Awoo.

What are your favorite Sonic couples?

Unknown User

Here's an idea, maybe Amy finally realizes that Sonic just isn't ready to settle down just yet, obviously she's gonna wait for him but she'll try actually being friends with the guy first, and actually try to help him out when he needs it. Sonic realizes how useful and friendly she is when she isn't acting like a lovesick fangirl, and the two gradually become closer,all without forgetting about Amy's crush on him, and it can at least be implied Sonic likes her back. There, see how simple that is.

Well, that's the way you can make Sonic and Amy work in a romantic dinamic, it's not unrealistic as it's out of character for Sonic to refuse friendship, at least from what I can tell.

but making Amy realising that she is not Sonic's girlfriend, automatically takes her out of character, because she is literally the "self proclaimed girlfriend", what makes her the crazyest of the characters next to eggman.

what makes her the crazyest of the characters next to eggman.

Because none of the rest of this cast are thieves, murderers, brigands, etc. Amy's pretty high up on the sanity scale, she just REALLY likes Sonic.

but making Amy realising that she is not Sonic's girlfriend, automatically takes her out of character, because she is literally the "self proclaimed girlfriend", what makes her the crazyest of the characters next to eggman.

Because this has totally benefited her character in the past years it's been used..

Despite what Sonic Heroes and Sonic Battle would have you believe, while she may have a huge crush on Sonic, she ain't full-blown insane.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I am trying to say is that Amy's crazyness, big like in Heroes or small like in Unleashed is what "drives" Sonic away and prevents a genuine romantic dinamics from being built between the characters.

the moment Amy stops being crazy, so Sonic can start to be closer from her, he loses the reason to run from her, therefore, characters, interaction dinamics and relationships portraits change.

I'm not saying that it would be bad, what I am saying is that IF you need to change the characters out of their stabilished traits, and interaction dinamics in order to create romantic chemistry and therefor make the pairing work, it's because the pairing doesn't work at all.

I'm not saying it's bad, i'm just saying it's kind of out of character.

What I am trying to say is that Amy's crazyness, big like in Heroes or small like in Unleashed is what "drives" Sonic away and prevents a genuine romantic dinamics from being built between the characters.

Drove him right into her panties asking her out. :V

Drove him right into her panties asking her out. :V

except not, because Amy is the one who asks Sonic out.

Characters behaving in-character

(therefore my point still stands =V)

except not, because Amy is the one who asks Sonic out.

Characters behaving in-character

(therefore my point still stands =V)

You got me there.

But he still went out with her because he's a horny little bastard.

Considering her current (at times, rather repugnant) characterization, I'd honestly say that change would be for the better.

• Thumbs Up 1

the moment Amy stops being crazy, so Sonic can start to be closer from her, he loses the reason to run from her, therefore, characters, interaction dinamics and relationships portraits change.

I'm not saying that it would be bad, what I am saying is that IF you need to change the characters out of their stabilished traits, and interaction dinamics in order to create romantic chemistry and therefor make the pairing work, it's because the pairing doesn't work at all.

I'm not saying it's bad, i'm just saying it's kind of out of character.

Or ya know, Character Development, a think that's a GOOD thing.

Seriously, Amy's craziness has done nothing for her character, it's given her a terrible reputation, and I think it needs to die, I don't care if it's "Out of Character" especially when it's come beneficial for her, and I don't think we need to limit ourselves of what to do with the characters. Unless Amy completely moves on from Sonic, you can basically do anything with her.

Considering her current (at times, rather repugnant) characterization, I'd honestly say that change would be for the better.

yeah, but now let me explain something.

Amy's stereotype is very popular among japanese demographics.

as I've said in another post, Amy's character archetype doesn't translate very well in english, that's why se comes across as annoying for us, but its perfectly accetable for them.

Amy and her unrequited crush for Sonic is supossed to be cute, not annoying.

Amy will not change, it's their status quo, it's aimed at them, if you change Amy to be more like the western standard of a female lead which is level headed, competent, plays the love tropes straight and such (which is exaclty what Blaze seems to follow) Amy loses her appeal for the demographics she was made to cater, get it?

Amy is hyper, energetic, crazy, positive and violent, and has an unrequited crush on Sonic and that's exactly what she is suposed to be and they like her, it's not bad writing, it's values dissonance.

that's why Amy won't change, because there is nothing wrong with her character or the way she interacts with Sonic.

Amy is not annoying, she is just mistranslated.

Fuck.

Japan.

Not sure why we have to suffer for the dumbass things they like.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could have fooled me.

• Thumbs Up 5

I get that Amy's an archetype that's not really popular in the west.

But I think she's kind of shit at it regardless.

• Thumbs Up 6

This is relevant because.....??

as I've said in another post, Amy's character archetype doesn't translate very well in english, that's why se comes across as annoying for us, but its perfectly accetable for them

Well considering we're Americans this has no relevance so...

Except it's not, and it is annoying.

Amy will not change, it's their status quo, it's aimed at them, if you change Amy to be more like the western standard of a female lead which is level headed, competent, plays the love tropes straight and such (which is exaclty what Blaze seems to follow) Amy loses her appeal for the demographics she was made to cater, get it?

No, I don't get it, why the fuck do we need to cater to the Japanese? Not only is Sonic less popular over there, it's done NOTHING for her character, I don't give a shit what they find "Kawaii" or other shit, I care about having a character who can actually contribute something to the series beyond a stupid stereotype, and I don't know why you're actually trying to defend her character under for such a stupid reason.

Amy is hyper, energetic, crazy, positive and violent, and has an unrequited crush on Sonic and that's exactly what she is suposed to be and they like her, it's not bad writing, it's values dissonance.

It IS bad writing when her character has gone nowhere, and completely reduced to that stereotype alone.

that's why Amy won't change, because there is nothing wrong with her character or the way she interacts with Sonic.

Oh yes there is.

Amy is not annoying, she is just mistranslated.

Ok, having watched a lot of anime, and being a general fan of it, I can safely say she's failing at what she's trying to be, badly. So yeah, I think a change is in order. And this is coming a from a guy who loves shit like Tsunderes, Moe, Bishonen and all that other shit.

I don't like Blaze because she appeals to Westerners, I like Blaze because she's a damn good character, which has nothing to do with where she's from. Even if Amy is a more Eastern character, I still think it's shit regardless, and it has nothing to do with being from the east.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 4

No, I don't get it, why the fuck do we need to cater to the Japanese?
Let's be fair, this is a Japanese series when you get right down to it.

But nobody in fucking Japan even likes Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 8

One that sells infinitely better in America. :V

~MINDLINK~

Edited by Sexy n' Smooth Wario

It's not about where it originally comes from.

It's about characters that are actually likable.

When you've got a series run by Japanese dudes, it's no surprise when it's handled with Japanese sensibilities.

While that is true, and I understand they'll use eastern stereotypes, they can at least write them so the characters are actually likable, and have room for growth. Plus, like Wario said, the series sells a lot better in the west.

It's like they looked at every top Shonen anime out there, ripped the stereotypes from there, slapped them on the cast, and called it a day.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

It's not about where it originally comes from.

It's about characters that are actually likable.

but Amy IS likeable THERE!

Just ask SMS Skull Leader!