated to charity (boy, do I regret that now). My STC collection lasted a little longer.

So yeah, out of sight, out of mind. Never had a Dreamcast, though I do recall reading one preview of Sonic Adventure, and being totally flummoxed by the sight of Big, Gamma and Chao.

The kickstarter was buying a Gamecube and Sonic Mega Collection. The nostalgia hit hard, and then my brother found the first episode of Sonic X online (subbed). These things combined led to me scouring the internet for more information on everything I missed.

Then there was news of both Sonic Heroes, and Sonic Adventure DX. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was already out, so I rented the Adventures in chronological order, in preparation for Heroes. After acing Heroes, I would buy the Adventures...and then Shadow.

Partly due to Shadow, partly due to being a late adopter of the next generation and definitely due to critical reception, I didn't get a new Sonic game until Sonic Colours. Soon after I picked up Sonic Rush Adventure and Sonic 4: Episode 1. I was back, baby!

Throughout this whole second period, I kept track of everything though. Been a member here since 2004, and kept logging on every day. Hence, this second "lapse" might not count.

I only ever really fell out of Sonic these past couple of years following Unleashed. I wasn't really playing any games for a while. I still picked up the comics to have them and am still catching up. Then I heard about Generations and couldn't wait to play it but I wouldn't really have the money for another year. All I really missed was Rush Adventure (and I've always been behind on the handhelds), Black Knight, Free Riders, the Sega All-Stars game and Colors, and technically I played Black Knight. I'll get around to Colors eventually but for right now it's just good to be back.