Awoo.

Do you like the way the Sonic games are currently going?

thedarkknight

Shadow the Hedgehog may have been aimed at a younger audience,

I don't think Shadow's game was the best choice to use. At all.

Personally I'm totally okay with the Uneleashed/Colours(/Generations?) tone, so I'm happy enough.

Um...Yes?

If you and others think that a Sonic game in 3D has the potential to be more fun than one in 2D could ever be, then fine, that's your opinion. But personaly i dont think so. Yes, natuarlly there is a lot of things you can do in a 3D game that cant be done in a 2D one, but that's not quite the same as saying that 2D cant possibly be as fun as 3D.

The only person in this topic that has stated that one dimension is inherently inferior to the other is you, batson.

I don't like where we are right now, and i'm not positive i know where we're going. In Generations. we have a "light story" consisting of someodd 30 CG cutscenes, is it? That's a lot of jokes or a story with actual events happening between the premise and Time Eater. And then we have City Escape which is designed with the Adventure-era freedom in mind, but no one in any demos has proven or disproven that the reflex gameplay engine is capable of handling that. That being said, i either love where we're going or absolutely hate it. I just need to untie this darn blindfold...

And also about the 3D thing. Sonic entered 3D over ten years ago, so completely severing that would have a magnitude nearly as large as severing side-scrolling gameplay, if not just as large.

For the most part, yes.

I absolutely despise the notion that SEGA needs to get back to telling stories like those in the Adventure Series. Those stories were mildly interesting at times, but they thrust Sonic into a world he never belonged in.

My problem with Adventure is that it feels like the story was written for an entirely different series, and they just stuffed Sonic characters into the game. Sonic should never have been brought into the real world; it completely robbed him of his charm. Imagine if Nintendo were to suddenly abandon Mario's traditional world and suddenly he was running around hyperrealistic cities, fighting water demigods, and saving the Earth from getting pummeled by the giant spaceship Bowser's grandfather built.

By the Mario comparison, I'm not suggesting that Sonic take the Mario approach of simplistic stories, what I'm saying is that Sonic should stick to his roots. Sonic stories can be dark, they can be serious, but they should never feel completely alien like they did in Adventure. The Death Egg Saga is proof that you can tell an awesome story without needing to set the game in the real world.

While Colors' story was lacking in some departments, I do think it was a major step in the right direction. Sonic was back in a fantasy world and something about it just felt right. I hope they continue this trend into the next era.

My problem with Adventure is that it feels like the story was written for an entirely different series, and they just stuffed Sonic characters into the game. Sonic should never have been brought into the real world;

For the most part, yes.

I absolutely despise the notion that SEGA needs to get back to telling stories like those in the Adventure Series. Those stories were mildly interesting at times, but they thrust Sonic into a world he never belonged in.

I never said humans don't belong. It's the world they put the humans in and, for the record, Unleashed was a huge step up in this regard.

If you and others think that a Sonic game in 3D has the potential to be more fun than one in 2D could ever be, then fine, that's your opinion. But personaly i dont think so. Yes, natuarlly there is a lot of things you can do in a 3D game that cant be done in a 2D one, but that's not quite the same as saying that 2D cant possibly be as fun as 3D.