Awoo.

Fastest Feeling Sonic Game?

Surge

Overall, Sonic Unleashed. I love that when you boost, the music changes/warps to make it sound like you're going even faster.

But the fastest-feeling classic game would be Sonic CD. Knowing that you're running fast enough to travel through freaking time kind of helps that fact.

And I'd say the fastest handheld game is Sonic Rush.

I know it's really not the fastest, but every time I play Chemical Plant and run or roll off the screen, always makes me feel like I'm breaking the law! It's so satisfying!! So, I'm going to say Sonic 2 just for those couple of moments you can do that.

You can also pull it off in Carnival Night Zone of Sonic 3 with a flame shield and the unique boosters in that stage.

You can also pull it off in Carnival Night Zone of Sonic 3 with a flame shield and the unique boosters in that stage.

How have I never tried this!?

Sonic & The Secret Rings is BY FAR the fastest Sonic game ever made. Once Sonic reaches a high level, he runs incredibly fast, and his "speed break" ability is actually a lot faster than the boost ability used in Generations and Unleashed.

If you don't believe me, watch this speed run:

And here's how fast he runs without any power ups:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this game yet. Not only is it the fastest Sonic game, but it's one of the fastest games in history.

Edited by BlondeHedgehog

Sonic & The Secret Rings is BY FAR the fastest Sonic game ever made. Once Sonic reaches a high level, he runs incredibly fast, and his "speed break" ability is actually a lot faster than his boost ability used in Generations and Unleashed.

If you don't believe me, watch this speed run:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this game yet. Not only is it the fastest Sonic game, but it's one of the fastest games in history.

Unleashed is still the fastest Sonic game due to having various ways to exploit the physics but Secret Rings does come close. However, I do think that Secret Rings gives you a greater sensation of speed since the camera in S&tSR is closer to Sonic and the level design constantly keeps you on your toes (or maybe it's just the controls...) Though you do have to unlock the crest of wind to experience any of that. And I love how Secret Rings expanded the moveset with moves like splash jump which can be used to skip a lot of stuff if used properly.

Edited by Prownage

Unleashed is still the fastest Sonic game due to having various ways to exploit the physics but Secret Rings does come close. However, I do think that Secret Rings gives you a greater sensation of speed since the camera in S&tSR is closer to Sonic and the level design constantly keeps you on your toes (or maybe it's just the controls...) Though you do have to unlock the crest of wind to experience any of that. And I love how Secret Rings expanded the moveset with moves like splash jump which can be used to skip a lot of stuff if used properly.

Agreed. Secret Rings is a lot of fun, and you definitely get more of a sensation of speed and movement. Although I still think the "speed break" ability is the fastest power-up in any Sonic game to date (even trumping the "laser" Wisp ability in Colours, which is insanely fast). .

I have to say, Sonic & The Secret Rings just doesn't get enough credit, in my opinion. Reviewers like IGN and Gamespot claimed that it had control issues, but the truth is there's nothing wrong with the controls at all, they're actually very precise - it's just that the game is very challenging and you must have very quick reactions or you'll mess up, and people confuse this with control issues.

In short, Secret Rings is very frustrating if you're bad at it, but extremely rewarding (and fun) if you're good at it. A lot of reviewers simply didn't take the time to practice getting good at it, so they gave it a bad score. This really annoyed me, because it's not the game's fault that they suck at it. It's a very underrated game.

(Sorry, I'm babbling).

Edited by BlondeHedgehog

Agreed. Secret Rings is a lot of fun, you definitely get more of a sensation of speed and movement. The game just doesn't get enough credit. Reviewers like IGN and Gamespot claimed that it had control issues, but the truth is there's nothing wrong with the controls at all, they're actually very precise - it's just that the game is very challenging and you must have very quick reactions or you'll mess up, and people confuse this with control issues.

In short, Secret Rings is very frustrating if you're bad at it, but extremely rewarding (and fun) if you're good at it. A lot of reviewers simply didn't take the time to practice getting good at it, so they gave it a bad score. This really annoyed me, because it's not the game's fault that they suck at it. It's a very underrated game.

(Sorry, I'm babbling).

Nope, the controls definitely were flawed. I've played the game a lot and the controls still feel somewhat unpredictable at times. But the problem isn't so much the controls as it is the absolutely ridiculous idea of having to unlock skills in order to make moving from left to right easier. Such an obvious thing should be available right from the start but you literally have to earn decent controls by playing the game. I can understand the idea of unlocking faster running speed because that gives you time to get used to the controls and levels but limiting the most basic of all movements is just stupid.

However, once you unlock smoother controls and more moves the game becomes quite fun to play. The reviewers just probably didn't have the patience or time to play it that far and just reviewed the game based on their first playthorugh of it. And understandably their first impression on the game wasn't that great because they didn't unlock enough skills to make Sonic control properly.

Nope, the controls definitely were flawed. I've played the game a lot and the controls still feel somewhat unpredictable at times. But the problem isn't so much the controls as it is the absolutely ridiculous idea of having to unlock skills in order to make moving from left to right easier. Such an obvious thing should be available right from the start but you literally have to earn decent controls by playing the game. I can understand the idea of unlocking faster running speed because that gives you time to get used to the controls and levels but limiting the most basic of all movements is just stupid.

However, once you unlock smoother controls and more moves the game becomes quite fun to play. The reviewers just probably didn't have the patience or time to play it that far and just reviewed the game based on their first playthorugh of it. And understandably their first impression on the game wasn't that great because they didn't unlock enough skills to make Sonic control properly.

I never had any problem with the controls; always found them to be perfectly responsive and sharp. Once you unlock the skills it increases your ability to side-step faster, move quicker, etc., but I never found the controls to be an issue. In a sense, it's one of the easiest Sonic games to play, simply because Sonic moves automatically and all you have to do is steer him left and right, flick the Wii remote for a homing attack, turn it towards you to go backwards, etc. I suppose for some people it takes some getting used to, but I personally thought the controls were great. To each his own, I guess..

• 11 months later...

Unleashed. No question. There's so many rings to collect that you rarely run out of your boost meter. OH, Advance 2 is pretty fast too.

Edited by SonicDude

If you're going to bump an 11 month-old thread, it would significantly help if you elaborated on your opinion. xP

I haven't played Rush or Secret Rings, so in terms of 2D Sonic games, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Advance 2. Unleashed is clearly the fastest 3D Sonic game, the Boost meter can be upgraded to go on for a long time, there's more rings to collect, and you're obviously breaking the sound barrier and breaking everything in your way.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the fastest Sonic Games are Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Adventure. The grinding and fast paced gameplay was so entertaining and I am so glad that most of those concepts carried over in other Sonic Games. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think Sonic Generations was the fastest 3-d and Sonic 4 2  and Sonic Rush was the fastest 2-d games.

When it comes to the Megadrive era, Sonic 2 felt the fastest. There were times when it felt as if the camera struggled to keep up with Sonic.

Sonic Rush was also very fast. There were couple of times when I couldn't keep up with Sonic and wasn't sure where he was.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Unleashed, hands down. The worlds were vast and expansive, having been made just for that game (rather than borrowed from past games, as in Generations), and yet Sonic was still able to tear through them like paper. The only thing that could really slow him down were obstacles that he was moving too fast to avoid. The speedruns on some of those stages... goodness!