Awoo.

Do you like the way the Sonic games are currently going?

thedarkknight

I still watch and talk about my pre-school childhood shows online and i'm 24.Nostalgia is very powerful :)

Just like we as kids made Sonic what it is today the kids of today are gonna be the ones that pick up where left off.

We do just not as much as the kids.Mario has always been marketed at kids because Nintendo knows that the franchise appeals to kids more than any other demographic.

Yes, all the effort that goes into the graphics, level design, controls, and gimmicks in Mario games are for the kids, they are not in anyway trying to appeal to the fans.

Do you.... Listen to anything that Nintendo's PR says?

• Thumbs Up 1

Story and character development wise? Could use much more depth, and less jokes aimed at small children; more jokes aimed at all ages.

Gameplay? If City Escape's layout is anything to go by, this is the best Sonic's been in 3D since... ever. Now make Sonic roll instead of slide and we have a winner / standard setter. From there, let the series continue to expand with more unique features and gameplay gimmicks that improve and add onto what's currently being laid out in Generations, and also introduce more open usage of other characters than Sonic. If Sonic games can follow this trend, then the franchise is looking at a bright future.

• Thumbs Up 5

I just want an entire game with the atmosphere of the first half of Unleashed's opening.

Action packed, but not too dark.

...dewd. *-*

I dunno why it has to be all the way to either extreme.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have to agree with Inferno on this one, as well. Sonic could definitely use more epic in his series, just like that opening. Settings more like that throughout the entirety of games would be heavenly, I must say. Generations is showing promising stature for that as well, so that idea isn't implausible, either.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 1

Same here. That opening was wonderful. You can be epic without being grimdark, and you can be fun without being ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope Generations starts off similar to Unleashed, Sonic and Co. are assaulting Eggman's latest scheme and they're being Badss, but then the time hole come and suck them in, yeah...I'd like that.

But guys to people like Darkfox and PPPPP, Sonic can't do anything epic or cool without going grimdark,I love single mindedness.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

But guys to people like Darkfox and PPPPP, Sonic can't do anything epic or cool without going grimdark,I love single mindedness.

I never said that I wanted Sonic to be grimdark. I just don't want every Sonic game to have a lame kiddy story.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hope Generations starts off similar to Unleashed, Sonic and Co. are assaulting Eggman's latest scheme and they're being Badss, but then the time hole come and suck them in, yeah...I'd like that.

C'mon man, you're better than that.

Anyway, yeah, I agree that would be epic. Of course, it'd only please all the turds who say "DURRRRR, Sawnikz friendz shuld be killed off! lolololololololololololololol!"

see what I did there?

Not cool, bro. Did they even say they wanted it dark? :/

Edited by SuperClassic

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Basically, my opinion has to be the same as everyone else's to avoid neg rep. Alright.

Sonic Colours was just too light and childish in my opinion, full of lame jokes and the story was far too light. Though the game seems to be aimed at the younger crowd, so I can't really complain. From what I've heard, Sonic Generations storyline is in the middle, so I'm looking forward to that one.

Edited by Jetbounty
  • Thumbs Up 4

I never said that I wanted Sonic to be grimdark. I just don't want every Sonic game to have a lame kiddy story.

Only ONE game had a lame kiddy story, and that was Colors, are seriously trying to tell me Unleashed of all games is a kiddy story, ya know the same game that had

to 00:20) really?

I thought Sonic did a lot of cool stuff in Colors.He made me laugh,he saved a whole race of aliens and he even saved Tails at the cost of his own life(Until he was saved by the wisps).

To me that's enough.

Also,my username has 4 letters not 5 :P

Dude, did you not see the opening to Unleashed? Anything he did in Colors is quickly nullified by that one scene.

Ok maybe I went a little too far, but it doesn't change the fact that: Sonic doesn't need to be light and raibows or Dark and angsty to be good.

• Thumbs Up 1

The games are becoming more lighter and childish over the time.

Well it IS a series marketed towards kids.

PS I know i screwed up the quote system.

Edited by SuperKing

From what I've heard, Sonic Generations storyline is in the middle, so I'm looking forward to that one.

Speaking of, I think it would be pretty cool if the game's tone shifted relative to each era.

No.

I LOVE the way things are going. This new gameplay style isn't a "platformer", it's "Sonic". There's absolutely nothing else like it and I definitely appreciate that. I also think the general tone and style of SA2, Shadow, and 06 sucks total ass and needs to stay dead.

Do improvements need to be made? Yes. Do they look like they're being made? Yes. I really hope Sonic Team stays like this and doesn't suddenly decide to be total idiots again.

Best Post Ever. I Agree with this 100%

*Taken from another thread*

My standards are pretty basic.

1. A to B Goal (like most platformers)

2. Speed

3. Platforming that challenges the speed I'm trying to maintain and meshes well with it. Colors was waaaaay to Mario and Megaman like. Unleashed did this a lot better despite platforming being less. (Boost should have at least some thought put into it if its present and should be something I can take advantage of. Though I like Sonic for speed I understand without platforming that that speed cannot be challenged...I'm not an mindless idiot.)

5. Physics (Well made mind you... heavier jump...and stuff like that I can adjust too as long as the level design has whatever physics in mind)

6: Controls that compliment those physics (If I press the jump button it should always work...no lag..blah blah)

7: Level design that compliments the physics and controls. As well as Gimmicks that enhance the core gameplay.

8: Varied challenge (alternate routes and I can't believe people actually thought Colors was hard in anyway...it being SO EASY is part of the reason why I don't like it as much as I wanted too)

9: Some room to smell the roses and admire the scenery. Some hidden goodies here in there that I would barely notice if I didn't stop. Some backtracking if I want too. (and no its doesn't need to be at the same level as the classics, I'm a speed runner.)

10: A sense of Control. Automation was always present in someway since the beginning as long as these automated segments are few. What I consider automation is like that running segment in the End of Angel Island, the end of Sky Sanctuary heading up to the death Egg, running down the side of a building in City Escape/Final Rush. Stuff where I can legit put the controller down and not die in anyway will bother me if there way too much of it for long periods of time and if its going to be there make its exciting with some control sense (Modern City Escape Gun Truck Chase) that I won't mind doing it again and again and if preformed correctly will simply improve my time.

Rail Grinding is cool too as long as it feels like its part of the level or if I can interact with other parts of the level segment ala jump of rail to certain platform or other rail set. Example would be in stuff like in Final Rush or Sky Scraper Scamper. All grinding in Colors sucked.

However that is done I am fine with quite frankly as long as its done well and I'm a complete avid believer that Sonic doesn't need to play like he does in the Classics to the tee in 2D or 3D to be able to surpass them (Metriod comes to mind). Generations City Escape was a bit of an eye opener because I realized that it trumped everything that City Escape was...in every aspect. (except maybe grinding, but still haven't seen the whole stage yet.)

A Classic is made when a devlopment team does everything right to its maximum potential. I will be more impressed when New Slightly Compenet Sonic Team masters Modern Gameplay then it delve back completely to its classic roots.

I could give a shit if the physics are like the classics...if EVERYTHING else sucks it doesn't matter. Even a game with Classic physics can be as bad as 2006 if nothing else is done properly.

These are my standards. Have they been realized in every possible way recently? No, but they are sure getting there...slowly.

So far lately since Unleashed I'm enjoying the main games and they have improve with every title thus far. As long as they keep improving Sonic Team won't get shit from me until they reach perfection, but as soon as they start dipping to 2006 quality...I will rain hell.

Edited by Voyant

Dude, did you not see the opening to Unleashed? Anything he did in Colors is quickly nullified by that one scene.

I think caring for others is way more cool then being athletic or able to kick people's butts. That's why i prefer Colors,because Unleashed's opening was clearly trying to be cool while Sonic risking his life in Colors for his best friend was cool without it being in-your-face cool.

This is Cars 2's reception all over again: You have to throw mature/cool moments in people's faces,cause if you try to be subtle about it,people accuse your story of being childish <_<

Edited by pppp

Forget that particular moment where Sonic shoves Tails in the elevator. What exactly is "subtle" about Colors' narrative as a whole?

Forget that particular moment where Sonic shoves Tails in the elevator. What exactly is "subtle" about Colors' narrative as a whole?

You simply have no soul...

Just Joking

Edited by Voyant

Because The mature side of the story is not obvious(Just because there isn't a moment fully dedicated to the mass murder of an Alien race it doesn't mean it's not happening).

It's like with Cars 2: people want in-you-face sad moments like TS3's ending instead of paying attention and finding the heart of the story for themselves :P

To be honest, I like the general direction that the series is going, but I don't know really know what exactly it is. I don't really know what I want from the series at this point, because just SO MANY THINGS have went on in what I consider a short period of time. Like, the series itself doesn't know its own direction. One minute its story is.... I dont' know, serious (2006), then not-so serious but still kind of there (Unleashed), then super kiddy (Colors). Then in gameplay you have the kind of Sonic that's truly an embodiment of a hurricane's wind (Unleashed, damn he was fast) with SUUUUPER quick gameplay that mainly tested your reflexes, and then you have a slower game, much slower, but a lot more involvement in terms of platforming (Colors). I mean, really, I just don't know what I want. I'm pretty easy to please, and I enjoyed Colors just about as much as I enjoyed Unleashed, but its just do hard for me to choose anything with all this, haha. And I don't think you can choose both, for example, the 2D in Unleashed was tons and TONS different than the 2D in colors. I would like a mixture of both but I just picture it being so damn hard to do.

In terms of gameplay, again, I think they're starting to get it right. The only thing I can ask for, really, is a lot more platforming in the 3D sections and perhaps a little less in the 2D, because I don't feel as involved in the 3D sections at allof Colors as I did in the 2D. Then again, remember, *sigh* I don't know what I want.

Edited by Melru

Because The mature side of the story is not obvious(Just because there isn't a moment fully dedicated to the mass murder of an Alien race it doesn't mean it's not happening).

It's like with Cars 2: people want in-you-face sad moments like TS3's ending instead of paying attention and finding the heart of the story for themselves :P

I always thought Samurai Jack was a great tone for Sonic...with a little less violence of course XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jgDEmW9nlU

Not too serious, Epic, Jokes, Atmosphere....its all there. I could easily see a Sonicified version of the shows tone.

Eggman reminds me a lot of Aku because although he is dangerous he not without his goofiness. He not look out to destroy the world, but to take over it in his own image.

Edited by Voyant

"Story wise not really, too childish for me and corny jokes kinda ruin it."

To be fair every Sonic game is in some way childish. Even Shadow the Hedgehog was partially aimed at a young audience. The majority of Sonic's regular buyers is actually probably kids. More or less so compared to the old school fanboys who stuck with the franchise (like many of you).

As for the jokes, I don't think they're that bad anymore. The main problem is how they're handled. With Ryan as a voice actor it just felt really akward whenever a joke was told, like it was being forced on you and shoving it down your throat. With Roger as the new voice actor it feels less forced and thus a bit more humorous. Not to mention I think the actual conversations amongst the characters itself has gotten better. It could use work, but hey, it's a start at least.

Well for me the last couple games were a little too childish for my taste, Shadow the Hedgehog may have been aimed at a younger audience,

but not for kids 9 or younger like colors. I think the majority of sonics regular buyers are usually around their teens but I'm not

really sure. I like some lighthearted stories here and there but I would rather it not lean that way the majority of the time.