Awoo.

IDW Solicitation for 900th Adventure and two other comic issues in Sonic the Hedgehog

Shiny Gems
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into IDW Releasing Two Sonic One Shots, Plus a Silver-Centric Issue This August at some point.

1 hour ago, Ghelatlishol said:

Ok, I'm trying to get into the comics myself but I don't understand the numbering system IDW is using.

Are they releasing individual issues and THEN grouping them into books? I work at a public library and I see the books, and from what I gather looking at their website it seems like the individual issues get compiled into the books. Am I right or just clueless? 

And holy mother of purple I had no idea Archie did so many, but of course. 

They release individual issues, and then eventually compile them to release as graphic novels. And there are some extra-long event one-off issues here and there that are separate to the main book but still matter.

• Thumbs Up 2

900? Where'd that number come from?

Thought it was Sonic being enough of an narcissist to count how many adventures he's gone on in IDW universe and deciding to do it "Big" for what feels like a milestone to him. Something crazy that is also just inside the barrier of within Sonic's character.

Some people count steps.

Sonic counts saves, plans foiled, bots bashed, and Emeralds obtained. 

9 hours ago, SynthSt0rm said:

I really want to get into reading the IDW comics, but comic reading is a VERY expensive hobby, maybe I'll do it over the Summer perhaps? My dad is was a big comic book reader at the time, so he could probably teach me some things about it.

I recommend the collections actually because it's cheaper, or even cheaper... the collections kindle, so digitally, I noticed the prices are like a lot lower. Or maybe you can try 1 comic to see if you like the series before start reading.

I actually do have the anniversary edition of the first issue physically (I got it from Midtown Comics when I went to NYC) so I’ll give it a read in my free time, thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

WHAAAT?

I'm positively flabbergasted that they picked up the main Fleetway Sonic writer. Was there reasoning behind it? Is his expertise on a very obscure branch of Sonic needed for the project?

I don't want to hype myself for anything, but maaaaybe

(then again, if we get IDW/Fleetway crossover without Archie it would be weird as hell)

I'd say not to expect anything from Fleetway in the comic. This is meant to be a celebration of Sonic's English comic history most of which Sega isn't willing to sort the legal stuff out with, therefore Kitching and Elson are here to represent that that there is a history even if they can't touch it. I expect they're writing and drawing Sega Sonic material and that in itself is the Fleetway representation. Archie's represented by Ian, Evan, and everyone else that previously worked on Archie. That's a bit frustrating to me given they all work on IDW already and wish that they had brought in Archie staff not already on IDW's books. I know Penders is a problem but you could have reached out to Bollers or Gallagher? Heck, Dan Slott said he's open to doing things on twitter. Spaz has only done one cover for IDW, couldn't he have gotten a variant? Maybe someone like Butler is on interiors but otherwise... eh. It is what it is and maybe when the book actually comes out I'll be surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm... this is a celebration of Sonic's entire comic history, so what are the odds that the Freedom Fighters might show up as a surprise..

Spoiler

Very low, I know

Trying to figure out how they go to 900 has actually put me over 900... get ready for some math

The table below doesn't have a qty for Fleetway specials or spin-offs (as I'm no well versed in those and if they had 'new' content), nor does it include some of the educational games/spin-offs unique to very obscure systems. Also not include are re-releases/compilation packs.

In total this got me to 834. Add 60 (and counting) IDW comics + 16 IDW spin-off for a total of 910

**HOWEVER**  if I drop the Fleetway comics down to 184 by removing the 39 reprints, that would put the table down to 795. At that point I take the 795 + 60 IDW + 16 IDW Spinoffs = 871. If I add the Archie Sonic Super Digest (17) and the Archie Sonic Super Special Magazine (13), then that would be 871 + 17+ 13 = 901. This is the closest I've been able to get.

image.thumb.png.065fa28c717964575d23f7ad012603d4.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah... I'm now totally convinced that this whole "900th adventure" thing is just total BS at this point!

What's important is that it's close enough that it can round to 900, in some way

This isn't something that planned years in advance, they were probably looking for an opportunity to have an event issue ASAP and this was the best idea someone came up with.

Guys, the 900th means it's the 900th english comic. Of course you can't get the math to work if you're throwing in games and movies and animation. And yes, it means that no, it's not "total BS at this point".

Like, I get the way it's been stated has been dubious, for obvious reasons; but if your math's not matching, please trust the people making the comic enough to accept that maybe you have the count wrong, not that they do.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

On 5/23/2023 at 8:06 PM, Atharun said:

The table below doesn't have a qty for Fleetway specials or spin-offs (as I'm no well versed in those and if they had 'new' content)

1994, 1995, 1996 Summer Specials & Knuckles Knockout Special had new content.

1999 Summer Special no new content.

There's 2 yearbooks that aren't Fleetway. https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Yearbook_(1993) https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Yearbook_(1994)

We also had 6 Adventure Game Books https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Adventure_Gamebook_(Fantail)

And 4 novels https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Martin_Adams if any of those count

7 hours ago, Mauro Fonseca said:

Guys, the 900th means it's the 900th english comic. Of course you can't get the math to work if you're throwing in games and movies and animation. And yes, it means that no, it's not "total BS at this point".

Like, I get the way it's been stated has been dubious, for obvious reasons; but if your math's not matching, please trust the people making the comic enough to accept that maybe you have the count wrong, not that they do.

Huh.. well I'll be damned, the math maths out

8 hours ago, Mauro Fonseca said:

Several of those in the link, I had never even heard of. I may have to look into tracking some of them down. I'm a bit surprised they'd include reprints but if it means getting to a big round number, then it makes sense for the sake of ease.

While I doubt it'd be included in the book itself, it'd be nice if someone authoritative gave us the official count sometime between now and the book's release. I imagine some stuff not listed there like the digital comics for Secret Rings and Shattered Crystal would be in the count over the Archie Halloween story. Also, the count leaves off the Sonic Sunday Stories which makes some sense, but honestly would make more sense to include than full reprints like some of the Super Special Magazines, Digests, and Free Comic Book Day stories.

To be fair, that's not the official count, but it IS close enough that I'm comfortable linking it because it gets the point across- this is the 900th issue of English-language Sonic comics.

I doubt there'll be an official release of the counting that was done to get to 900 since that'd involve directly acknowledging comics from other companies for which there's multiple reasons to not wanting to do so. But the gist of it is what's stated. It's a fun little celebration of the legacy of Sonic as english-language comics, hence having the people in IDW that already represent IDW and Archie, and bringing over someone to represent Fleetway.

• Thumbs Up 3

All the connecting covers for the upcoming Endless Summer event have been revealed, by the way

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

IDW Sonic the Hedgehog’s 900th Adventure Cover A 

spacer.png

Art: Tracy Yardley

That cover looks absolutely amazing for Cover A of the 900th Adventure.