Awoo.

Character costume redesigns

Milo

I think white Jeans would look good on Amy. Oh and I'd like for her hammer to have the ability to transform into a battle axe whenever she likes. But other than that the characters are fine the way they are.

Edited by Johnny Boy

In terms of who NEEDS redesigning? Ah, nobody I guess.

In terms of what design choices you'd personally make? Well;

-I agree with whoever wanted to give Big a fishing hat, and I'd possibly throw in a fishing vest too. I think it'd look charming on him, not to mention it'd be practical for his hobby.

-I always see people giving the reptiles fingerless gloves for reasons that I can't fathom. Regardless, I do like the look, so I'd do that.

-As Silva Rymes can attesh to with the 20th Anniversary Collab, I imagine Charmy to be the messenger boy of the Chaotix, fetching and sending out items of interest. As such, I like to draw him with a brown courier bag, slightly oversized compared to his body.

...That's about it off the top of my head.

I agree with the general view here that Amy's skirt could use a redo, just something like:

amyskirt.png

If it was loose and had floaty physics it'd be pretty attractive looking during gameplay, and because it hugs her... well, Sonic characters don't really have bums but still, it'd actually reduce panty-shots.

ALTHOUGH I say this, there is still something appealing about her current skirt-design from a sillouhette point of view.

Edited by JezMM

I don't think any character needs a permanent redesign, really. I'm content with the occasional one. But I would like to see different hair accessories, just cuz I really want to see Amy in a ponytail damn it.

Sorta kinda like this.

16268733_m.jpg

Sally Acorn. She needs shirt and pants, or something besides that vest. It's really weird seeing all the other female characters, and they're wearing some sort of clothing. Then you see Sally, who's female, but she's not wearing clothes (vest doesn't count!)

Y'know, I've been noticing that fan artists like to give Sally a white leotard if they feel like giving her clothes. I have yet to decide if it's better or worse.

All Sally needs to do is to button up her vest.

But quite frankly, she needs thigh-high boots. That'll bring her a Japanese fanbase.

LOL. Although the fetish of zettai ryouiki is not just the thigh highs, but rather the area in between the thigh highs and a skirt/short (something that Sally doesn't have.), I see what you mean. XD

And if you don't mind, I took a whack at this. Although my efforts to make it look presentable was 0%, you're just supposed to get an idea on how it would look. (Dat hand.)

salleh.png

Buttons optional.

Edited by KCG

I've said it before on the Sega Forums but I wish they'd give Amy some pants. Or shorts. Either one is fine. And Tails could have a backpack with his logo on it.

Edited by Torcano

Just one thing about Rouge's current design irks me, take a guess as to what:

*ROUGE*

No idea. That's her Riders design, so it only appears in those games (and as a costume in Rivals 2). Maybe, the colour of her torso? She seems to be coloured like Sonic.

Hold on, did you edit that image? She was always established to basically only have fur on the head.

Anyways, I like Amy's dress- as said, when combined with her boots it makes for a pretty great sillhouette. However, I'd like for some pantyhose or something like that Winter Olympics outfit.

mswo-amy.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, we really don't need them. But just because we don't need them doesn't mean we can't have them.

I kinda like the idea of giving characters a bit of a new flare to their designs, while still being the character's we know them for. I've always pictured Sonic wearing some cool clothing that suited him in color and flare. And I've had thoughts of giving Amy a new dress or some other new clothing.

If they want, they could make the clothing and other forms of fashion optional to wear. You can go the original look, or you can customize it yourself. How that would fare out overall is really anyone's guess.

Just one thing about Rouge's current design irks me, take a guess as to what:

RougeSRF1.png?t=1296350602

• Thumbs Up 4

Also, Omega needs a bobby police hat. And perhaps a tie would suit Shadow. A bowtie, obviously.

In all honesty though, I always imagined Tails to have a sort of black shirt/blue jacket/blue trousers combo... no idea why. Just thought something like that would look smart on him. Eh.

Hold on, did you edit that image? She was always established to basically only have fur on the head.

Yup, hate that they decided to design her that close to being human instead of anywhere near being a Sonic character; thus I use edited renders instead.

I kind of hate the idea of male, non-human Sonic characters wearing clothes beyond their shoes, gloves and the occasional accessory. It needlessly complicates their design and always feels like a cheap way of making them stand out. Same with with hair. It's used very sparingly, and usually just blends in with the rest of a characters head (like with Rouge and Marine). For the most part, I love each characters design.

There is one this I'd change about Espio though. Much as I love his design, his purple shoes irk me. Too purple going on with him. His shoes should be a dark green instead, like they were in his classic design. And for lulz, Knuckles and Rouge should totally sport their Eggman and Lara Croft outfits again sometime.

Eggman in nothing but rollerskates

i_came_cat.jpg

I'm personally really happy with how the characters look, though after Generations, I wouldn't mind them "refreshing" some of the clothed characters, like what they did with Amy when she made the jump to 3D. Give her, Cream, and Rouge some new digs, just so they don't seem like they've been wearing the same outfits for 10 years. Plus... Rouge could do without the bat midriff.

Also, while I personally like Eggman's current design, maybe that could be updated a bit, too? I know this is a bit much, but the general idea of this pic is pretty cool, I think..

Doctor_Robotnik_by_jollyjack.jpg

Still, if nothing changed, I wouldn't mind either, it's not all that big of a deal to me. Besides, the entire cast, post Sonic 2006, seems like they've been resized to return to their less slender, more chunky character designs, perhaps as a subtle nod to a return to form, which definitely pleases me.

Edited by EXshad

I've been debating whether I should start a topic on a subject that is kinda related to this, but I'll just leave some thoughts here.

I've read about what some people have said in the thread, which leads me to ask why some of the female characters need more clothing on them? (I'm not talking about different clothing designs, but things like the character basically begin covered by clothing)

There seems to be two design philosophies when designing characters in the series: one gender has clothes, and the other doesn't. Basically all of the male characters are naked, and all of the female characters are clothed in some way( Well, off the top of my head, only Charmy and Eggman are the only ones who have clothing, but we're all grateful for that later). I understand that some character designs are needed because it can be easy to misinterpret a characters gender because of lack of "gender detail," but I'm still bewildered.

I'm not going to say anything about her character, but I've been wondering why we haven't gotten character designs "like" Sally who has also been naked. While I dislike acknowledging a hive-mind mentality, I bet most of you have also seen people complain about Sally's design just because she is naked, and needs to be fully dressed like the others; so I don't understand why part of this fanbase partakes in this sexist thought, as this "subconsciously" segregates the two genders, and leads to a "bad" kind of contrast in design overall.

I realize that the Sonic series isn't the only one that has to deal with this subject (maybe there are some background reasons of why they were designed this way, but I haven't seen anything),but I felt like mentioning it.

they all need to be clotheless, furless, and have necks

Serious or not? The female character wearing clothes is a good touch I'll always enjoy, and necks are horrible on Sonic characters. Unless you give them human proportions (like Vanilla) then they look like bobble heads. And giving them human proportions make them look awful.

I'm not going to say anything about her character, but I've been wondering why we haven't gotten character designs "like" Sally who has also been naked. While I dislike acknowledging a hive-mind mentality, I bet most of you have also seen people complain about Sally's design just because she is naked, and needs to be fully dressed like the others; so I don't understand why part of this fanbase partakes in this sexist thought, as this "subconsciously" segregates the two genders, and leads to a "bad" kind of contrast in design overall.

That's really over thinking it. Clothes and fashion are generally more important to girls than boys. It's something that often goes into design- girls having more elaborate clothing than guy. And more over it's covering up their chest area. If female Sonic characters are going to be shaped this way, they should be covered up too. At their heart Sonic designs are very simple rubber hose designs, and they're animals. No need to complicate designed further than necessary.

Edited by Blue Blood

Serious or not? The female character wearing clothes is a good touch I'll always enjoy, and necks are horrible on Sonic characters. Unless you give them human proportions (like Vanilla) then they look like bobble heads. And giving them human proportions make them look awful.

...He was clearly kidding.

Sonic games should have an item shop and a dressing room where you add as many accessories as you want to the characters.

So the idea of Dr. Eggman running around in stages with a Nerf gun in only a pair of boyshorts with SOY BOMB written across his chest in Sharpie can finally become canon.

My lifelong dream has finally been accomplished.

That's really over thinking it. Clothes and fashion are generally more important to girls than boys. It's something that often goes into design- girls having more elaborate clothing than guy. And more over it's covering up their chest area. If female Sonic characters are going to be shaped this way, they should be covered up too. At their heart Sonic designs are very simple rubber hose designs, and they're animals. No need to complicate designed further than necessary.

I probably am over thinking it, just haven't seen much talk about the subject, so thanks for the differing opinion.

While on the subject on costumes, I know I shouldn't expect people to know obscure stuff, but if Sonic-man were to ever come back, I hope his costume ( or more costumes the better) is based around this guy from the end of Michael Jackson's Bad.

sonic_bad.png

That would be awesome.

I probably am over thinking it, just haven't seen much talk about the subject, so thanks for the differing opinion.

While on the subject on costumes, I know I shouldn't expect people to know obscure stuff, but if Sonic-man were to ever come back, I hope his costume ( or more costumes the better) is based around this guy from the end of Michael Jackson's Bad.

sonic_bad.png

That would be awesome.

If that was the case, then Sonic-man would have trollerskates. trollface.png

Anyways, I like Amy's dress- as said, when combined with her boots it makes for a pretty great sillhouette. However, I'd like for some pantyhose or something like that Winter Olympics outfit.

mswo-amy.jpg

i'm pretty much in agreement. There is really nothing you can do with male characters besides shoes and gloves. And Amy Rose's winter outfit is the closest thing I could think of to what I'd like to wear. If not long pants then her shorts from the first Olympics game. That way you can't see them all the time but if she gets knocked back or she's jumping you don't get the awkward panty shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup, hate that they decided to design her that close to being human instead of anywhere near being a Sonic character; thus I use edited renders instead.

Funny thing, it actually irks me when when people draw Amy with a tan colored stomach similar to Sonic, considering her body is supposed to be completely pink.

Well, considering that Sonic is heavily influenced by western cartoons I suppose it was natural for them to make the females wear clothes. Personally character designs like Sally (when done right, not the one with human-like proportions and defined features) do not botter me, however I think that the clothes in the girls really add to them, especially if they come as sublte representations of their personalities. (IMO Amy's current design is the one that has the most attention in this area, like her two rings, the head band, the color of her dress, all those things have a reason to be)

Edited by Skull Leader